Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Anyone have experience with Sub-zero freezer drawers??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with Sub-zero freezer drawers?? Sign In/Join 
posted
We are currently buying a vacation home that has a sub-zero fridge and in the island two freezer drawers. Unfortunately they are not fitted for an ice maker...so no ice maker and it seems a pain to put ice trays into the drawers?? Guess we have to take up space with bags of ice. How have others handle this situation??? TIA

Posts: 263 | Location: CO/SD/CO/IA/IL | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I understand what you are saying.
I have a large built-in Sub Zero refrigerator but in another corner of the kitchen I also have a built-in Sub Zero freezer, but it comes with an ice maker.
Is there no way you can make room to add the ice maker -- is that what you are saying?
Or can you make one of the two drawers into an ice maker?
Sounds strange to me. Why would Sub Zero ever make a freezer without such an important part as an ice maker?
Doesn't make sense.
PS. At the very least, I'd opt for ice trays rather than bags of ice that would take up much more space.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After researching there are two models (600BFI) one with ice maker one without (600BF), this one is "without" and it can't be added. I was just hoping someone would have a suggestion as to how they make it work. Seems odd they would choose to not install the one with ice maker??

Posts: 263 | Location: CO/SD/CO/IA/IL | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would go to the expense of swapping out one of the drawers for one with an ice-maker. You can also get small countertop icemakers that are very efficient- I had never seen one until I recently visited a friend who had one for use on her pier.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with pkpk. I would also swap one of the drawers for the ice maker rather than get a different make.
Sub Zero is top-of-the-line efficient.
I wouldn't mess around.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post