Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds 10/14/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds 10/14/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Happy Monday and Happy Columbus Day! I hope everyone has their recent and/or favorite treasures ready to share. Please post pictures or just tell us about them. We always love to hear prices too.

I didn't find any treasures this week but I'm finally getting around to painting the family room at the condo. It's taped and ready to go so hopefully I'll get it finished today.

Okay, who's going to start us off???

Posts: 10480 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I'll start Skyler but sadly (or happily for my cluttered home) I did not acquire anything last week except a book and some magazines.

I will tell about the book because it was written by a woman from this town (Song of three islands) the middle island she talks about is not really an island but the largest piece of property in town. My life brushed very briefly against hers one time and now I understand what at the time was confusing to me.

This is a picture I took last summer of a derelict house on the property that I believe was the birthplace of director John Ford.

This land (2100 acres) is very beautiful with farms and paddocks and on the ocean etc. When DD was little we used to drive through it to see deer! At the entrance to the property is an old Grange hall now owned by that family and which is used for community events or fund raisers etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12519 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Thanks for getting us started LOS. Your book sounds very interesting. Nice that you're able to relate to it. I've always found authors (and artists) to be very interesting. They have a unique way of viewing life.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
My first find is the best one...
newest DGD, Shaylin.

She is #11 for us, count is now 7 girls, 4 boys.

Wow. That came out really big. I don't know why, most of my photos are really tiny???
Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Posts: 1298 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also found this floral arrangement with original price tag for $49.99.
I paid $6.79.

Posts: 1298 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bee cloche, candle plate, and candleholder:
.25 each
I will paint the plate and holder to match the cloche and putting them all together to make a complete cloche.

posted Hide Post
Finally, a headboard for $5.

I have Halloween plans for it.

TTFN,
Candy

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Skyler,
Thank you so much for this wonderful MMF's thread! I LOVE coming to check out what was discovered this week!

los,
A book and magazines ARE a GOOD find! They are so expensive these days that finding any is such a good find!
And especially the book about life that took place near you and where you have visited!

Thanks for sharing this with us! Smile

Christmas Candy,
What a beautiful baby! OH MY! And what a pretty name, Shaylin!
Nice floral arrangement, and great deal..., but your new DGD stole the show! Smile

Edited to add:
Was posting while you were still loading photos! LOVE that wire cloche!!! Will make a GREAT display combined! Good eye!
Cool to get a 'WOOD' headboard to make a Halloween plans for it! great value!

As for me:
Working on my lamps, unloaded the DW for the first time in 4 yrs... I DID IT!!! Right shoulder really bothering me now... BUT I did it! Smile Not planning on bragging to DH just yet so I don't inherit the job for good!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9705 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the sweet little baby!

I check these, too, Mary Ruth.

I convinced my DH to go with me. He bought me an orange flashlight. I discovered it has a ring on it to attach a lanyard. He thinks I can't keep up with my flashlights. lol Then, we went to get the batteries. His comment," The batteries cost more than the flashlight did!" He has teachable qualities. Whew!

Posts: 5142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful little grand daughter Christmas Candy!

Posts: 7164 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Your granddaughter is precious Christmas Candy. Congratulations on your 11th Smile How wonderful!

Posts: 2202 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations for the best find! Sorry, haven't read any others. Will check back later this evening.

Another item from the sale at church. Think the most expensive item was $4.00. This bowl was $1.50, I think. Forgot price last week, but it was more than likely the same price as this one.

Haven't had a chance to look it up to see if it is depression on not. It has an old look to it, but could be wrong about that. Just liked it.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6262 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Thanks Skyler for our weekly thread. It's the best part of Monday!

Lady, Those books on local history are interesting. Glad you figured out the piece of the puzzle.

Candy, Well at #11 she is just a precious and beautiful GD! Your other finds are fun too and I know you will work paint magic on those.

Mary Ruth, Have fun working on your lamps and hope your shoulder improves.

Trish, Hope you will be able to find your flashlight when you need it. We have the flash light sagas here too. I had to get a new red one to match the red truck. Blue wouldn't do anymore. Is that decorating or what? Wink

Have a fun week of great finds Everyone!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9429 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Christmas Candy I truly envy you your precious find. She is beautiful!

I found a few things when we went to Nashville to the doctors at some Goodwills and Hobby Lobby but nothing fantastic. My favorite is a small primitive style cabinet that hangs on the wall but I have to find just the right spot for it. My daughter however found a gorgeous curio cabinet and her and my ds just got it home today. It was for her room and could not be more perfect. She has it all cleaned up and accessorized.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5710 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Well Christmas candy, I wouldn't care about any other finds for a year if I could have a precious one like yours! She is one sweet little package of pink! Aren't they so sweet and clean looking?

The book I got at the swap shop is really about mental illness running through a family. Not a history of the area, but of the disfunction of a family.

Posts: 12519 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Strings,
What a great bowl, and for only $1.50! The pattern in it is beautiful! I am sure it is vintage, but have not seen one like this before.

Trish,
cute about the flashlight!

Lisa Ann,
That will be nice when you can post a pic of your cabinet!

Posts: 9705 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOS, sounds like an interesting book. I am an avid reader and am always buying books.

Trish, congrats on the new flashlight. I have one that I keep in the basement under the stairs as I have lots of décor stashed under there and it helps me find what I am seeking!

Strings, you really have a wonderful assortment of glass items from that church sale. I'd say you really scored!!

Lisa Ann, sounds like a fab cabinet. Hope we see pictures soon.

MR, glad to hear you are making progress. Yes, don't let DH know just yet, LOL

We had a lovely visit with my stepdaughter and her family, especially the new DGD, but they live in San Diego!!!! So, I won't get to see this precious little sweetheart for another few months. It is not a bad place to "have" to go visit, LOL, but not the same as just dropping by for a visit on the spur of the moment. Frown

Thanks everybody. We are truly blessed to have our wonderful DGK's and families!

Candy

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I've been missing but alas, I've not been anywhere either but have been enjoying everyone's finds!!!!

LOS -- a book and a magazine are treasure and how great that you knew the author!

Candy -- we have a new one of those as well -- perhaps the best MMF!!! Your floral arrangement is neat and the best part is the price and I can't wait to see what you do with all those pieces -- for all of .75 and a Halloween headboard? This year or next?

MR -- can't wait to see the lamps finished. When I had my knee surgery I let DH do the laundry (climbing up and down stairs with the laundry basket) as long as I could . . . eventually, the jig was up and I had the job back!

Trish -- we have lots of flashlights that we never can seem to find when we need them! LOL!

Strings -- you found the best things at that church sale --another beautiful bowl!

Lisa Ann -- can't wait to see pics of your finds!

Candy -- I know what you mean -- our DGD (and only grandchild) is in Minneapolis -- a good 8 hours away. We've seen her twice and will see her again at Christmas -- and she'll be so big then!

Martha

Posts: 5816 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Christmas Candy, Linderhof!
DH is too smart, caught on!!! I am now on a mission to go food shopping.. HE asked for his favorite dishes to be made....!!!

I make large amounts of spaghetti sauce, Lasagna, meat balls, etc... and freeze amount-sizes for his lunch to take to work. He is running out... so TIME to COOK! That too is exhausting with all the pans, dishes, carrying... that needs to be done... But OOH I am so in the mood for our Lasagna with homemade sauce!!! Smile

I can always REST tomorrow, while enjoying a dish of lasagna for lunch!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Lots of great finds this week....and a cute one too!
I love looking at what everyone discovers and appreciate you all sharing Smile