Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  UPDATE 12/17...MORE PICS ADDED....REMODEL HAS BEGUN 12/6.....Swimming Pool Remodel...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE 12/17...MORE PICS ADDED....REMODEL HAS BEGUN 12/6.....Swimming Pool Remodel... Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
Were looking into doing a small remodel on our 25 year old swimming pool. We have gotten some estimates. We have had so much FUN with our pool, and still use it till this day. And we LOVE our diving board, and so has everyone else. It's staying. So many fun times with family and friends. We want to do a big remodel, but it's just too costly.
Probably will end up just doing new plaster (hoping to get a colored plaster) and new tile. I so so wanted new coping. So tired of the bullnose brick. But it's probably staying.
We are going with the original pool builder, they are fantastic.
Has any one here done a pool remodel before? Im having a rough time deciding on tile. So many choices and I want it to look so cute. LOL

Here our 2 pics of our pool.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

pool

Posts: 4774 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
2nd Pic

my pictures

Posts: 4774 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with it? It looks beautiful as it is! So sunny and bright and pretty!!!

I digress, onto your question. The only thing we ever did was put a new liner in. In N.E. you can't have gunite or tile because it will crack, but I always liked the look of dark tile, like a lagoon. How is the decking holding up? Is it concrete?

We are "above ground pool people now." I miss my pool Frown

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Sophie, your pool is beautiful and looks very well maintained. I'm afraid I can't help you with your question. When we had a swimming pool in Florida years ago, which looked similar to yours, we had a river rock type surface around the pool. The only work we ever did to it was to have it remarcited.

Hopefully you will get some answers here.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Wanda, the plaster now is really bad, it's run it's course. We got a good 25 yrs out of it.
Here are some pics of the plaster, the top step is the worst. The rest of the pool isn't as bad, but it will be if we don't get this done.

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Bottom steps. You can see if you look closely, it chipping away on the edges of the steps.

my pictures

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Your backyard looks so nice Sophie. I would see what a pool contractor can come with for an update without breaking the bank.

Posts: 9692 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thank you Crayon, we love our pool, so have always taken good care of it. We love out large backyard too. We have over a 1/4 of an acre. I love riding my rider lawn mower around. I love yard work Smile We just took down at swing set that our grandkids used. Now we will be putting some trees back there. Can't wait for that.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks always, we love our backyard.
Contractor has been out and we have been in too look at tile. I just can't decide what look I want. We are getting a colored plaster this time. But do I do a turquoise color and a grey color? I'm just not sure. The grey plaster makes the water really pretty. But I was thinking that my backyard is tropical, so turquoise or aqua water would probably be best.

The lady at the pool company asked me when I was looking at tile what look I wanted. And I said I want my pool and the tile to look cute.. She gave me a weird look, and said cute. She just doesn't understand me. LOL

posted Hide Post
I think your pool looks lovely. I think they are a beautiful addition to a back yard.
Not only do I envy your ability to have a pool in your temperature zone but the dedication and ENERGY to take care of it. I'm afraid that it would just be too much work for me::::::smile::::::::::

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
You have a pretty back yard, but it will look really nice once you put some more trees back there. As far as color of plaster goes, either one sounds nice. However, with your tropical look, I like the turquoise.

"Cute" is good too. LOL. Sounds like something I might say.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Love, Lu:
I think your pool looks lovely. I think they are a beautiful addition to a back yard.
Not only do I envy your ability to have a pool in your temperature zone but the dedication and ENERGY to take care of it. I'm afraid that it would just be too much work for me::::::smile::::::::::

Love Lu, I don't think taking care of a swimming pool is hard at all. We have an automatic pool vacuum, it does all the work. Yes you have to help sweep it sometimes. But not that often, unless its windy. Doing the chemicals is easy I think. I would never want to live in a home without a pool. It's so much fun and so enjoyable to sit on your patio and just look at it Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Crayon, I think I'm liking the turguoise water color as well, with the tropical. I feel kind of bad though, DH likes the grey plaster and the color it gives. And hate to tell him I want the turguoise, when he always lets me have everything I want already. lol

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
Were looking into doing a small remodel on our 25 year old swimming pool. We have gotten some estimates. We have had so much FUN with our pool, and still use it till this day. And we LOVE our diving board, and so has everyone else. It's staying. So many fun times with family and friends. We want to do a big remodel, but it's just too costly.
Probably will end up just doing new plaster (hoping to get a colored plaster) and new tile. I so so wanted new coping. So tired of the bullnose brick. But it's probably staying.
We are going with the original pool builder, they are fantastic.
Has any one here done a pool remodel before? Im having a rough time deciding on tile. So many choices and I want it to look so cute. LOL

Here our 2 pics of our pool.

We also have looked at refurbishing our 20 yr old pool. The price is in the $20,000 range to re-gunite and re-tile. Basically they are rebuilding the inside of the pool. We have looked at tiles and as you say there are so many choices it is difficult to choose. We did resurface the cool deck this summer which was about 7500 and also had to replace the pool pump and cleaner. Pools are costly but so worth it! Good Luck and please show pictures when yours is done.

ETA....I can't find a good close up of the pool tile. Ours is a blue floral. Looks as though yours may also be blue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2279 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Georgia, what color water do you have, it's pretty. Is it a colored plaster? Your pool looks large to, what size is it.
I think your quote for your new plaster and tile is high. We were quoted around seven, eight thousand. Adding color plaster will up the price of course and tile too if we pick a higher price tile. Our tile color is like a royal blue and white. I'm steering away from a royal color this time. lol

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
DH and I thought the price was exorbitant! It was the first estimate and we just have not taken the time to talk with any other pool companies. We also need to do more research of just what all is involved with the process of refurbishing the pool. I was glad to see your post. Very few companies in our area install gunite pools or do repair work on existing pools. They are mainly installing the vinyl pools. Is it different in California?

ETA....the marcite is white. I'm not sure if we were even given a choice when we built the pool. Color would be nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2279 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I never hear of anyone installing vinyl pools here where I live. But they could be. It's always gunite. Since the market crashed, it really affected the pool company businesses. Most went out of business. The one we used 25 yrs ago is still in business. Then never used to do pool remodels, now they do since the crash. I hope you can find someone less expensive, that is such a high price for new plaster. I'm so afraid of picking the wrong tile, I'm just not sure what to get. lol

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
We have only a couple of pool builders in this area who will even talk with you about a gunite pool. Everyone seems to choose to build a vinyl pool and now fiberglass pools seem to be popular too.

Please keep me posted on what tile you choose. I'm very interested since we will need to do something with our pool in the next year or two. This past summer my little granddaughter rubbed blisters on her toes from the roughness in some areas of the pool. Can't have that happening!!

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Outdoor pools are not very practical in the climate where I live now but when we lived in a warmer climate we had one and loved it.

IMO the color and style of your house may have a bearing on the best color for the pool plaster and tile. Your pool is part of your landscaping so should be complimentary to it and your house. Grey would be more sophisticated and modern than turquoise. Also causes the pool to blend better into the landscaping so would be my choice. Color can be introduced through flowering plants in containers.

I'd advise looking at lots of pools and pictures of pools and tiles before making a decision. It's too large an expenditure to make a hasty decision.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Joyluck....Your post gave me good thoughts to think about. So what color water did you say would be best, I wasn't sure if you thought grey or aqua/turguoise. I'm thinking turquoise now!!

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grey would be more sophisticated and modern than turquoise. Also causes the pool to blend better into the landscaping so would be my choice.

Grey would be my choice altho IMO it does depend on the style and perhaps the color of your house. The only thing I have against turquoise is that so many pools are that color and I prefer different. Turquoise is pretty.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I just googled pool colors, and I didn't realize how many different shades of blue/turquoise there are.

I found this.

Wanda

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
LOVE those pool colors Wanda. Very cool pic. Like the 2nd and 3rd for sure.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Ours needs redone too, but if it comes with a $20,000 price tag to recoat the bottom and replace the bullnose - then it will receive a couple of holes knocked in the bottom and be filled with dirt.

Posts: 17256 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Ours needs redone too, but if it comes with a $20,000 price tag to recoat the bottom and replace the bullnose - then it will receive a couple of holes knocked in the bottom and be filled with dirt.

Keepyou, there is no way it should cost 20 thousand for new plaster and coping. That's insane. We would not be doing ours if that was the case.

Check out this board....

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/pools/

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Guy came out. The pool does not need anything major.

1. The 'plaster' is fine. It just looks ugly. However draining, cleaning with acid, and refilling will run $1400-1500.

2. The guy said he'd never see the bullnose edging - he called it 'cold tile' - flake like ours is. That will be the most expensive because it has to be chipped out and replaced. Labor is intensive and final cost would depend on what we pick to replace it.

Husband has not been in the pool in 4-5 years. I get in it 4-5 times a season. The grandkids might come once maybe twice a season. So my solution is:

1. Since the plaster staining is just cosmetic - leave it alone. (You can do it yourself, but husband is nearly 78 years old...he does not need to tackle that nor does he want to.)

2. Try to find something to penetrate and seal the edging to prevent further damage. (That we can do.)

Lastly, when it gets bad enough - knock a couple of holes in it and fill it in.

Husband pretty much concurs.

Posts: 17256 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Keepyouinstitches, I'm sorry I missed your last post. Ours plaster has chips and staining. We had ours acid washed, it really went down hill fast after that.
We are still getting ours done. I just keep changing my mind of what I want to do with it. Cost is a big factor. Frown

I am now thinking of adding pool mosaics, they look so cute. Something like this.
pic !

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
another thought

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
or this

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
or these

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
or this in my deep end to see when you dive of the diving board, lol
we love it!!

my pictures

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Can only envy those who live in a climate where having a pool is practical. Yours is beautiful lilsophie and I'm sure you will come up with the best solution!

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks LOS we are working on it. Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Swimming Pool Remodel is coming up. We can't wait.
It will begin the beginning of December.
We are getting new waterline tile.
New medium grey plaster.
Mosaics will be put in the pool. A shark in deep end, three turtles, 3 fish, a crab and a starfish.
Will also be getting our diving board painted.

I hope it all turns out great. Crossing our fingers here Smile

posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see it done. It's going to look great. Love the mosaics.

Posts: 9692 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! I'm in awe that your pool will actually be open in December LOL

Wanda

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Good for you LilSophie! I love the mosaics idea. I'd love to have ours renovated before next swimming pool season but cost is such a factor!

A question for you and other pool owners. Are saltwater systems popular in your area and if you have one are you pleased with it? We are considering switching over but haven't completely made up our minds.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lilsophie,

Nice that you are getting your pool done and made all those decisions. It's going to be a fun pool.

Love those little turtles for your pool along with the rest of the tiles.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, we are excited to get the new plaster. We hope we made the right choice with the med grey plaster. I'm a little concerned how well the mosaics will show up with this color. Will be disappointed if I can't see my mosaics very well with the money I spent for those things, LOL

Georgia, Saltwater systems are very popular here as well. We would have loved to switch over, but trying to save money on this project.

posted Hide Post
lilsophie, I'm guessing that when this is finished all of us here on the message board will be invited for a swim party. I'll bring margaritas.

Wanda

Posts: 1795 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gmvj:
lilsophie, I'm guessing that when this is finished all of us here on the message board will be invited for a swim party. I'll bring margaritas.

Wanda

YEP gmvj you ALL are invited. We LOVE pool parties and bbq's. Oh, and I just LOVE margaritas...yum Let's get the party started Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Swimming pool remodel has begun today. Pictures will be coming soon. So excited Smile

posted Hide Post
YIPPEE!!! How exciting....

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
see you're in so ca...wonder if you had the pool painted a dark color to "heat"? would it cut back on heating costs?

I like that half kidney shape... easier to do your laps...

btw how deep is your pool on the diving board side? always am afraid of getting hurt...

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
see you're in so ca...wonder if you had the pool painted a dark color to "heat"? would it cut back on heating costs?

I like that half kidney shape... easier to do your laps...

btw how deep is your pool on the diving board side? always am afraid of getting hurt...

We don't need a heater sjf. It gets plenty warm in the summer. About 80 degrees. It's nice a refreshing.
Our pool is 9 ft. It's plenty deep for all the diving and cannon balls, lol, we have lots of fun in this pool.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Sophie,

Shouldn't we be looking at a pic of you in your bathing suit with the pool behind you??

Posts: 8030 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annie17:
Sophie,

Shouldn't we be looking at a pic of you in your bathing suit with the pool behind you??

Annie, maybe after pool is done, and I'm laying in my raft, with rita in hand, lol

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
before we got crazy and moved to Detroit 26 years ago, lived in santée a burb of san diego...

bet you pool wasn't so warm this week?

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Remodel still in progress. Wanted to show you more pictures of this remodel.
I have about 7 pics to share.
This pics are of some mosaics added to inside of pool.

My Starfish on my top step, I think it's so cute. lol
Again there is no water in pool, remodel still in progress.

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
#2 My 3 lil fish on a second long step.
In this pic you can also see the new tile that I had put in. I'm really liking it, it matches with the bullnose too. Smile

my pictures