Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Living Room Ideas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living Room Ideas Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi all,
We are in the process of re-doing a house. On a very tight budget so wee'll be sticking for the most part with furniture we have. I would love any ideas you have for how to tie the whole room togehter and make it feel like more than just an assemblage of found furniture. The room is painted Benjamin Moore frappe
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/frappe. The adjoining dining room is painted Benjamin Moore good vibrations:
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...color/goodvibrations
We have a dark blue couch, two basic laminate bookshelves similar in color to this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Saud...42?findingMethod=rr, and an entertainment stand in the same color as the bookshelves. There is a large mirror over the fireplace that we can't remove without destroying the wall so I am thinking of framing it. The fireplace bricks are a reddish black color- the back of the (non-working) fireplace is a bad white paint job so that will need to be repainted. I have a very beat up but sturdy real wood set of two drawers that I would like to paint and make an end table. Any ideas on paint color for the end table, fireplace, and mirror, or other ideas on how I can tie the pieces of the room together without spending a fortune would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also to note- its the only living area in a house with 2 toddlers so it will be very "lived" in!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the message boards. You don't mention the flooring, how many people your room needs to seat or your general style preference, but it sounds like you have a good start to a comfortable room. Inexpensive storage ottomans are a good addition when you have young children as they can serve as seating, tables and toy storage for a relatively small investment. As for the mirror over the fireplace, you might consider adding a wall sticker of some sort to make it seem more like a piece of art than just a mirror. I love some of the ones that are the silhouettes of branches or just a geometric design.

You might be inspired by the Young House Love blog. They've done some amazing things on a budget.

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post