Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Treasure hunting for FINDs in consignment shops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treasure hunting for FINDs in consignment shops Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
With my mind on 'Monday Morning finds' I thought about how we 'save' items from landfills! AND we get bargains too!
PLEASE FEEL free to ADD any ideas or comments you have on the topic and for treasure hunting in Thrift, and re-stores.

Came across this blog on Pinterest with some advice for Consignment shop hunting for treasure!

http://lisamendedesign.blogspo...ent-shopping-at.html following words are from that blog!

Did you know that 8.7 million tons of furniture and home furnishings are dumped into landfills each year? So go green and buy consignment!!! Not only is it good for our planet to be green but you get name brand, good quality furniture at very reduced rates. Some things are in mint condition and don't need any love at all. Other times a little refinishing, paint job, new fabric is all a piece needs to go from drab to dynamic!

Here are some tips for consignment shopping:

1) Shop often, new things come in every day!

2) Don't think too long about an item or it will be gone!
You know the saying "you snooze you lose"

3) On the hunt for a certain piece? Let the shop know what you are
looking for, Ede has a wish book!

4) Good times to visit stores are before and after holidays and change
of seasons, when people are hankering for a new look or spring/fall cleaning.

5) Look over items for damage. Ask the shop owner if there are any issues
with the piece, they typically know.

6) Know your stores policy for buying.

7) Keep an open mind, think paint, repurpose, reupholster

8) Take a couple of laps around the store. Often times you see new things
peeking out from behind or beside, the item that caught your eye the first time.

9) Take time to chat with the shop owner and ask their input about items they find
interesting or great buys. They can typically tell you where something came from as well

10) When in doubt, measure! Make sure what you are considering will fit the
space you are looking to fill. If you don't have a tape measure, typically the
store will have one for you to borrow.

Posts: 9754 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, I fully agree. One of the most quality pieces of furniture we possess was found a few years back in a furniture consignment store. It is a Henronden Cherry tv armoire. We were told by the proprietor that it was part of a bedroom set in a large house. It was 25 percent off and was 1/10 the retail value. We paid extra to have it delivered be,cause of it's weight and size.

I fully agree that you should take careful measurements before you go on the hunt and that includes doorways. I also agree that you should not lose faith as merchandise changes frequently. Some people prefer Craig's list or ebay, but I love browsing consignment and thrift stores. If we had a local flea market, I would visit it from time to time too. There are gently used treasures to be had. If you are in the market for name clothing, you can also find pieces with the price tags on for pennies on the dollar. Things like lamps, mirrors, stained glass window, dishes, rugs, etc. can also be found in these bargain sources.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I love actually seeing an item, and that is how I shopped more in Virginia. I would visit a few favorites on Fridays with my friend. We would meet on Fridays, have lunch, and our dessert was thrift, consignment, and second hand flee markets. I LOVED that. I also did yard sales too.
After my fall, Craigslist became more my favorite because of my physical limitations and DH putting a halt on my going out alone to people's houses. He now wants me to schedule for when he is home and comes with me.
My recent find with the lamps, he smiled when I showed him the CL photo and listing and said 'I'll come with you'. Smile gotta love that!

Posts: 9754 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
We used to have to take our own trash/recycling and people would put 'gently used' items to the side...I have brought home many a treasure: file cabinet w/key, brand new Victoria's Secret robe, too much to remember really.

Also, I LEFT a sewing machine in a walnut cabinet when we were moving across the ocean!!!! Hubby says he'll get me another ...

And yes, I frequent Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul, etc......

Posts: 2877 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a rumor going around that some people actually go to "real" stores and BUY new furniture. While I shake my head and wonder why anyone (especially with 3 kids, etc.) would drop 3K on an "anything" I thank them because I'll probably wind up with it for 1/10 or less of the purchase price in a few years. It's all I can do to not post "PUT THE MONEY IN A COLLEGE FUND FOR YOUR KIDS-YOU MORONS", but to each his own.
Meanwhile, anywhere I can find a "FIND" is just right for me.

Posts: 1967 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah...to all of the above Wink

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I love how the blogger redo's have helped make thrift store finds popular. Lots of ugly old dressers have been turned into media centers.

Posts: 8007 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
and don't forget places like habitat..we just got a new store recently...

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I don't remember consignment shops from when I was young. Only Salvation army and Goodwill, both of which I shopped at exclusively when first housekeeping and married.

Brass bed from Good will $9.00, everything they sold seemed to have been $9!

We have a consignment shop very nearby. The only other one is way across the city. The nearby one has lately had a succession of owners and it makes such a difference in the appearance of the space (very ample, many windows for display and IMHO never properly utilized)

Yesterday coming home we passed an armoire in front of a house. Would DH stop? No! And since I have no place for it (well I do really) but it was hot and I would need him to move it, I had to let it go.

Of course mainly I "shop" at our transfer station! Which by the way is a disgusting mess most of the time and actually dangerous. I can't believe how people toss things. Yesterday I even saw a diaper there! However I also got about 5 or 6 very nice and usable things.

My friend who owns the frame shop and an apt bldg behind it, saw a discarded table from one of the apts. She would have liked it but it needed lots of work (drop leaf) her DD boyfriend took it to replace their too large table.

I actually don't know too many people who would
not deign to pick something up off the street! Guess we all like a bargain!

Thanks Mary Ruth for the advice. And please DO not go alone to any house! We need you here!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12770 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
CJO,
When I was a teen, we used to go to the dump (was called that by everyone, though the sign said reclycling center). The trucks dumped larger stuff there (was collected separately than garbage or regular trash from trash cans). We would wander into the dump and gather bike frames and wheels and sometimes a good bike chain, no one in the neighborhood had a bad bike, I painted the frames and polished a few up for some of the kids who didn't have bikes.

I then got the idea from my dad (who when he was living with us, he would sit on the sofa, the coins in his pocket would fall out into the crevice of the sofa in the back. There was a gap in that sofa creace, and my baby sister showed me a handful of coins one day (she was between 1 &2 years old) I asked her where she got the coins, she showed me a pile under the sofa in the back. The sofa was pulled forward to fit in front of bay windows with a table full of house plants on it. We had found TREASURE!

So, with that idea, at the dump I went around checking all the sofa creases! I never went home with less than $5 after checking each sofa & upholstered chair that came in, I checked every couple of days! Back then, trash was not really dirty or moldy or smelly, it was just a bit worn with all parts intact. My mother had our apartment full of new furniture so we didn't need anything, I never even thought of bringing any of it home... the bikes were all that got my attention back then I was less than 12-14. We even found dollar bills sometimes in boxes or baskets, or purses! When our allowance was 50 cents a week, we were getting RICH at the dump! So, a place to deposit items to recycle has always been seen by me as a great place to find treasure!

jaysmom,
It is not that young people who buy new are morons... worse! A lot of young people are into status and also they have a misconception that good times and money will increase as they age! I mean even I thought that way, that in my 30's I felt that I would be earning more and having more than in my 20's and so on...! Of course things did increase for me, but with some drawbacks with divorces, and losing ALL (yes everything) I owed 4 times in my life. they have no idea that will or might happen to them. Saving for a rainy day, or deducation is not in their thoughts, after all they could get a student loan... borrow... borrow... borrow (credit cards).

annie17,
Yes, the bloggers and Pinterest, and Hometalk are all a buzzing with DIY's. Makes us think outside the box about recycling!

sjf,
Habitat, in our area here where I live, has a a store for them called the Re-Store. They have good stuff put in a separate room called 'SOLD'... so apparantly they sell over the phone to a group of people who are connected with local remodelers and other charities. So, when we walk in to check there is nothing but JUNK on the floor, I mean I would be embarassed to sell that junk! Broken, moldy, missing important pieces, smelly upholstery, so sad... we do not bother to go there any longer. Obviously they hold all the good stuff to be picked up. I told the gal who worked there, they should at least put a door on that room so we don't SEE what is not even being offered to the public! Geech!

los,
There was a few consignment shops in our area growing up, but they were for upscale clothing, so I didn't go in those.
We told my mother to go check out the Goodwill, and she came back with a shopping bag of women's shirt dresses for 25 cents! She took them apart and there was 3 yrds just in the skirt. She made quilt tops and used fabric to make us short sets (shorts and blouse matched with white shirts having coordinating fabric to the shorts) in the summertime. Since she could sew, she knew about fabrics. That is how I got fabrics to make Barbie clothes, and that is how I learned to sew.

When we went to get the CL lamps, DH said, I saw a large rocking chair in front of a house I want you to see, so he drove by there, I thought 'he saw it in the trash???' He would never stop for that! LOL... then we saw the chair, it used to be the prop for a furniture store and the back of the chair was at least 15' high! The large scale chair took up one side of the front yard of the house, cute, well cared for and great garden around it! Now that is recycling in a LARGE way! LOL

The only reason I would and do go alone to a CL find IS IF the items are small and I can carry them. I always talk to the person, especially a man... and say 'please put it out in the driveway so I may see them when driving up'. And if they are NOT there, I will not beep for you to come out. I get a chuckle and they always act very timid around me backing off. I have only gone to a few houses with a man there, but always OUTSIDE away from the garage or house. IF the item is stored inside, DH goes with me. But, you are right, DH senses my frailty and now I will do what he says and ONLY go with him to get something IF I find anything on CL! Also I want him home when I sell, so I work around his days off and always tell the CL buyer on the phone first, DH will be here to assist you along with all the other cautions we take, such as saying on our ad 'we do NOT make change, please bring exact change'. And, to call before coming over, then DH puts item in the driveway.
los comment "we need you here"! Oh how sweet!

Love that bedroom photo you posted! So cozy and the bedding is nice!

posted Hide Post
I love consignment and vintage/antique shopping. That said,if you reaaly looked at my home with a critical eye, you may notice how some juxtapositions/proportions could be improved. Many of the pieces I have were beautiful, or fun, or just a good old unpassable bargain. Some things I saved and brought back to life.Perhaps they are not the "perfect" size or scale or color, but I chose them anyway.

Regarding those who can only shop traditional retail, I completely understand not buying ad hoc in order to achieve something very specific.My clients want a balanced, polished look that would often preclude the addition of something funky. Luckily for me I treat my own home diffently and enjoy shaking things up.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Charles D,
Great way to put it! Funny now SCALE changes with each style and decade!

Once I walked into a house (McMansion) that had huge rooms, and the new rooms made the client's (brought with her) Victorian collection for a room. The furniture looked like doll house furnishings! I swear the sofa had to be the size of a bus to look like it went in the main room with soaring ceilings and huge window details.

Shaking things up really is FUN!

posted Hide Post
I get what Charles D is saying...while I have had a blast the last few years with my thrifting, and have gotten many unique items I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, I am kind of ready for a more cohesive look. IF I ever get that new/old house built, I have a somewhat different look in mind. That's not to say I won't still do it by thrifting (that's the only way I can afford), but I will do it with a much more critical eye. I will only buy it if it fits with my overarching plan. (I'm sure I'll still try to work in things I truly love...that's what makes it a home.)

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
My favorite places to shop are yard sales and thrift and antique stores.

The landfills here are quite carefully controlled and the one I use has a hut for donations that are supposedly too good to throw away. I sometimes add to it but have never found anything I want as it's mostly dreadful junk.

For years DH and I yardsaled and browsed in thrift stores. Every room in my house has many pre-owned treasures.

I seldom any longer shop in 2nd hand venues as I am continuing to downsize and don't need the temptation! I've donated a lot to the local thrift stores and have sold, and continue to sell, the more valuable things thru a local consignment shop.

When I was a child in the 40's and 50's my DM's ladies group used to hold a yearly 'rummage' sale as a fund raiser. My DM used to donate our old clothing, etc. and we found it amusing that she'd then buy other people's old clothing (housedresses and aprons) for herself!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Thrifting is so much fun. When I have a day to myself, thrifting and wandering around quirky shops is on the top of my list of what I want to do! I find it recharges my creative batteries, and refreshes me. Lots of times I just look and take pictures and think. Love it!

Posts: 7200 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
You all are talking my language. I love old things and I am constantly on the hunt. I bought new furniture pieces but now I want to add some old pieces too to spice it up. I've got my eye out for a pie safe and an antique chest of drawers. Later once we get our garage done I want some sort of a piece of furniture to go in the hall that goes to the garage door. Not sure yet what I want there for sure. Something low with storage I think. Maybe an old buffet or an old dresser without a mirror.

My daughter is also on the hunt for some antique pieces for her bedroom. She bought a gorgeous cabinet a while back.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5710 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
We have a great resale store near us, and we've bought so many things. I think my favorite is my quilt cabinets. Three large cabinets with shelves and sliding glass doors.

Posts: 3617 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,
Browsing through second hand stores really does rev up creative thought. And the way to make your space NOT like the store furniture showrooms and like an Ikea catalog is to get unique things. With even TJMaxx and Home Goods I can recognize some of that 'look' IF the person has decorated a whole vignette with stuff from just there... they sell a lot of the same items all over the country so there is a chance that many people have that 'Max-look' (I call it, or TJ-style).

To put things together from sources that are really not similar means a person needs to think more about where and how to use it. That makes us use our brains and that is a good thing, no wonder we get hooked!

joyluck,
We have a place here, I have not gone to visit there yet, but it is part of a public park, and there is a short stone wall that is built on the sides of the road and picnic areas. From what I have read, it is one day a month, and you come to bring what you want to give away and so you can trade, or swap stuff, or pick up stuff for free. This way they say they are keeping things out of the landfills. I will be visiting that event someday soon. I want to see what it is like and who goes there.

I hear you about the temptations! Sometimes something is so so.... CUTE! that I want to bring it home thinking it will bring lots of conversation when my kids and friends visit... then reality hits! LOL I don't need to prove 'I am creative' anymore... LOL

My mother picked up aprons at the thrift stores once in a while, because a lot were given as gifts back then... and mostly were hardly worn! My mother used them every day so for her, they were useful and she got stains on them and wore them out! So, for her 5 cents or 10 cents was cheaper for something she was going to soil and cheaper than making one. And a 'house-dress'!!! Remember when women wore those? I wear my 'house T-shirt and shorts' when I am cleaning and cooking, goes right in the washer, then put on my 'street clothes' to go to the store or doctor's office! LOL ... I called my staying at home dress 'shift' So my shift dress was what I had on when staying home with the kids... I got some for wearing and being so comfy in the house. Of course in North East NE sweaters and socks were needed so I needed a cozy warm outfit. When you are home with little ones, snuggling is a major pastime! LOL memories....

cocok,
I LOVE the internet, because Pinterest and other sites allow me that same thrill! I was always at jobs where I went out in the field and saw homes from brand new, remodeling, to multi-million estates, kept my imagination fed. Now, I can get that thrill on Pinterest and real estate sites. Really gets the mind going with creative ways to 'what I would do with that space' or 'How I would design that'... Love it! Thinking creatively is always GOOD! Being creative works both sides of the brain and using all sorts of methods and combinations your brain can dream up! And you become engaged the way an artist becomes focused on a project!

Lisa Ann,
We are hunters and gatherers! When not doing that in the supermarket, we go thrifting... or shopping! LOVE spicing it up! I also love pie safes and chest of drawers, both hold a lot of stuff and have a good style to them. I hope you get that thrill soon... of discovering just the 'right' piece! I have always used dressers (taking off the mirror and using it as a wall hanging mirror) making the drawer unit plain, less 'bedroom-ish' when used out of the bedroom.
And your daughter is into the 'hunt' too! She learned from you, and obviously is saving lots of money by buying used...! a PLUS!

Annon,
3 cabinets with sliding doors!!! GORGEOUS! LOVE THOSE! They are beautiful with your quilts in them! WOW! And you found those at the re-store? What a great find!!!

posted Hide Post
Anon, you are one of those people whose creativity astounds me! What a beautiful display, really museum worthy!

Do the quilts vary in size? Do you hand or machine quilt? Do you display these at quilt shows?

A very, very impressive display and a very very lucky find those cabinets were!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I sometimes add to it but have never found anything I want as it's mostly dreadful junk.

Well for sure our swap shop has dreadful junk but it also has very many valuable things. I got a Turkish prayer rug there appraised for $600, the other day I got a large framed print, an etched glass jam jar with silver top, a blue onion mug to match some I have. this is a wealthy town and the swap shop can reflect that. I also heard from two of my nieces that the thrift store on Nantucket Island is not to be believed!

My DD gets some of her best things from a church sale. Last piece of furniture she got was a darling dressing table for her DD's bedroom. She also picks stuff up from the street!

the chair in this corner her next door neighbor had put out for the trash. DD just ordered some bun feet and was set to go!

posted Hide Post
Oh, don't worry, Mary Ruth - I will never have a TJ house-lol! Or, as my DD said about her boyfriend's mother's house "It looks like Hobby Lobby exploded!" Wink

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
Oh what a cozy chair for that room... and the RUG is amazing! Love that room! Your daughter is doing a great job making it homey!

Nitalynn,
You gave me a good chuckle! 'EXPLODED' is a good word!!! Smile

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Anon that is one of the most gorgeous displays I have ever seen for quilts. I love it love it love it. I love quilts anyway and think they are about the most beautiful art that their is. Your display just verifies that for me.

A couple of weeks back was the 127 yard sale and we stopped at one that had some of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen. I would have loved to have bought one but it wasn't in the budget at the time. I fell in love with one that she had.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5710 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Anon, forgot to ask, how many quilts do those cabinets hold? You are truly Quilt RiCH! Beautiful quilt rich!

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do the quilts vary in size? Do you hand or machine quilt? Do you display these at quilt shows?

I have everything from miniatures to queen size quilts. I started out machine piecing and hand quilting everything (that was decades ago), and now I usually, but not always machine piece, hand or machine applique, and machine quilt. I always have a large quilt on my frame in the family room to hand quilt when I get time, mostly in the winter. I have at least the same number of quilts as in the cabinets displayed, used, or stored around my house (luckily, it's a big house!) I've made all but about ten large quilts, which are antiques from estate sales, and some small quilts given to me as gifts.

I do try to display a few quilts in shows every year. It's really a bother, but if we don't enter quilts, there's nothing to look at in the shows. This year I entered two quilts in the NQA show in Columbus, Ohio.

I never sell my quilts, but I've given over a hundred away, I'm sure. My kids are "full up", but I try to make one for my daughter every year. I would do the same for my DIL, but she really doesn't care for them. The grands, of course, have their share too. I gift them to good friends of my daughter & son when they have babies, and I make and donate about four-five a year to wounded soldiers. I belong to a group of ladies that make and gift a baby layette (including quilt) to each of the babies born at our military hospital. Whew! That's a lot of quilting, but I've done it over 35 years! During my DH's military career he was away from home quite often. After the kids went to bed I would start to sew, and it's amazing how much you can do when the house is quiet. Now, with the kids grown, I'm fortunate to have time to do what I love.

I don't know how many quilts will fit in the cabinets, but there are 42 shelves, which fit up to three large quilts or many more small quilts on each, so......that's a lot of quilts!

Lisa Ann, it's so hard to pass up those antique quilts, isn't it? I think they are so beautiful! I prefer the old red and white quilts, they look so nice at the holidays.

BTW, I change out all my quilts each season, and it takes all day! I can hardly wait for fall, my favorite.

Thank you all for your nice comments, some people think I'm quilt crazy, but I prefer "focused". Smile

Posts: 3617 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Annon -- those quilts are lovely -- they took my breath away!

We started married life buying "used" -- at first it was the golden oak but then our tastes changed and we sold those pieces and got better things. We were young, we were poor but we liked nice things and the new furniture we could afford was plastic and particalboard, while the used stuff was quality and wood!

We have bought new sofas and a new chair (and always new mattresses) but everything else is "used"!

There are a couple of furniture consignment shops in the city which we love to browse (even now when if we get something new something NEEDS to go!) and we find that in that area antiques (Victorian) and vintage (Edwardian and 20s) are often surprisingly cheap while the barely used Pottery Barn furniture sells for big bucks!

Our furniture is an eclectic mix of European, Asian and Victorian and we like that style -- hoping to recreate our version of some of our favorite places that we stayed at in England.

Martha

Posts: 6046 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the best thing about thrifting and consignment shopping is that each piece has a story!

As with new stuff: oh, yes, we were looking for a sofa and we went to Macy's and we really liked that style and it came in the fabric we wanted, yada, yada, yada.

But rather: We were in the city and decided to shop by this quaint shop. Not expecting to find the round table that we've been wanting, but therre in the corner it was . . . AND it was only $25!!!! We were so happy and even though our car was full of (fill in the blank), we bought it and brought it home!

So not only do you have a houseful of furniture, you also have a houseful of memories!

Martha

Posts: 6046 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Annon, quote from you:
"Thank you all for your nice comments, some people think I'm quilt crazy, but I prefer "focused".
I think they got that backwards...LOL it is 'crazy' (as a type of quilt) quilts and YOU are a focused and serious quilt maker and creator.

This hand craft takes a lot of patience, having made a couple of quilts in my day, and observed my relatives making quilts over the year, I know how MUCH work goes into each one, by hand and by machine! And you care for them so nicely and respect each one. IMPRESSIVE!

Linderhoff,
my youngest son and only daughter visited me yesterday, and I was amazed at how much 'story' went with each piece they asked about as we walked through each room. My daughter decided to dazzle me with some of her decorating ideas, not bad... she looked at me and said 'see mom, SOME of you DID rub off on me'! sweet moments!!!

posted Hide Post
Anon, I think it is wonderful that you have had so much success and achievement and productivity in doing something you truly love.

You have had an amazing number of works of art created.

I hope you have photographed each quilt that you have made!

I once taught a quilting class (never took one of course!) so I know what an amount of work goes into each of these wonderful, useful and delightful items. I recently took a chance on a large quilt at a fair. DD could not understand why I did so and I can not understand how she could not understand!

I have bought a lot of quilts over time (not as many by far as you have given away) and most were very far gone, but still a real delight to study the designs and colors used.

Congratulations on your remarkable achievements!

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Smile

My DD tells me I should take photos of all, but sadly, I haven't. I had many, many photos on my computer which died. Photos gone. Every time I change the quilts (next week the fall q's come out!) I know I should be taking photos.

My sister and I are working on a big, year long project, and we've promised we will keep a notebook and photos.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Annon,
I lost a lot of photos with a computer crash, now I keep thumbnail and a My Book external drive and back up documents and photos. IF my computer goes this time... my photos will be accessible from the external storage.

I realize for you, photographing each one really means 'a LOT of work'!

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Your quilts, Annon, HAVE MADE ME WEAK IN THE KNEES! Absolutely gorgeous. Breathtaking!

Posts: 7200 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and the best thing about thrifting and consignment shopping is that each piece has a story!

This is what my DD always says. DGD left for college this a.m. with a packed (whatever you call those big cars) she had a collection of old pictures of movie stars DD got at a yard sale framed in $1 frames from Xmas tree shoppe. The framed shelf thing, a small chair, a small stand (painted) she got at Swap shop along with two huge Margarita glasses (IMHO ugly) plus the other things she has in storage up there inc. other years street and SS finds!

Actually now that I think about it; consignment shops are upscale for us! (that is also the name of one such shop here!)

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
consignment shops are upscale for us!

I find the prices at most consignment shops are more than I want to pay so seldom shop in them but do like to sell my extra items there. My preferred pre-owned shopping venues are yard sales as there are often many bargains to be found.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I do not shop consignment shops either, well I used to, but the prices are higher. I don't really need anything else for the house, unless I find something better than what I have already and swap out.

This has been a great topic with interesting discussion! Thanks everyone!

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Cocok, thank you!

Mary Ruth, I keep saying I'm going to take photos, but when the time comes I don't do it.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Annon,
I know it is easier to say than do, especially when everything is neatly put away!

I NEVER thought of taking photos until I met a friend on this board named Judithva. As it turned out she lived within a 15 minute drive in the next city! We got together and her LOVE of photography rubbed off on me. She spends a whole day set aside for photographing vignettes and table scapes. (her blog though she does not work with it so much anymore for a sample of her work: http://judith-sweetdesigns.blogspot.com/)

The experience with Judith made me realize that our photography is as labor intensive as if we were dressing and getting ready for an important family photo. And that is why we don't do it as much (taking formal photos)

So, recruit a friend if you know someone IRL who can encourage you and work with you as a team for photographing your work. As time goes by, you do not want this (photographing) to be a regret. (small regret because you DO have the real quilts in your home)

Pick one area or shelf to photograph, and keep a note as to where you left off... then photograph, then plan another day... such as one day a month or one month when not much is going on (no holiday or much going on such as winter in the doldrums after Xmas) I used to do a lot of family photos and journaling in Jan and Feb when I lived up North... to avoid the long darker months. Here in Florida where I live now, July and August seem to be our 'shut in' months so I will plan for those months to catch up on the OLD ART of preserving heritage and information for my children.

Didn't mean to give you a 'speech' just wanted you to know (since I am older) how time affects us, and how we can do things to help us realize how time moves in a linear fashion, and before we know it... we didn't do something important or something we had wanted to do but never got around to doing it... Your quilts are a life's work for you and you already respect that work and talent. Documentation is just another form of showing reverence for the craft and art.

Besides, I am selfish, I am reminding you to take photos so I can SEE them! LOL Smile
You can take all your photos of your quilts, and make a book on http://www.blurb.com/create-photo-books OR print them out and take them to a print shop to make a book with a plastic binder on them. I am working on his project for my best Virginia house photos (since I took so many). Smile

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Other than for the enjoyment of those of us who love decor there is another good reason to take pictures of items in our homes and that is for insurance purposes. While we *could* just make lists of our belongings, pictures are worth more in the occurrence of a disaster that damages our belongings, or if fire or theft removes them permanently.

I had never done that except for a few pics of vignettes but a few years ago when we were planning to be away from home for an extended period I went around with my camera and took a lot of pics. All I did was take pics of every side of every room and opened cupboard doors and drawers and snapped pics. Stored online or on a device (removable flash memory card/memory stick) that can be stored away from one's home this would be invaluable if an insurance claim is necessary. I need to do this again as I've bought some new things and no longer have some of the old ones.

Lucky

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I should add for those who believe their pre-owned treasures have little value because they did not pay much for them at yard sales or in consignment shops if you were to replace them you might be surprised to find what it would cost. I've been selling many of my yard sale finds at a consignment shop and it's amazing what they bring in that market. Often those who hold yard sales only want to get rid of extra items so price them well below the actual market value. Even tho the consignment shop I sell in keeps 50% I have made good profit on all the yard sale finds they have sold for me as there are many people who don't want to yard sale but still like pretty things priced below retail.

Lucky

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
joyluck,
Somehow we take that information for granted, so it was WONDERFUL of you to bring that to light! Taking photos and keeping records is a sober and good thing to do.

In our busy lives today, we do not keep up some of the traditions handed down from prior generations, keep journals, write to relatives (often) and take photos of family members often, and of vacations. And recording our 'stuff' for insurance is so valuable. Especially for us who live in Florida (& hurricane or tornado paths)

Thank you for taking the time to post this on this thread joyluck! You did us all an incredible favor with a nice subtle reminder.

YES those treasures are not 'thrift store, or yard sale, or even found on the side of the road' ONCE they are in your home and cared for! Why even my DH can look an awful fright coming in after mowing the lawn and doing yard work... but a good shower and he 'cleans up nicely'! LOL

I have had quite a few family members and friends put their noses up at some things I have brought home in 'as is' condition. Then, some time later, once I had time to refurbish the item, only to hear 'where did you FIND that'? Or 'I love it!!! can I have it?' or 'can you find me something for my house'! What oddity our BRAINS must be for those who do not have a creative bone in their body for this type of vision!

Bravo to all my 'visionary' friends! Love you all!

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the reminder, and I plan to make that a priority this winter. Smile ......again!

What I really regret is not taking pictures of all the quilts that I've given away.

I should know better, since my daughter's college apartment burned down. Due to her good record keeping and photos, the ins company paid for all her damage and loss. Even the food in her refrigerator!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for nice comments, I was so afraid (after I posted) that I might have sounded too forceful, the 'mother in me' scolding of sorts... Smile

Have NO regrets, our memories are still with us long after 'things' are gone. And remember a gift (giving away) means you 'let go' of those items and hope the new owner will appreciate (though never guaranteed, we can't worry about them...)

You do have treasures, and we appreciate so much you sharing your photos with US on the board!!! What a great hobby, a craft that brings MORE hand crafted beauty into the world!

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
No, Mary Ruth, I was fine with your reply. Smile I just haven't been to the boards much lately. I'm away from home watching my grandkids & don't have my computer. Doing everything from my kindle makes it a little harder to navigate the web. Also finding caring for 2 little ones keeps me pretty busy.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Annon,
I am so glad you visit when you can! BLESS you for having grandkids to look after! What a great way to keep busy.