Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Fireplace needs help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireplace needs help Sign In/Join 
posted
Does anyone have ideas on how I could take this fireplace to the next level? I am willing to have someone come in to help with tiling, etc...
I have never been fond of the tile surround which is a terracotta tile .... please send me ideas!!! Looking for a more sophisticated look for my living room!

Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you already figured out one option, Rina. Upgrade the tile and you've upgraded the f/p - say to stone or marble, whatever you prefer, depending on the overall look/style you'd like.

Good Luck!

Posts: 486 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Depending on style of decor, perhaps a glass style mosaic would appeal to your design esthetic. There are lots of tile options to consider. A recent poster upgraded her surround with a Moroccan inspired tile.

Posts: 18685 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to say that I really love your fireplace!!! It is unique and seems that it would be easy to use different colors/patterns with it.

Many times the colors and patterns of tiles seem to limit the versatility of decorating.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I think your fireplace is adorable. I just love how it's rounded.
I understand though you wanting to change it up a bit. I think changing out the tile is a good option.
Can we see pics of the rest of the room? Smile

Posts: 4708 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
SJF-You are SO gonna get it! They have some awesome tiles! Eventually, we will be doing a bath reno and I want to use some unique tile treatments that are both attractive for today but still compatible with the style of our 1940s house. Looks like they have some great products to bridge the decades while remaining appropriate for the future. Thanks for the intro!

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would be pretty would be a beautiful slate for the front and opening. Paint the rest of the fireplace with a complimenting color picking up a color from the slate. For the mantle, how about having a beautiful custom wood mantle made stained in a warm finish?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IF the fireplace were mine, I would google pictures of fireplaces and use molding to spiff it up. From what little I can see of your room, it looks pretty traditional. I would think molding like columns and maybe appliques would beef up the mantel so much that the tile would no longer bother you.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post