Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  open concept space planning (new pic added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

open concept space planning (new pic added) Sign In/Join 
posted
disclaimer: the photos you are about to see represent a transitional period. We are still unpacking boxes and finding places for everything.

This house has a wonderful open concept main floor. I'm working on designating different zones, and decorating to try and work with this.

I've already established that the kitchen is defined by the island.

The dining area is defined, in part, by the location of the light fixture, and how things line up there.

The living area is lacking definition at this time.

Here is the view from the kitchen area into the rest of the space:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tomatoqueen,

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a view of the dining area. I have ordered a rug to anchor the space. The rug there now is temporary- purchased to protect the floor from the antique dining table's castors.

I've centered the buffet on one wall on the center of the table and light fixture, and centered the china cabinet on the other wall the same way.

Right now it feels as if the table is crowding the bar stools a bit- so I may need to move the light a bit? Not sure about that.

The rug I've ordered may be a mistake. It is 8x8' square- which in retrospect, may be too big. This may mean using it in the living area and ordering a smaller rug for the dining area.

posted Hide Post
Here's the living area- the least defined.

I want to order pieces from Ikea for the entertainment wall. I need closed storage as well as display, and Ikea has some affordable options.

I will use an area rug to help define the space, but the question is this: How far along the wall should I go with the entertainment unit/shelving? I'm thinking about 11-12 feet.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Can you take a picture standing in front of the LR window facing the dining room table?

From the pictures it looks like the table is boxed in by the buffet and the hutch behind the table. Can you move the table closer to the buffet to give you a little more room between the table and barstool chairs?

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can move the table- but of course, that would mean moving the light as well. (not that difficult, but just another thing to consider)

I'll try to get another angle later.

posted Hide Post
Oh- and speaking of the light.... the previous owners left a length of chain, but I'm not sure if there is enough electrical cord to extend it further even if there is more chain. Right now I find that the light is too high, and there is so little slack as it is, that extending it toward the buffet, even a few inches, may not be possible even without lowering the light.

posted Hide Post
What is to the left of the dining room table space-wise? Is there plenty more room? It would make sense to change the light fixture to accommodate better space relations, I think.
I agree that an 8x8 rug might be a wee bit large for your particular space.
You are going to have such fun figuring everything out.
I am my happiest when I have a problem to solve design-wise. It gets my juices going.
I hope to see the finished project.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
TQ, I'm not sure a rug will really protect your floors from those antique metal casters. They exert a lot of pressure on floors. Do you know about caster cups? They are what traditionally was used to protect floors. I use them under my antique Singer sewing machine's metal casters and also under one of my antique sideboards. I was fortunate to find a box of them very inexpensively at a yard sale but they are not very expensive anyhow. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAG...&hash=item3a84150a2f

Also, you might use masking tape to delineate the 8'x8' rug you are considering as it actually might be too small. There should be enough space to pull chairs out from the table and still be on the rug. This is usually about 3' on each side of the table so unless your table is 24" wide (which I can see it's not) the 8' rug is not large enough. The problem with a smaller rug is that the edges will be subject to wear if chairs are constantly pulled back and forward over the edge of the rug. Also it looks much better when all the chairs are always on the rug.

BTDT with moving and it's good to remember that "this too shall pass". Sending good thoughts for enough energy to complete the move.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomatoqueen:
I can move the table- but of course, that would mean moving the light as well. (not that difficult, but just another thing to consider)

I'll try to get another angle later.

ahhh yes...the light over the table. I feel you on that one..I have the same issue.

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky- I do have some caster cups. But I felt they wouldn't quite be enough to protect the floor. A rug was always in the plan. I just wanted that extra protection until I got the right rug. (still not sure if the one I ordered is "it"- but meanwhile, this is almost working.

Still working on pictures from other angles. I'm trying to get a few more boxes out of the way first. ::sigh::

Downsizing is not easy. Especially downsizing in combination with losing really good storage space. Now I have a big, open space with lots of clutter!

posted Hide Post
So here's the new rug.

posted Hide Post
The long wall in this room is presently painted a light brown. It's neutral, and I thought I'd just live with it for awhile and add color with pieces like the rug.

But now I'm thinking maybe I want to paint the room a complimentary (but not matching) shade of blue.

Of course, I don't really have time for painting just yet- so I have time to mull it over.

(btw- the green tape is just holding down the edge that was curling up from being rolled.)

posted Hide Post
I like your new rug very much.

My advice is, get yourself unpacked, place the furniture pieces that are staying where you think you want them and proceed from there. When there are boxes and chaos all around you, it is difficult to see the forest for the trees so to speak. What you need to create is as much of a blank canvas as you can and then it will be easier to determine where to move things and add things. Having moved from a small home to a smaller one, and then to a larger one, I understand what you are going through. Take your time and don't try to furnish everything at once. You will be less apt to make mistakes that way.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I LOVE that rug TQ! and I agree with Susan. You need to get more organized first, and place your furniture before deciding on anything else.

Good start though! Nice place Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SusanBradfordKent:
I like your new rug very much.

When there are boxes and chaos all around you, it is difficult to see the forest for the trees so to speak. What you need to create is as much of a blank canvas as you can and then it will be easier to determine where to move things and add things.

Spot on. We just went through that drill ourselves a few months ago when we moved into our new, slightly smaller resale home. It is much more open than our previous home, which presents a creative challenge, to say the least.

I know it's a lot of work to move pieces around to clear out a space, but in the long run, it pays off. I should buy stock in those "Moving Men" furniture pads, we've used so many.

Good luck!

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty rug. I would take the rug since it's curling UP, and tuck it under and set the feet of the chairs on the edge for a day or so..

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Love your rug, it looks great. Is it Square? If so where did you get it. I have been looking for one for my dining room, and they are so hard to find.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lilsophie- I got the rug at Overstock.com.

I also looked at square rugs at Wayfair.

The search options for both are pretty good, but a little easier with Overstock. Still, I found both sites a good place to look for square.

Now if I could just figure out a coordinating, but not quite matching rug for the living area...