Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Lampshade advice (Pic)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lampshade advice (Pic) Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
I have these 2 lamps in my living room. I want to change shades. I'm just so bored of the styles of these shades. Also the sofa has a white slipcover on it now, which I'm loving.
Ok my problem is I am having a hard time finding lamp shades I like. I need a medium and a large shade.
What I want to know is can I use a solid shade and a print shade? Will that look good or not? I can't find 2 shades in a med and large that match.
I don't want to buy online. I want to buy in a store. Much easier to return.
Plus I'm looking for different artwork as well. Tired of that style and colors in the art. So we don't need to match the artwork.
HELP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

my pictures

Posts: 4594 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
My first thought would be to buy your artwork first and then go from there.

Posts: 9442 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
My first thought would be to buy your artwork first and then go from there.

Ok sounds good Always. And probably take a new pic with the white slipcover. Smile

Posts: 4594 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Try someplace like Target....they often have matching shades in different sizes! I like solid light colored shades myself would rather see color in throw pillows and art.

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7306 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
The other thing is you can change the harp sizes too so both shades are same size....I did that recently when I bought two floor lamps that said 3 way but the harp 'bout hit the top of my bulb...looked like a fire hazard to me. Went to a upscale hardware store that sells to order knobs and carries harps and shades....not a chain...but got new shades with taller harps and all is fine!

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7306 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I have checked Target numerous times. To get matching shades it's always small and large. Never have matching shades in medium and large. Don't know why, but I even checked Target online.

Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
I recently bought lamps and lamp shades at Lowes. They have the same shades in different sizes - medium and large. You might check there and Home Depot too. My lamps were similiar (crystal bottoms but different) but thought I should have the same shade for cotinuity.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Let's see a pic nof the new slipcover!! Big Grin

What style shade are you looking for? I have a floor and table lamp with similar shades so I'm looking forward to see what you choose.

Posts: 7975 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie, I don't have a picture on my computer of the new white slipcover. I've been having problems with my computer. The slot in my tower where I put the memory stick no longer works. So I can't put new pics on computer.
But I just got a new tower, and am waiting for DH to hook it up. I will then have to learn once again how to put the pic on my computer. Because I'm sure it will be different. Uggg, it's always something. lol I'm not to computer literate. lol

Annie I want to change my colors. So have to get rid of the artwork. My DH says you paid good money for those. lol
I want to do whites, pale blues and greens.

posted Hide Post
Assuming your picture frames are a standard size, why don't look for some inexpensive art in the colours you want and simply insert the prints into the existing frames? Or borrow this idea using the fabric of your choice.
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...333981967#3333981967

Posts: 490 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Your room is so lovely and so calming. I like the way your end tables are decorated and artwork too.I like the pop of color is in your pictures.

I agree with new lamps-shades. Spray paint those lamp bases when you find new shades and pictures.
Good Luck!!
I am having the same issues, hunting new shades. I just bought these 2 linen script shades and I'm ready to change. They don't just go with different décor I'm wanting to change out. UGH...

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
The part of your post that caught my eye, lilsophie, was "will it look good or not?"

The best thing you can do is take both your lamps with you to the store and test lampshades out. Don't be embarrassed by "setting yourself up" in the aisle of the store. (I do it all the time)

Try to look with your eyes, and not your brain. That sounds kind of weird, but what I mean is that sometimes we can think our selves into circles about this kind of decision. "Is it right? Is it wrong? Will it look good together?" Don't think. Just look. Concentrate on what your eyes are seeing.

When a lamp shade looks right, it is right. If you stand the two lamps together, and if they look weird or off, then those shades are wrong.

Trust what you see. Don't talk yourself into anything. Don't take second best.

Posts: 7098 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
GreenAlice, thanks for all your advice. It was helpful.

Aksunny, yes I will check out Lowes again. Haven't looked there in a while. But they do have a nice selection.

Susan, I love the idea of putting fabric in the frames, such a cute look.

Jackie thanks so much. I love a calming and soothing look.

Cocok, thanks for the advice. The salelady once told me to bring the the lamps to find new shades as well. I never have, I get embarrassed so easy. I feel so weird carrying in my lamps into the store. I may have to get over it and just do it. LOL

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Lilsophie,

Love your room and the lamp style too. Are the lamps the same size? If so, I would put the same size shades on both also.

Finding the right size, color and shape for shades is difficult. Do you have a local lighting store or lighting repair place? They may have something available too.

Some shade options here although you mentioned not purchasing on line. Look at the textures and different designs for ideas.

http://www.lampsplus.com/produ...e_country-@-cottage/

One more place to check for inspiration and shade information. Her book is helpful if you want to make one too.

http://www.lampshadelady.typepad.com/

More shades here too for inspiration.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/lighting/shades/

Good luck finding the perfect shade!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9359 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Beau'sRose. Thanks for the links. Such cute shades online, that's for sure. I do have a lamps plus near by. I will have to take a peek there once again. So wish they carried more shade selections in their stores though.
Maybe I will just get new lamps. lol
The lamps are different sizes. One is a floor lamp. So the floor lamp needs the larger shade.
Thanks for the links, they are very helpful

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Go to a lighting store. They will also sell lampshades. And might even be able to order something in for you if you see something, but its the wrong size. The one by me often has sales and the prices aren't that different than the big box stores.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5554 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
ever think about keeping the existing shades but spray painting them? you can get fabric paint at michaels....

Posts: 8489 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Out on a limb, I think I will go to Lamps Plus, only lamp store around here. But maybe I should change out the artwork first. Decisions decisions.

Sjf, don't think I want to spray paint them. Because I think I want to get a different style shade. But that is something to think about, thx

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I like your plan. Cylinder type plain shades would look more up to date and would change the look.
I think your finding the art first is an interesting way of changing the decor.

Posts: 9544 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lilsophie, when my computer was acting up, I used the slot on the printer.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6203 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
I like your plan. Cylinder type plain shades would look more up to date and would change the look.
I think your finding the art first is an interesting way of changing the decor.

Should I not go that route Mary Ruth? (picking art first?)

Strings, great idea. But I just got a new computer, waiting for DH to hook it up Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I almost bought these shades at pottery barn yesterday, but refrained. What do you think??

http://www.potterybarn.com/pro...s/?pkey=clamp-shades

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I like them! What color are you walls now? I was going to buy burlap but realized my walls are close to that color so they would get kind of lost.....

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
I almost bought these shades at pottery barn yesterday, but refrained. What do you think??

That was my first thought for the shades, but seems heavy for the base, and if you are not using burlap anyplace else, it would be something you would have to tie in.

Posts: 9544 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie, my walls are LA Gold #3. But I am going to repaint. Have to wait on DH because I can't move that large entertainment center. I have been waiting for a while. LOL

Mary Ruth, ok I will take your advice. I will paint first. Get new artwork and then decide on shades or new lamps all together. Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture with the white slipcover. I am having a horrible time learning all over again how to resize the pictures with this new Dell desktop computer. Uggg, any help would be appreciated. Frown

my pictures

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I love your slipcover!! Any ideas what color is going on the walls?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annie17:
I love your slipcover!! Any ideas what color is going on the walls?

Not too sure Annie. I'm thinking of going with color I had matched with something. It's a cream with a hint of brown in it. Any ideas would be helpful.

When u post pictures on this board do you use jpeg? I can't figure out why the area is so large that i posted in but the pic looks the right size.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Yes, I used jpeg. I noticed that there was alot of space around your pic but I don't know why.

The cream with a touch of brown sounds good. Mine is too dark.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
lilsophie,

are the lampshades on hold?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
lilsophie,

are the lampshades on hold?

Annie, I have been looking but haven't found anything that I love with those lamp bases. It's hard because I don't really want to order anything online, because I'm sure I won't like them, then have to return them. "sigh"
Can't find anything in the stores that are cute. And it's a problem getting a med and a large in the same design for some reason.
Nothing seems to be easy. lol

I have thought about just getting new lamps. But I still seem to like those bases.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I have the same set so I was hoping you would find a solution!!

This one from Target comes in S,M,L. It comes in ivory but the pic doesn't show the pleats so here it is in blue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annie17,

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try one of each.....

Picture of noraj
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one from Target comes in S,M,L. It comes in ivory but the pic doesn't show the pleats so here it is in blue.

The fabric wrap on that shade looks great. Did you find it on target.com?

Posts: 1649 | Registered: Oct 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nora, it is in the stores and online. I saw it yesterday and it i very nice but the measurements don't work for my lamps. Frown

Picture of noraj
posted Hide Post
I found this website for lamp shades some time ago.
I had been having a hard time finding the shade & choice of shade. The site has many kinds of shades [24] & each come in different sizes. They are not cheap. But very well made. I got a large one for Liv/rm & 2-for bed/rm.

http://www.brownslampshades.com/

when you get the linc, top lefr it says lampshades,click that & you will see many styles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: noraj,

Picture of noraj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Nora, it is in the stores and online. I saw it yesterday and it i very nice but the measurements don't work for my lamps. Frown

Thank you annie17,will refer it to my DD...

posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think that it is harder to change lamp shades than the whole lamp. When I've tried it just never looks right.
Have you thought of a contrasting colored base, maybe a bit beefier for scale? Do you use them for task lighting? or just decorative?
GL in your search!

Posts: 658 | Registered: Feb 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I think that it is harder to change lamp shades than the whole lamp.

I agree. I'm going to forget about replacing the shades. Yuck

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and pics of the shades. It is hard finding the same shade in two different sizes. I am just betting that I won't like any other shade with those lamp bases of mine. Keep thinking another style just won't look right.
Thinking about just getting new lamps all together, but I feel like I'm just wasting money...uuuggg
I just know that I don't care for the style of those shades anymore.
What to do, what to do.

Also I'm not having any lucky replacing my art work that I have in that room either. Frown