Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Make your own cornice quickly and easily
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Make your own cornice quickly and easily Sign In/Join 
posted
I had been looking to add a cornice board to my kitchen window but I knew it would be expensive...almost $300 for custom. Then I found ideas on the internet using thick foam insulation boards to make a cornice. I thought why not, what could I lose but the $7 I spent for the insulation board. (I used the 2" thick board.) It was super easy to make and I just used an electric knife to make the cuts. I used the long landscape fabric pins to connect the pieces along with reinforcement of clear duck tape. I splurged on the fabric buying good upholstery fabric for more body along with adding batting. I shopped online for unusual trim to add interest. I was able to find a copper coin beaded fringe and added a French braid gimp on top of that. (Layering 2 or 3 trims gives it a more custom look.) Attach it to the cornice using fabric glue. Bottom line I spent a total of $45 - $50 for everything and I am very pleased with the results.

Just google "make cornice with foam insulation board" and you will get a lot of ideas. Oh, and hanging it is a breeze. Install two braces or brackets the same size as the width of the cornice board on the side and set the cornice on them. (I made my board 3" wide on either side so I bought 3" braces.) If your cornice goes all the way up to the ceiling no additional support is needed since the ceiling will keep it stable on the brace. If it doesn't go all the way up just a strip of good old fashioned Velcro on the brace and the board will stabilize it just fine.

(Tried attaching a pic but it wouldn't take)

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post