Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Want to pad my wooden kitchen stool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to pad my wooden kitchen stool Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
Have never done any kind of upholstery work before, but I'd sure like to be able to pad my kitchen stool. I've googled the subject and found some videos so I think I should be able to do this successfully. Wondering if any of you have done something like this and might have some tips/suggestions for me.

Posts: 6073 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
What kind of stool do you have? round, rectangle seat? I'm assuming its wood and no padding at this point?

Posts: 9717 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lori,

Do you have a pic to share? Is it already upholstered? If so you can use that for a pattern. I was able to remove the seat from the stool part and draw a pattern around it and adding seam allowances.

What kind of seat does it have now? You can also add a simple pleat edge around it to add interest. Piping, buttons, ties or snaps are easy use also.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9500 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I recently bought it at Wal-Mart and DH assembled it. It's a pretty common stool. The seat is unpadded and is a 9 x 16.5-inch rectangle.

I've purchased a 2" high density foam as suggested in the online videos but I think I got the wrong batting (Mountain Mist Cream Rose 100% cotton needled batting). I think one of the videos said to use a 3/4-inch high-loft batting (but I might have something in my stash that I can use). I also purchased a piece of navy blue vinyl upholstery material. I don't need to worry about any seams or edging. I think I can just cover the seat (it's 1" thick) like you would cover a dining room chair.

It's been a long time since I've posted a photo. If I have time and can figure it out, I'll try to post a picture. Might not be able to get to it until early next week though.

Posts: 6073 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Won't worry about the batting. Any will work. Different places suggest different things. It is mainly there to soften the edge of the foam.

A good project. Set the stool upside down on the stuff, pull to back and staple. Corners are the hardest but there are a couple ways to do them. Just be sure they are consistent.

Posts: 7243 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
just make sure the foam is dense enough! my purchased one is at least 2-3" thick and still could use more, lol...but I use mine for doing the dishes, and some actual food prep...(bad back)

Posts: 8564 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Should I remove the seat from the legs or work around them? I'm worried that I won't be able to locate the screw holes on the bottom of the seat if I remove the legs.

Maybe the holes will be far enough away from where the batting and material are stapled and it won't be a problem. However, I won't know this unless I unscrew the legs from the seat.

Glad to learn that I can use the batting I purchased!

SJF, I've had a bad back for many, many years (L4-L5 herniated disk) and now my legs are getting very achey and hard to stand on for any length of time (spelling? . . .it rhymes with breaky).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Ca Lori, you could also try to find a ready made cushion to fit and add ties to the corners to hold it onto your stool.

In doing this kind of upholstery work, I first secure the middle of each of the four sides with one staple each. I then work on the corners, starting with the longest piece of corner fabric. Pull that up and staple it. Work from either side out, overlapping the staples if necessary. I think you should remove the seat first for a neater job. You can fill for the holes after covering them and just poke a pencil or screw driver through to open them up.

Good luck!

Posts: 13005 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Hey Lori Wave Your project doesn't sound too difficult. Almost the same as covering dining room chairs? Try to keep the fabric away from the holes and you shouldn't have a problem.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Remove the seat. You can feel the holes through the vinyl usually. Use an awl to poke a hole through the fabric and then re-screw the seat back onto the stool.

Measure out the lines of the screw holes so you have an idea of their location.

You can also leave the long screws out a bit (sitting proud) so you can feel them and know where they are in the seat.

Good luck with the re-do!

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Here's the photo I promised. It took me over an hour to figure out how to transfer photo from my old digital camera to my new WIN8.1 PC. Sorry for the large size. I guess I should have resized it to 30%, not 40% (or maybe even smaller??).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

posted Hide Post
Your px is just the right size, not too big or too small.

I would not remove the seat. It looks like you have enough room to staple without doing so. But then I don't believe in doing extra work if it is not necessary just because the experts say to do it a certain way.

Posts: 7243 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
metwo, there's 2 inches of space from the edge of the leg to the side edges of the seat, but there's only 7/8" of space from the edge of the leg to the front/back edges of the seat. Methinks I'm going to have to take off the seat!

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
It didn't turn out very well, but it's usable. I'll just hide it when we have company! Smile

Couldn't do the rounded corners at all. Maybe it would have been possible had I used a fabric rather than vinyl. So I did a tailored corner (at least I think that's one one upholster called it in his video).

I used the stool this a.m. when making "dad" his favorite pancake breakfast. With the addition of the 2-inch foam, it's much more comfortable to sit on now.

Don't think I'll be doing any more upholstery work! Frown

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lori,

It looks good from here. Don't give up. These type of projects get easier with practice. Plus fabric seems like it would give more than vinyl. Enjoy your new seat!