Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  carpet suggestions please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

carpet suggestions please Sign In/Join 
posted
We're going to replace the carpet in our bedroom
want something nice but not the top of the line. Neutral color. It's just the two of us with the dog.
haven't bought carpet in so long so need some help.
Thanks.

Carlene

Posts: 1683 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many choices and none of them will be bad. It's just what you like.

When we bought this house the carpet in the bedrooms was loop that has some sculpture to it(almost squares). In the past I have avoided any loop carpet because I was afraid of what the dogs nails would do to it. Was I ever wrong!!

I think the uneven part hides any blemishes because the only one I see was here when we moved in (probably from moving furniture). I like the color too. Beige with threads of other colors. I have not painted there yet so it does not hinder any color.

Because of my back, vacuuming can be difficult but it is much easier on this type of carpet than the plush I have had in the past.

Hope this helps somewhat to have someone's experience.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 7115 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Visit a reputable carpet/flooring store in your area, NOT the big box home improvement chains, and consult with a sales associate to determine the best carpeting for your budget, decor and lifestyle. You'll be able to borrow large rug samples to see how they look in your home before purchase.

In the meantime, this might help: http://www.carpetcaptain.com/b...arpet-for-pet-owners

Posts: 5314 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'm off to look at carpet!

Carlene

Posts: 1683 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were ever to have carpet again, I'd be sure that what I am buying can be dyed. I had blue carpeting in our bedrooms that could not be dyed and it was hopelessly soiled/stained long before it was worn out!

Posts: 3460 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
if you shop at Costco they carry shaw brand...might be a way of getting a good quality for less?

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Most all carpet is now nylon/synthetic. It hardly will ever wear out in it's useful lifetime. Pick a neutral or color you love, it cannot be dyed.
Good news, nylon is really cleanable.

I agree with shopping at flooring stores, never a box store or multi-dept store. The advice, prices and installation will no doubt be better. Pay a bit extra for a recommended/higher quality pad. It can make even the cheapest carpet feel better and wear better.

Posts: 9638 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Agree on best pad you can afford. Also, there are pads made for pets.

Also decide if you want to see all the footsteps, vacuuming marks, etc.

Some fibers are softer. If walking around barefoot it makes a difference.

Posts: 4542 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post