Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  You're thoughts or opinions please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You're thoughts or opinions please Sign In/Join 
posted
The tiles on the bottom part of our MB wall are a med/light grey on the silverish side.
Here is the paint swatch we plan to use for the the top of the walls. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/cinder
The floor is white with grey running though it and grey grout.
The vanity cabinets will be a light grey in the cottage look and Kohler ice grey rectangular set-in sinks.
I am torn between 2 Silestone quartz countertops and am curious what you think.
I keep veering back and forth, back and forth. It is driving me crazy.
Here are the 2 choices.
http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/color/chrome/
http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/color/zirconium/
I "think" I know which one I want (at least today -- ha!) but would like to hear your thoughts.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on your description and the sample photos, I think I'd want Zirconium because it would provide more contrast in your monotone color scheme. Sounds like it will be great! Now, tell us which way you are leaning today.

Posts: 3392 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! Very funny because you are the one who so often seems to go my way in things.
Up until yesterday, when I perused Houzz grey cabinets, I was strongly in the Zirconium camp for the very reasons you mentioned, but the more I looked at all of the bathroom vanities, I was shocked to see that virtually none of them had dark countertops. All had the light or white ones.
The look was classy rather than more chic I guess. So I changed my mind to the chrome last night, thinking the chrome swatch looked better with the door sample than the zirconium did.
I also have considered the hardware knobs which are called Siro Savannah. http://www.knobs-n-pulls.com/S...Savannah_c_1253.html
You are right that everything will be more monochromatic with the chrome.
Thanks for your always helpful advice. I will take it into consideration.
I await other opinions...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
I don't mind mono color...as I've said before i'm crazy for towels in almost any color, and with monotone, you can have a field day!

Posts: 8518 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Both are neutral. Perhaps the grey more so (because of the monotone palate) which as sjf said, you can go with any color for walls, curtains and towels.

I have found that whatever is the most costliest needs to be the most neutral -- you can change out towels for not much money -- to replace a countertop is a bigger undertaking dollar wise.

Think of all of those 50s and 60s bathrooms with pink, yellow and aqua tile, toilets and sinks. How great would it have been if they were all white and the walls were painted pink, yellow or aqua!

I have learned the hard way the secret of big dollar items being neutral -- and it's cost me!

Martha

Posts: 5789 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Well, you didn't ask about the Platinum white countertop, but that is what I would choose. Your bathroom sounds wonderful, and I think a lighter counter would offer a bit more contrast to all the gray.

Posts: 5247 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good thing about both your options is that they are both neutral. I can't see going wrong no matter which you use.

Posts: 3392 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
Well, you didn't ask about the Platinum white countertop, but that is what I would choose. Your bathroom sounds wonderful, and I think a lighter counter would offer a bit more contrast to all the gray.

Aychie:
Well girl, you sure got me going.
I never saw the Silestone sample of White Platinum. It looks really good in the picture so I have to hightail it to the nearest countertop place and grab me a sample.
Why can't things be easy peasy?

posted Hide Post
Oh great! Now another perfect choice!!!!

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I think I'd like a white countertop too, to match the floor.

Wanda

Posts: 4851 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arepo:
Why can't things be easy peasy?

My bad. Smile Hope everything works out for you, no matter which countertop you choose.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Chrome too....and agree that towels can make the contrast or finishing touch in color....easy to bring home and try out.

That being said I am going with a neutral ivory/cream bathroom with a darker counter top of Silestone Bamboo which introduces more contrast but being that the rest of my tones are soooooooooo light it needs that....and can pick out the medium tones in vanity cupboard and picture frame. I want a spa look and little bathrooms hopefully look bigger with lighter hues...Wink.

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7310 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aychie: You can be my bathroom designer anytime. How I ever missed that Silestone swatch of White Platinum I will never know.
All I know is that I finally found one (no easy feat I will tell you that!) and BINGO! it matches perfectly with my idea and the fact that the ceiling will be this color:
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...paint-color/frostine
Very many thanks for your feedback.
This room is coming together now with the way I pictured it to look thanks to all the help I always get here.
:-)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenAlice:

...I am going with a neutral ivory/cream bathroom with a darker counter top of Silestone Bamboo which introduces more contrast but being that the rest of my tones are soooooooooo light it needs that....and can pick out the medium tones in vanity cupboard and picture frame. I want a spa look and little bathrooms hopefully look bigger with lighter hues...Wink.

That Bamboo is a beautiful color and will go well with your spa theme. Good luck to you.
May you be as happy with your new make-over as I hope to be with mine.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Arepo, can't wait to see pix of the bathroom project when you are done!!

posted Hide Post
Now you're really testing me.
That's a project in itself for a technical do-do bird.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Based on your description and the sample photos, I think I'd want Zirconium because it would provide more contrast in your monotone color scheme. Sounds like it will be great! Now, tell us which way you are leaning today.

So you see? I went back to my original choice of zirconium. Anything else did not look that good with the ice grey rectangular sinks.
I even changed my knobs.

Jeffrey Alexander by Hardware Resources - Symphony - 1 3/8" Diameter Art Deco Knob in Satin Nickel https://www.knobbrands.com/coo...cts/f1977S-BNBDL.jpg

They'd better start sending my cabinets soon and start installing. I am not a Gemini for nothing! (fickle)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

posted Hide Post
I'm sure everyone agrees that we are eagerly awaiting pics!