Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Process in Glazing Furniture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Process in Glazing Furniture Sign In/Join 
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted
I would like to glaze this little table and not sure of the procedure. I found something called Medium Glaze at Hobby Lobby but wasn't sure if this what I needed. I want to keep a creamy white color. Should I paint it first?

Posts: 2269 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Georgia, I have only tried glazing once. The color looked liked mud over the paint so I stripped it all back off the table.

But here is information on the GF products and perhaps some inspiration for you.

https://generalfinishes.com/re...e-milk-paints-glazes

Glazing techniques
http://www.allthingsthrifty.co...g-furniture-101.html

Hope that helps!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9462 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Georgia, others on here would probably know better than I do, but isn't this glazed look sort of out of style now? I mean as a technique for a casual project person.

Posts: 12858 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOS: I wonder if Georgia Peach might be thinking of the glazing technique that is popular on high-end kitchen cabinetry. I'm not sure that kind of finish can be achieved with a do-it-yourself kit.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
Georgia, I have only tried glazing once. The color looked liked mud over the paint so I stripped it all back off the table.

But here is information on the GF products and perhaps some inspiration for you.

https://generalfinishes.com/re...e-milk-paints-glazes

Glazing techniques
http://www.allthingsthrifty.co...g-furniture-101.html

Hope that helps!

Thank you BR for the links. Someone on this board showed a glazed finished piece and I have always wanted to try it. You are always so helpful and I appreciate it.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Georgia,

You are welcome! What look do you want for your piece? Tell us your overall goal and perhaps we can help more with the project.

Do you have access to Annie Sloan chalk paint books through the library or a friend? She details the techniques using clear paste wax first and a darker paste wax over it all. You can create the distressed look on your pieces. I don't think glazed or distressed pieces ever go out of style. I do like wax methods too as you can always refinish a rough spot by re-waxing. Especially easy for pieces that might be subject to dings, etc.

Here is another link to the books that might help with ideas. I have loaned mine out right now but the first two shown here are very detailed.

http://shop.robynstorydesigns....pplies-and-products/

Another book for you too.

http://shop.robynstorydesigns....mustard-seed-10-off/

Can you play with a sample board and the glaze to see how it works first before you try it on your project? I usually start with the sample fairly close to the original piece so you can get an accurate comparison.

Since your piece is already white, do the sample that is also painted white. Good luck!

PS: You can also use stain and create the glaze/distressed look. Simply dry brush on the stain. Use a small craft brush and apply as much as you like. I used a dry brush and created a wood grain look when there wasn't any grain. You can use a dry brush to also wipe off the stain/glaze to create something different too. It's fun to play with these pieces and see what you can accomplish. Show us pics. I'll be watching as I have a large craft armoire that is calling for another change of color.

posted Hide Post
In my experience your first try will be terrible so do practice. Use something that is easy to wipe off but still not terrible slick.

Glaze basically makes your paint thinner and slower to dry. You can practice by using craft paint thinned with water. It will dry a little fast but will give you some practice time.

If you have major design faces just glob it on and wipe off leaving it in the grooves. But it does not look like you have that. Do you just want to darken the edges?

Posts: 7138 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Saw this site this morning and thought of your project and questions. Look at all the techniques. Smile

http://www.thepurplepaintedlad...to-make-a-wash-with/

posted Hide Post
Despite the authors opinion a 'wash' can be made from any type of paint. You do not need the expensive paint.

It is easy to experiment with the cheap bottles of craft paint. Some of them are pretty watered down to begin with.

Posts: 7138 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Just an update to say "Thank You" for your suggestions. I did try the glazing technique and yes, BR, it does look like mud, or as DGD says, chocolate pudding Smile Not sure the glazing is what I'm trying to accomplish, maybe the distressed look or even a washed look as Metwo suggests. Instructions for distressing called for banging and dinging it up a bit but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do that! I think I'll just end of staining it darker. This little table is part of a bedroom suite which I plan to use in my spare bedroom. So far, I've purchased the comforter and pillow shams and made the valances per your recommendation, BR. They turned out great! See my June 2nd post "Ideas for Window Treatments...". I do think I want to re-paint the walls but not sure what color. I'd like to pull a color from the comforter, possibly the gold. I'll post pics soon! Thanks again and sorry it has taken so long for me to respond. I truly appreciate all of you taking the time Smile