Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Men, can't live without them.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Men, can't live without them..... Sign In/Join 
Picture of patty louise
posted
Just bought this antique settle. DH didn't waste any time turning into a "coat keeper". Roll eyes...

Posts: 10422 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
One step up from the floor. I guess that constitutes progress. Perhaps you should have bought a hall tree. Good luck retraining him. Wink

Posts: 18669 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
JUST noticed the hook on the wall. No excuse is valid IMHO. Smile

Posts: 18669 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I love your settle. I also love your wall treatment with the crown molding and paint stripe below. I saw that idea used by Sarah Richardson in one of her rooms. I loved it then...now to actually see it working is great. I also like your door frame treatment. I have the regular frames and have often thought I would like something like you have done. I think it would be neater than what I have now. Thank you so much for sharing. You have given me some things to think about. Marylee

UPDATE: I tried to put your name on this post, but it would not let me. Patty *****e is what I ended up with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
beautiful settee!!! Well - don't know what to say about the coat on the settee - but in my house, it would immediately have a cat making itself comfy on it. They're so tired of winter, too!!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5585 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Can't hardly stop laughing!

When we were kids, if we left things around in places where they didn't belong, the were confiscated for a month-toys, clothes, shoes...coats. Big Grin It was pretty effective. IF we were stunningly good, we MIGHT be able to chose ONE item we wanted out of the "lost & found" ahead of time.

I've often wondered if it works as well on men! Of course, if they behaved properly, whatever would we (women) have to complain about?!??? Big Grin

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
LOL at least he can't say it doesn't serve a purpose! You could find a gorgeous basket with floral arrangement for the bench to discourage use as a coat rack.

Lovely piece.

Posts: 3263 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Froo LOL! There was a mirror there with hooks. It was totally covered with his caps. Solved one problem but moved into another one! The thing you see on the wall is a beehive oil lamp.

Thank you Mriley! Wonder what wrong with *****e? LOL!

Out on a limb, thank you! A cat is much cuter that a coat!

Bella you have given me an idea....confiscating...love it!

Junk collector he would cover it up! LOL!

Posts: 10422 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Patty, I LOVE the settee. I also LOVE your home. Fantastic as always. I'd have a nice conversation with dh and tell him where he is to place his coat and if it's found thrown on your lovely settee again, it will be confiscated for good! Warn first, then act! Smile

I can't wait until warm temps return so that we catch beautiful glimpses of your amazing yard and gardens!

Posts: 9010 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous home and settle.

I'll get my Army-trained super neat and organized DH to have a SERIOUS talk with your DH... Smile

Posts: 5286 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll get my Army-trained super neat and organized DH

Don't think that always works Aychihuahua. When my DH was in the army and they had a surprise inspection and he had to open his locker, all the books fell out onto the floor! Which prompted his sargeant to say that a locker was not a library! But this is also, I think, the sargeant who said "you men have to quit corrugating in the hall!"

Patty *****e, that was one of our most desired pieces of furniture in the olden days! It works well. . . maybe too well, in your home! Some of us are naturally neat and others not!

Posts: 12578 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Than you Paintlady! Good idea - if it's works! I am still loving winter & sewing up a storm!

Aychihuahua thank you so much!

LOS thank you so much! I have always loved these benches & this is the first one I have seen that would fit on that wall.

I think DH needs a spanking......

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty louise,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
That's a LAMP?! Haaaa! In any event, it makes a more fitting coat hook, but I won't give your DH ideas. Wink

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
That's a LAMP?! Haaaa! In any event, it makes a more fitting coat hook, but I won't give your DH ideas. Wink
LOL! It has a name but I can't remember. Something that implies a night or tiny lamp.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Mriley Here is a pic of the molding under the crown. It's called picture rail for hanging your pictures. It was used when there were plaster walls so you didn't crumble the plaster.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Here's one more. I just love it! Makes hanging pic so easy!

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Oh, patty *****e I'm feeling your pain. It is like any horizontal surface around my place has a sign that says, "put anything and everything in this nice, clean and clear place". Drives me crazy. I have never found a solution, but when I get super annoyed I sweep the stuff onto the floor and let it lay there. Now THAT annoys my husband, and it kind of gets his attention. It seems to be a constant battle for us.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Oh and nice house Patty.
And since when is *****e (second half of your name) a word that gets edited? Weird.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
It must be in the breed (MEN). My husband uses my apothecary jar as a hat rack. Looks terribly attractive on the table too I might add. Frown

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7664 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Cocok LOL! My DH would just walk over it....maybe I could just never wash anything out of place. That would get him because he doesn't know how to use the washer!
Thank you so much! I can't imagine what is wrong with l o u i s e.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
My husband uses my apothecary jar as a hat rack. Looks terribly attractive on the table too I might add.

That's too funny Catie! One pet peeve I have is stuff on the kitchen table. Yep, he does that too. And if I leave it, we will have company!

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Love your antique settle, patty lou-ise! Good luck with the husband training! Wonder if double sided tape would have an effect. It works with cats. Big Grin LOL

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12721 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I think someone else had a problem with L-o-u-i-s as well. Can't figure it out as the t-r-i-g-g-e-r words here are sometimes a mystery.

Posts: 3263 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder if double sided tape would have an effect. It works with cats. Big Grin LOL

OMG that is hilarious Lucky!

Junk collector I don't get it either. *****? Tried it with a capitol letter & it still won't print. Maybe we should look it up in the dictionary? Might be a bad word that we don't know about. LOL!

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I know I am supposed to look at the settle but I love looking at your home. I noticed that the doorways have 2 different treatments. One has rosettes at the top and it looks like pocket doors? The other has a straight piece of wood at the top of the door way. Love the picture moulding. My great aunt had it in her house but would suspend the pictures with one piece of wire like ^ The would cause the picture to tilt out from the top. Were you thinking of a f@iry lamp on the wall?

piney

Posts: 3187 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
I finally got the Christmas stuff rearranged in the coat closet(below the stairs)...had to! my dh never seems to want to throw or give away any! we had so many on the coat rack one of the hooks broke, and it was blocking the heater...when the sub temps hit, the kitchen is freezing...so now it's limited to 3 coats...and a space heater....

Posts: 8528 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Ugh! So typical of men. I can relate to the coat thing. Just yesterday I hung up FIVE different jackets that DH had put on the backs of the kitchen chairs. Now mind you, the closet is a mere four paces away from the table that you actually have to walk by from the front door!!

Nice settee BTW and your home looks so cozy and inviting Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4859 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Pinecone! No pocket doors. In the first pic showing the settle, on the right is the entrance to the kitchen. This used to be a small doorway. Previous owners just opened it up so the trim is different. Some of the trim is original to the house. Some we installed. And yes, my pics tilt out from the wall a little.F a i r y lamp - that might be it!

Sjf that is too funny! When I used to be "biker chic" (70s) my bf hung his leather biker coat on another hall rack I had & the whole thing fell in the floor! Instead of getting rid of the coat rack, I got rid of the biker! LOL!

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hung up FIVE different jackets that DH had put on the backs of the kitchen chairs.

Like Catie said "it must be in the breed". LOL!
Thank you Wanda for the nice compliment! I love the "inviting" word.

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Great looking settee Patty. Great looking house too. Nice to see you posting Wink

Posts: 10495 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
LOL Patty, that's hysterical Smile

Posts: 10495 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a fireman and also served in the air force as a turret gunner. He looked like Robert Mitchum.A much more "man's man" would be pretty hard to find. He was neat, organized, and thought hangers were for clothes, not furniture. I know some men are slobs, but not ALL men are slobs.

Posts: 1781 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can beat you hands down. There are about 5 jackets, 10 prs. shoes and assorted tools in my beautiful, spacious front hall with cathedral ceiling...first thing people see when they come in. Before retirement, I'd spend oodles of time putting things away only to be asked where is etc. I figure at this age, they're not going to change, so I don't worry about it.

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know some men are slobs, but not ALL men are slobs.

I do agree Charles. My best friends husband is neat as a pin! I so enjoy seeing him actually hang up his clothes & put his shoes away! I think a lot has to do with how they were raised.
ETA: I know some women who are total slobs!

Suedorcoo you do have me beat! LOL! I know mine is not going to change. And there may come a day that I will wish his clothes were there...so for now I will just keep laughing!

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty *****e:
Suedorcoo you do have me beat! LOL! I know mine is not going to change. And there may come a day that I will wish his clothes were there...so for now I will just keep laughing!

Yup, so true.

Wanda

Posts: 4859 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
My Dad was a fireman and also served in the air force as a turret gunner. He looked like Robert Mitchum.A much more "man's man" would be pretty hard to find. He was neat, organized, and thought hangers were for clothes, not furniture. I know some men are slobs, but not ALL men are slobs.

ITA. My DH is neat, clean and orderly in everything he does. And that applies to his grooming as well. Funny thing is, my dear late Dad was the same way. Kept his surroundings neat and well-maintained,including his car, and he was always well-groomed. I guess I got used to that growing up and was attracted to that type of man.

posted Hide Post
Ah - so many ways to go in responding to this thread...Wink

First, Patty, I too am glad to see you posting and have always loved your house. And I love your new settle/settee...

Second, WHY are they censoring "*****e" (let's see if that makes it through...); for some weird reason it brings to mind the censoring of the song "Louie Louie" in the late 60s-lol!

Third, messy vs. neat husbands. My husband is very neat; I think it's due to his upbringing with a military dad and a stay-home mom who taught him well. But I also think it's partly my influence, since we've been married for almost 40 years and he knows by now that messes make me crazy!

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,
Funny, how in the Boston area Louie Louie was banned, and you and I wrote that in our replies, and it is the *****e that is*** out! LOL

Patty *****e, I have the distinct honor of KNOWING how your house FEELS as well as being beautiful! I can remember your house well... and the lovely grounds around it!

My husband is a great and sweet guy. Was a Drill Instructor for years, and had the military type upbringing... but after the 10th year of marriage... all the MESS came out.. NOW I call him PigPen.. from Charlie Brown.. the little boy who walks around in a cloud of dirt! LOL

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have said I too LOVE your settee and what looks like some of the rest of your home. But, I forgot one important item that on Feb. 11th remains in my hallway---our artificial Christmas tree in sections - yet to be taken downstairs placed in a bin and stored. So don't anybody complain!

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Love the settle!
The pictures of your living room takes me back to my wonderful grandparents home, where all the pictures hung from picture rails like yours!!
I have wonderful memories of that house. It had a coal furnace and in the winter time, we had to stay in bed until Gramp got up and stoked the furnace.
There was a big wall register in the dining room below one of the pictures hanging from the rail and in the winter, I loved to sit in a rocking chair by that register and read. It was so cozy and the heat just poured out at that register as it was right above the furnace!!
Thanks for reviving those memories for me!!
Candy

Posts: 1302 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Aychihuahua my mom was a neat freak & I am glad. I even made the bed up one morning when DH went to use the bathroom. He came back & said "I wasn't finished". LOL!

Hi Nita! My DH knows that messes make me crazy, but it doesn't change him at all! LOL!

Mary Ruth your visit & our shopping trips were so wonderful! PigPen? LOL!

Suedorcoo LOL at your Christmas tree waiting to be put away!

Candy thank you so much. That is the ultimate compliment as that's how I want my house to feel! Enjoyed hearing your memories!

posted Hide Post
Love your new settle. Turns out its functional as well as beautiful. Wink

Posts: 4076 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Oh I love your settle. That is gorgeous! I'm a bit ocd about putting things where they belong so yep that would drive me nuts. LOL...and so does my dh sometimes but I'll keep him bad habits and all.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5710 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Turns out its functional as well as beautiful.

LOL! Yep DH made it functional! Thank you OHL!

Thank you Lisa! I am too. But as you said "I'll keep him". LOL!

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Some of you will remember this "project". This is where DH sits. I thot about buying a screen & hiding him. The basket is for trash. Seems he missed. Can't blame the rubber chicken & green frog on him - they belong to the dog. LOL!

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Put a slider on the table for his puter & cleaned it up a bit. Much better!

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty *****e:
I thot about buying a screen & hiding him.

OK, Miss PL, you are responsible for helping me clean up my keyboard. I spewed coffee on my computer when I read your comment about screening your husband -- that is how hard I laughed. Memo to self: put down the coffee before reading PL's remarks. Smile

Picture of stripestars
posted Hide Post
That looks so gorgeous! It reminds me of some pubs in the UK. This would look incredible behind a small and tall table. Smile

A colorful room means a colorful soul

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Aychihuahua LOL!

Thank you so much Stripestars! I love the tavern/pub look!