Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  One step forward, three steps back (sigh)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One step forward, three steps back (sigh) Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
I'm sure everyone who's every built or remodeled can relate to the frustration. Just when we selected (but thankfully have not yet ordered), we learn what NOT to install from our trusted plumber in our master bath remodel. It took some time to find a comfort height, non contemporary, smooth bottom (no snake or capped bolt) mid priced toilet and we thought we found the perfect match in a catalog via a bath shop...a highly rated Toto. Our knowledgeable plumber tells us that the entire tank has to be removed for common repairs and parts can take some time to replace tho I believe an American brand can work. In fact a friend of mine uses our plumber to replace a flush valve recently in her NEW Toto toilet. This means the plumber will take more time to repair and we all know that increases the cost. We find that free standing acrylic tubs can be a bear to install and most likely will involve some cutting in the ceiling of the first floor beneath it. Note my separate inquiry on this topic. We learn our plumber prefers Moen shower heads (among one or two other name brands) vs the German brand Grohe (sp?) which previously was recommended by four experienced people though the plumber agrees the pressure might be superior. I would pull my hair out about now, but I can't spare it. I am doing my best to keep my mind and marriage in tact. Grrrrrr Thanks for allowing me to vent. :-/ Those who've come to know me knows that I ultimately weigh the pros and cons and do the best I can.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
froo froo..as for the showerheads, i've consistently used and replaced, waterpiks...i used to have extreme headaches (i called them my 10 hour disasters) and used a waterpik pulser for relief...yes, i have to replace from time to time but at under $100, and closer to $50 i sure don't mind...take into consideration your type of water...we're city water, but lake-based so not as hard as some cities...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
We have well water with a softener system.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Froo,

Sending you a big box of your favorite treat. Chocolate? Cookies or Donuts? Re-nos are not for sissies but persistence (and research) will pay off for you.

We also had the saga of finding the right toilet in a bath remodel. Our plumber at the time really liked the Toto Drake model. Not sure why we didn't go with it. Color perhaps?

Not sure how often a toilet needs repairs or parts so perhaps that really should not be factored into your decision.

Might find something here that helps with your search. It's all you wanted to know about them and probably more. LOL.

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

There were issues with Moen and finishes a while back and hopefully they have all been fixed. But our plumber likes them too.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We have several different brands of the handheld/massaging shower heads in all of our showers. They all work really well, and replacement is simple. Unscrew old hose or shower head, new teflon tape, screw new hose or head on. They work both as a regular, high mounted shower head, or as a hand held.

They are my choice for stalls or bath/shower combos just because the hose allows rinsing of the entire shower (and easy pet washing/rinsing). Placing a separate holder lower on the wall can also allow one to shower hands free while avoiding getting your hair wet.

Moen and Grohe are both good and don't skimp on valve quality (behind the wall), but many other shower head brands can work just as well, but maybe not last quite as long?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo, I can't even imagine the frustration with a remodel. I don't have any knowledge about most of the questions in your various posts so I haven't been posting on them, but I'm sending you positive thoughts...Smile

As to toilets, I have several 20+ year old Totos and they are absolutely the best toilets I've ever had. I have one stupid 7-year-old Kohler Kathryn toilet and it is trouble all the time. There's only one replacement seat that costs a fortune and is made of pressed wood, which I hate. I have to plunge it out at least once a month and always make sure the handle is in the correct position after flushing or it will stick open. If it didn't mean repairing the stone floor, I would rip the thing out and replace it with a Toto.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
BR, a good milk chocolate box or bar with nuts PLEASE! Smile

Thanks for the link, but DH. Is now anti Toto due to the plumber's cautioning that the entire tank needs to be removed to replace a flush valve and since my GF just had the same plumber replace that part in her BRAND NEW Toto, this did not sit well with DH. The time it would take to make a simple repair can be costly. I may have to abandon my dream for a smooth bottomed, non contemporary, affordable, comfort height toilet.

I am still leaning toward the Grohe shower head due to the high recommendations from several sources. BTW, we decided to have a chrome bar with clip on/off sprayer vs a separate additional shower head with dual control. If positioned properly, we don't see the need for two shower heads.
FYI, the shower head I am sold on was demoed for me.

The tub instillation is still cloudy as we wonder if our plumber is correct that the ceiling beneath will provide the access for it's plumbing (I hope not). Update as to whether to save almost half the cost of the tub if ordered thru Signature Hardware, this morning's research sent up too many red flags.

My heartfelt thanks to my buds who are trying to assist with this remodel. We will see how this pans out as a kitchen remodel is most likely to follow. Bare with me friends. Your support is a blessing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
When you are YOUR OWN contractor, then the hardship sits on your shoulders. It is a tough position to be in!

Good luck with your project!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
best of luck with the decisions you have to make Froo... you are always thorough, so I know you'll pick exactly whats correct for your home.

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sonny. Good to see you.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Just asking...does your plumber by any chance "get you the supplies and products" to do the work? Sometimes plumbers prefer certain products that they stock, or sell, because of course they make more if they use those products. Or sometimes they are just more familiar with one line over another.

I have 4 Toto toilets in my house and I love them. My favorite toilets ever.

I like both Moen and Grohe.

Don't be too quick to change your choices just because one plumber has an opinion. Do your research, ask for more than one opinion, and then make your choices. Then stick to your choices.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Cocok, have you ever had to replace the flush valve and/or the fill valve without removing the tank? These are the issues our plumber warned us about and what a GF just had done by him in her NEW TOTO TOILET.

Also our plumber never pushes a certain brand of part and always gives us his expert option when asked.

Please understand that I weigh more then one opinion before making a decision. Perhaps I should pose this question on the remodeling board.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

posted Hide Post
Froo, I've never had to replace a valve in any of my Toto's, but I looked up the tank removal and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Here's the how-to link.
http://www.totousa.com/Support...shvalvetwopiece.aspx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Gracie, I was so anxious to view your link and showed my DH who is quite handy. Unfortunately the how to instructions confirm what our plumber stated namely that the tank has to be removed and turned upside down to replace a flush valve. The process involved is more time consuming than most American made toilets. That's a shame since the brand appears to be top rated. Thanks again for the link, but my hopes have been dashed as DH gave it a thumb's down.

posted Hide Post
I saw that the tank had to be removed and turned upside down, but it just didn't seem that hard to do, especially in light of the much better performance of the Toto brand. However, I understand that you have to abide by your husband's decision since he is probably the one who would be doing the work. I hope you find a different brand that you like.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We have had really good luck with Kohler toilets. But I have always asked the plumbing supply store (not the box store) people which ones they have the best reports on. There are differences in the "throat" and trap areas in many toilets that can cause issues during flushing. Sometimes box stores can also get "seconds", where the glaze might have a flaw, and although it looks the same...may not function the same?

We have a couple (Briggs?) brand at the mountain home, and they will be out by the curb before too much longer.Wink

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Perhaps his concern is not only the added steps of removing the tank and flipping it but the risk of dropping it and cracking the tank. DH has arthritis in his hand...not to mention a tender knee.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Perhaps his concern is not only the added steps of removing the tank and flipping it but the risk of dropping it and cracking the tank. DH has arthritis in his hand...not to mention a tender knee.

You are so right that sometimes it's better to avoid a situation that's fraught with opportunities for accidents, especially since you have a choice.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Well, you have to feel comfortable with your choices. My Toto toilets have never needed to have the flush valve replaced. I have had them for at least 10 years. There are plenty of good toilets on the market. I am sure you will find something else you like.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post