Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  I made a boo boo....PIC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I made a boo boo....PIC Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
I am so mad at myself!!! I used a screw with a weird head and now I have half way done and can't it the rest of the way in....

My flat head screwdriver keeps slipping off. I need either a larger wider flathead or I'm going to have to try to ply that screw out and use a screw with a Phillips head like I should have in the first place!!!

I don't know what kind of screw this is, it has like an allen-wrench opening and then a opening for a flat screwdriver...

I hate when I don't have the right tools to do something...and a power drill that is missing all most all the attachments

UGHHH...STUCK...NOT HAPPY!!!

Posts: 9636 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Can you get it out? Try turning it with a pair of pliers. PITA I know, but it's worth a try. You'll have to find a screw that's the same size or slightly larger.

I hate when that stuff happens.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you go to the hardware store ask for a square drive screwdriver. For now, I would suggest you take it out with pliers and put another in with a phillips head. I know the feeling you have...Bummer! You could take the other screw (assuming there are two) with you to the hardware store and the clerk will tell you want you need.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1546 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EVERY house (NO EXCEPTIONS!) needs a Vice Grip in the tool drawer. Will lock around the head and you unscrew that pesky screw. Meanwhile, grab a cheap set of drill bits. I thought you were going to use bolts on your vanity (or are we on the wall?) Either way, you need to drill a small starter hole.

Posts: 1985 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Been there. Next time you are in the hardware store, pick up a hex head. What saved me the last time I did this was the w o r x drill we bought at Christmas. Really handy tool with multiple bits.

ETA add w o r x to the trigger word list. Must be slang for something..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3367 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked DH and he said to try a bigger Phillips head screwdriver. That screw is made to take either a Phillips or slotted screwdriver. You just need a bigger one than you've been using.

Cyndi

Posts: 4085 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldhouseluvr:
I asked DH and he said to try a bigger Phillips head screwdriver. That screw is made to take either a Phillips or slotted screwdriver. You just need a bigger one than you've been using.

Thanks houseluvr-I finally did get that darn screw in and have my TP holder up.

Posts: 9636 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yay! I hate it when stuff like that happens. Glad you were able to get it screwed in.

Cyndi

Posts: 4085 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
yay on getting it fixed!

and yes - every house needs some vice grips!!! A couple different sizes, too!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5590 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post