Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  dated decorating books......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dated decorating books...... Sign In/Join 
Picture of annie17
posted
I'm trying to declutter and simplify. I just grabbed a pile of decorating books and "oh my" Eek Even some from 2004 look dated. Other than for a "walk down memory lane" is there any reason to keep them?

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain Annie, while decluttering for the move, I donated quite a few to the goodwill.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Depends if they are books or magazines.

I have been slowly bringing my dated design books to the Library. I noticed they didn't have many design books, so I brought in a few, and they loved taking them. There was about one section with 6 shelves when I first went into that library. NOW they have changed it to one whole Wall of the books! And I brought at least 30 of them in! Smile I feel good knowing that I am contributing to the advancement in design interest in our area!

Lots better than gathering dust in my house. I have about two more boxes full I have to go through before bringing them to the library. I have picked a few off the shelf and reviewed them (that is IF I thought I was missing them....) NOPE, better there than here with me making shelves to hold them and then dusting them for many years! Smile

If the Library won't take what you have, donating to a charity HELPS your neighborhood too!

I am shying away from donating to Goodwill. I pick local charities, Salvation Army is good with giving back to the community and they are usually the FIRST responders when there is a a need in a community.

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Annie and Mary Ruth,

I actually looked through several and am wondering why I ever bought them. Decor really changes!

I will pack them up along with some of my (less pretty) Reader's Digest and drop them at the thrift store today.

Boy, did I sort and throw yesterday! Big Grin

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Don't be so quick to get rid of them, I'm sure at least some of the decor in there will be back Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
The design books I keep are the ones about specific style periods or specific designers. I like those for reference. The rest get donated.

Posts: 7078 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Some books seem to be timeless and classic -- and those are the ones I try to buy. But yes, I have a few "dated" ones and I need to get rid of those . . . but decorating books are like cookbooks -- tastes change! But I also have some of the older books from the 20s (because that's the era from my house) and they really are timeless . . . and have some from the 40s and the colors (oh, my!)

Martha

Posts: 5411 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't be so quick to get rid of them

I hope not Wanda! Wink

Coco and Linderhof, none of my books are timeless. I can understand keeping them if they were. Guess I'm into the lastest trend!Smile

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
lol..guilty here...the fabrics are aweful but some of the ideas are standard..but donate..look at the mid century modern revival....

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post