Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Painted TV Armoire (Pic)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painted TV Armoire (Pic) Sign In/Join 
Picture of paintlady
posted
A few weeks ago, I participated in MMF and showed this oak tv armoire that I purchased from my friend's shop for $60. I painted it Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Arles. Arles is a nice golden yellow color. I have a flat screen tv in my sunroom in an armoire with doors. I want to replace that armoire with this newly repainted armoire. Here's the before picture of the armoire.

Posts: 9003 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Now the newly painted armoire in Arles with my fabric that is used in my sunroom. This is still sitting in my garage, and I'll tell you why in a minute!

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
A close up of the armoire with the hardware painted in Oil Rubbed Bronze. I used an artist brush and dry brushed some black paint into the crevices. I waxed the entire piece with Annie Sloan Clear Wax. I love the finish these products give a piece of furniture.

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
The last picture of the armoire and my sunroom fabrics. I just have to use this piece in my sunroom, and now as to why it's still sitting in my garage.(smh)

I made a mistake! I eyeballed the fact that my flat screen would fit in this piece. Well... the armoire is 3/4" too narrow for my flat screen tv. I'm pondering my options because one way or another, I'm going to put this beauty in my sunroom. The color is perfect plus this is a solid sturdy armoire. I love it. I'll keep you posted and share a picture once it's in place in my sunroom. I should have measured first. I worked my behind off on painting and waxing this piece so I'm determined to have it in my sunroom.

Thanks for looking. I mentioned that I would share pictures of it once I had it painted.

Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
Whatever you end up using it for, it turned out gorgeous! VERY nicely done indeed!

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7638 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It turned out great. Also love your fabrics.

Can you get a smaller TV? Then use that on someplace else.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6187 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Great transformation. I am confident you'll find a useful purpose. Next time, I'm sure you'll measure twice, paint once. Wink

Posts: 18447 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oohh! Your armoire is far too pretty for a TV.

Posts: 3250 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Beautiful transformation PaintLady. Sorry the TV doesn't fit.

Posts: 2136 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Great Redo!

How about a smaller TV? Would that work?

Love seeing your painting projects.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9346 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous job- how I envy your talent. We have tv(flat screen)in armoire that doesn't fit the front opening, but we were able to put in at an angle and then straighten around. Seems our front had a tiny lip at sides of opening. that took away 1"

Posts: 3057 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Pretty good eye IF you came in within 3/4"! When I was working where I was in the shop checking on custom pieces everyday, I had my eye honed to pick up the difference between a 9mm and 10mm spacing for bored holes! (got the men anxious when I would walk over to their station) so I know how we can learn to TRUST our eye. Let me also give you another compliment... one of the ways your eye can be fooled is with that face front molding in the front, so YOU were CORRECT with trusting your 'eye' as the back should fit the TV... right? seems wider in the back visually...

LOVE the way it came out AFTER you painted it! NO matter where you put this piece, it has the look of a better quality, so it will be a good piece to show!

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's wonderful! Now for the "that's the stupid question of the day". Is it too narrow because of the trim pieces in the front? I misjudged my TV by just a tad so I took off the back, slid it in and TADA! Yes, the trim on the armoire covers the trim on the TV but the screen is sized perfectly.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your kind comments on this project. I really do love working with Annie Sloan chalk paint and wax. It provides a wonderful finish to the furniture.

The 3/4" too narrow measurement is from the inside of the cabinet wall to cabinet wall. It's not the measurement of the front from trim to trim. I wish it were because then I would have no problem.

If the idea my son came up with does not work, then I will be going to the store with a tape measure in hand looking for a tv that will fit this cabinet. I have to use it for a tv because this is my small sunroom that's my tv viewing area in our home. It's kind of like my little haven.

Froo, I love that. I will most definitely measure twice and paint once in the future. Lesson learned! I will NOT be eyeballing things in the future. What's most frustrating is my husband when I told him what I was actually going to use the cabinet for, he immediately said without measuring that my tv was too wide. I asked him how he knew that, he said he could tell by just looking. So he must have a spot on eye! Needless to say, he told me that the very day I completed painting and waxing the cabinet. (rolling my eyes) I live and I learn. Smile

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Hi Paintlady, I'm considering purchasing a quart of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint but it's so expensive. Were you able to paint this armoire with just a quart or did it take more?

Posts: 2136 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
A quart of Annie Sloan will go a long way. I almost used the entire quart because I did 3 coats inside and out which isn't always necessary in every color. It also depends on look you want to achieve. On the final coat, to have smoothness, use 5% water mixed with your paint. It's amazing and truly a joy to use this paint. I also highly recommend her wax over her paint to give the furniture a hard shell finish. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help if I can. Have fun.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you PaintLady. I've wanted to try the AS paint since you posted your Armoire. It's been awhile since I've had the time to paint or refinish furniture but am looking forward to my project. Hopefully a quart of the Annie Sloan will be enough.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I think the armoire looks yummy and I love the name of the paint color. I have never used Annie Sloan paint. Is it sold in say, Benjamin Moore paint stores?

Having just suffered through furniture measurements and things in them or they in things, I know how frustrating and debilitating such considerations are.

I loved your description of the painting tricks and will refer to them again. This is the kind of sharing that makes this forum so helpful.

Posts: 12214 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
well you could off set the flat screen or do like dh did...he taped off the space on either side of our existing entertainment center and ground it out, till it slipped in....ours was a bit messy as it was pressed wood under the lam!

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post