Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Do we have Bay area participants here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do we have Bay area participants here? Sign In/Join 
Picture of KG in CA
posted
If you live and work in the Sunnyvale, Palo Alto area...how do you afford to buy a home in the general vicinity?

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7507 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
They must all work at google.

I bought the last great deal on a detached house in Daly City, visitation valley/cow palace in 2002. When it was time to move to the east bay, all I could afford in 2007 that had a yard was in Brentwood. I've been stuck out here, under water since then.

I still work in SF and my commute is 1.5 to 2 hrs but with the Bart strike next week I'll be working from home!

I keep kicking myself - I wish I would have 'settled' for an old condo or something, anything that I could afford in the San Ramon valley. Or waited just a little longer for the market to crash. Oh well.

By the way, talk about summers this side of h e double toothpicks... Brentwood.

Good luck
Wendy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wendek,

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It's a beautiful area, would love to live up that way. I live in So cal. I too am still stuck where I'm at when the market crashed. Don't think it will ever recover. Would pack it up and move if we could. SIGH

Wendek your commute is horrible. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4697 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
It's a beautiful area, would love to live up that way. I live in So cal. I too am still stuck where I'm at when the market crashed. Don't think it will ever recover. Would pack it up and move if we could. SIGH

Wendek your commute is horrible. Frown

It's one of the worst commutes in the bay area, I think. Frown Fender benders all the time.

The market is starting to come back like a lion but even tho my house value goes up, so does everything else I might have been able to afford a few months ago.

I don't know how anyone makes it living in the Bay Area on minimum wage. My brother +2 teens are still living with me, my daughter and my mom. Frown

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I am thinking that if they do not get into something before too long that they will NEVER be able to do anything but rent. They really need some kind of yard for various reasons.

Young couple, no debt. One works for Apple, and the other for a lab blocks away from Stanford. They gave up on Bart a year ago since it was late or not running WAY TOO OFTEN.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
and we left san diego in 1988 for Detroit! before our santee house shot up to nearly $450,00! the ironic thing? had trouble qualifying for a home here! but the snow isn't smog...you'd lol at what they call ski slopes, and yes, the great lakes do get waves, but NOT for surfing!

I do miss the ocean and mountains...

Posts: 8523 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Thought of this post when I saw this on AT.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.co...living-report-193256

Posts: 7982 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Thanks! That was interesting in that it need not be SF proper to run that much $. Sunnyvale rents may be a bit more reasonable, but the cost of homes is not.

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should just buy a condo/townhouse apartment and eventually sell, use the equity to buy better place later.
If they really Have to Have a yard, then move to the east bay and commute - which is why I live way the heck out here.
Smile