Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  DIY glass front kitchen cabinets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY glass front kitchen cabinets Sign In/Join 
Picture of my2gals
posted
Has anyone done this themselves? My current home has beautiful custom glass front cabinets that I will dearly miss. I am a dish person Smile and love having all my pretties on display. New cabinetry will not be in the budget for new place so Im wondering if I can just remove center panels and add glass? Seems easy enough but wondering if there are any tips or tricks I need to be aware of?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: my2gals,

Posts: 901 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
You can -- we did but we didn't do it ourself -- I had a handyman remove the panels and then I took the doors to a glass shop and had them put the glass in -- I did 7 doors and the total cost was less than $10 per door -- but

a - that was a few years ago

b - we live in the middle of the US where everything is cheaper!

Oh and I did it 20 years ago and it's still as nice as they were when I did it.

Martha

Posts: 6046 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
One of my friends grandson did this for a wall hung cabinet in her kitchen. I will look for a picture as the design was really nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12768 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Linderhof- your cabinets look beautiful. They have the same straight lines as mine have so nice to see how lovely they turned out.

Thank you LOS Smile

Posts: 901 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My 2 gals -- I've never regretted it either!

Thanks for the nice words about my cabinets.

Martha

Posts: 6046 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Definitely doable and something we have on our DIY list. Do a google search. It is bound to have how-to tutorials.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post