Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Question regarding instillation of a free standing tub.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding instillation of a free standing tub. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
Has anyone had an acrylic free standing tub installed in a second story bathroom? Our plumber says they are a bear to install and the ceiling below has to be cut to some degree to hook up the pipes. It must be noted that we will not be installing this ourselves nor will our plumber. Btw, the contractor will be removing a jacuzzi tub in the same area. DH plans on asking the contractor, but I am curious to learn from others experience regarding instillation. I also know that the faucet and drain will come up out of the floor vs the wall. Thanks.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
like a claw foot tub? or like us, a new tub to replace an aweful cast iron?? lol...

actually we have bathrooms on top of each other and did remove the ceiling of the downstairs bath to adjust pipes and did the work ourselves...we really didn't have to do the entire ceiling but hated the drop tiles and wanted a smooth finish...2 things...we installed the drywall AND insulation (for sound) but had our contractor do the taping and mudding...he wasn't going to charge enough, but it was like glass, so i paid him $250...(he's a friend of a friend and did an excellent job on our roof)

believe me, while messy and and i lived without a ceiling, lol, in what i call my bath, it wasn't that difficult to locate the pipes and make sure the new tub had the correct drop, so it drains correctly...a huge point with the old cast iron tub...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjf,

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
No...like a flush mount tub with skirted bottom though a claw foot tub instillation I suspect is similar since the water and drain pipe configuration is similar.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
we passed, lol..see amended answer, lol...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Froo,

Check these for Plumbing and Bathroom questions and searches. I put in the search box and these came up. You might want to post a question there also. Good luck on your research.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/searc...&forum_name=Plumbing

Bathrooms
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/bath/

HTH!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're using one in a spec house we've been working on. You shouldn't have too much difficulty because you already had supplies and a drain in the area for your jacuzzi but you will have to open the ceiling below to make the plumbing hookups. Is there something specific you're concerned about?

Posts: 733 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Specifically, the opening of the ceiling below as the area is our living room and perhaps the soffit area which is faux finished to match the walls and can't be duplicated unless the entire room is repainted. This is an added expense that no one but our plumber mentioned. Thank you for confirming the process. Decisions, decisions.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Just a thought...you can usually work from either side of a wall. Could they open up the floor of the bathroom instead of the ceiling of the room below?

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
That was my initial thought too, but the fact our plumber talked about access via the ceiling below has me inclined to think that's the only way. There is a sofit in the room below which is where the pipes are I suspect vs an exterior wall.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Ask for a clarification from the plumber about the access. If you are willing to take up the floor above you should be able to leave the ceiling below undesturbed. There is always another way to do something. Absolutely always.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
We have since posed this question to the contractor who feels access via the subfloor vs the ceiling below is doable.