Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TOILET TANK Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
So what do you have on the top of your toilet tank?

I've seen practical items, I've seen decorative items, I've seen plants, I've seen so many items on top that to fiddle with the workings of the toilet it takes you 10 minutes taking stuff OFF before you can take the lid off the tank! (LOL!)

What's on top of yours -- in every bathroom!

Martha

Posts: 6284 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
The lid to my toilet tank is curved a little so I don't have the option to put pretty or practical things on top. I hope my new toilet has a flat tank lid!!

Posts: 9717 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Each one has a box of tissues with a decorated cover. That is it.

Posts: 3239 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Half bath has a garden type angel statue, DH's bathroom has nothing because it's a top flush type and my bathroom has a shallow dish with rocks and candles.

Overall, pretty easy to remove if necessary.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't ask me why but I hate decorations on the toilet tank lid. It reminds me of people who decorate the tops of those large stereo speakers we all had 20 years ago. I'm also not a big fan of plants on top of kitchen upper cabinets, so maybe it's just a clutter thing.Although when we owned a Victorian I displayed all my sterling silver serving pieces on the cabinet tops. I just think that not every horizontal surface needs a doo-dad. JMHO

Posts: 1800 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Nothing on the tank lids in the bathrooms used by guests. A box with essential oils on my ensuite tank lid. They are kept cool there because of the cold water. The powder room lid has a silver tray with candle and shells.

I almost never have to take the lids off the tanks and it would be easy enough to remove one item.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I don't like things on toilet tanks either -- but in our downstairs bath there is no storage, so there is a basket in which goes extra toilet paper and the guest towels. That to me is a better solution than putting the rolls of toilet paper on the plunger handle!

And Charles, I'm with you about plants on top of kitchen cabinets. Everytime I see that all I can think of is greasy dust, greasy dust!

Martha

Posts: 6284 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
we have only two toilets. Always a box of tissues, the box itself not a plastic or metal container. Upstairs a glass jar with bar soaps in it.

both bathrooms a metal holder on floor for extra rolls of t.p.

I don't really have a proper bathroom room on the first floor. We have a back hall with a sink in it and a louvered door which hides a toilet. This space (toilet) is barely 3' X 4' but high of course. There is of course a door between this back hall and house proper for privacy in using this toilet. Years ago I made open shelving out of orange crates and they hang above toilet.

This space is original to our 1905 house so I feel kind of exempt from normal styles and usages common today.

Posts: 13005 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
I don't like things on toilet tanks either -- but in our downstairs bath there is no storage, so there is a basket in which goes extra toilet paper and the guest towels. That to me is a better solution than putting the rolls of toilet paper on the plunger handle!

And Charles, I'm with you about plants on top of kitchen cabinets. Everytime I see that all I can think of is greasy dust, greasy dust!

Martha

Martha, I completely agree with using what you've got when storage is at a premium. That's how my silver tea service and platters,water pitchers, etc. wound up on top of the upper cabinets. Must say you are so right about the greasy dust, cleaning the silver for holidays was twice as hard because of the build up from day to day cooking!

Posts: 1800 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I have this on top of my toilet tank in my guest bathroom. BTW it was hard to take a good picture in this small bathroom.

my pictures

Posts: 4782 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Any my bathroom. Again hard to take good pics in small bathrooms. lol

my pictures

Posts: 4782 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic entering guest bathroom. I guess I'm in picture taking mode right now Smile

my pictures

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
There is nothing on tank in master bath. I don't want to move anything to dust or clean so keep it stream lined. Plus it has a slight curve to it.

The guest bath has a small air freshener. The tank and lid is smaller than normal ones as we had to compensate for installing wall tile behind the toilet.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9500 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
box of tissues in the master. Nothing in the guest or "main" bathroom. I do have artwork on the walls of the main though. "Pomeranian in the Bath" and "Sheltie in the Bath"

The dogs in the artwork look exactly like my two and people love the prints! My sis thought I had (lost my mind) and had custom prints done.

Posts: 3445 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine each have a lidded box designed to hold CDs, but that holds two rolls of extra toilet paper perfectly. I prefer the box to the holders that go on the floor.

Posts: 2027 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just little things...I like to see a little dish of potpourri or a candle, or something like that.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
extra tp, extra tp and the other bath has extra tp and a rubber duckie for the grands' bathtime.

piney

Posts: 3232 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I have 5 bathrooms in my house, so 5 toilets. 4 of the toilets have absolutely nothing on top of the toilet tank. The other bathroom is my master bath, and I am a little bit embarrassed to say that I have neglected to install a toilet paper holder in that bath, and so there is a single roll of toilet paper sitting on the top of that toilet tank. Sigh. Where is my to-do list? I need to add install toilet paper holder to it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7262 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Country Curtain Catalog, a Pottery Barn catalog, and a LL Bean Catalog Smile.

Posts: 652 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I am not crazy about a bunch of (just pretty) stuff sitting around either. Our tanks are clear of anything, but a couple of the bathrooms have shelves just above them for tissue, and a makeup storage basket. Electric tooth brushes are stored on the counter or a high shelf for charging.
We have extra TP roll dispensers hanging from the tank sides. They hook over the edge, and have a post or a place to put extra rolls.

I also like little wire or plastic baskets with handles to store makeup or personal items. These are either stored away (hung under the sink) or if out on a shelf can quickly be moved to another location if needed there. Our Shampoo/conditioner/liquid soap dispensers are wall hung in the showers, and refilled from larger containers.
Keeping surfaces clear or easy to clear sure helps with easier cleaning, for me anyway.

Never really believed all the hype about tooth brushes being exposed to airborne fecal matter when you flush the toilet (at least none of ours spray water all over during a flush).Wink Besides if that were the case, wouldn't towels and wash cloths would need to be stored away in a cabinet and retrieved for every use, right?

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never really believed all the hype about tooth brushes being exposed to airborne fecal matter when you flush the toilet

OMG how we humans can scare ourselves. This thread makes me think of long ago friends who were famous for the way they decorated their house for holidays (visible from main road) One year at a Xmas party DH was trying to get away from all the decorations and he went into the bathroom where he thought he would be safe. On no, lifting the lid there was a Santa Claus toilet cover! Anyone else remember them, lid cover, matching rug for around toilet and I think a tank cover too.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Before anyone gets on my case about the flushing toilet spreading fecal matter.....

Yes I know scientific testing has proven it does tend to be airborne...my point is that we do normally close the lid prior to flushing (then one does not have to remind the guys to close all lids between uses), and we have been very healthy, even our kids seldom got sick when growing up (even with tooth brushes sitting out on the counter, towels wash cloths hanging). Probably all those germs and bacteria just made us less susseptable? Wink

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Just a boutique sized box of tissues with a co ver on the tank in my bathroom. Nothing on DH's toilet tank.

I am having a new Kohler toilet installed in the MBA next week (YAY) and am reluctant to place anything on the tank as it has a slight curve. Plus, I really prefer to keep the tank clear of stuff.

So, just yesterday, I was researching bathroom storage ideas, mostly wall-hung cabinets. But nothing yet has caught my fancy. I do keep a decorative, lidded basket near the commode that stores extra rolls of TP and some other personal hygiene products, but I want to find something new.

Posts: 5350 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably all those germs and bacteria just made us less susseptable?

Actually
Conrad I think washing hands before eating or preparing food is the best thing anyone can do to protect their health.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You are probably correct on the hand washing LOS! This family has always been good about that.

And I never have used sponges to wipe counter surfaces. A clean dish cloth for the kitchen each day, and paper towels or a clean microfiber in the bathroom for surface cleaning.

Picture of daciab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
Each one has a box of tissues with a decorated cover. That is it.

Same here.

~DaciaB

UPDATED 06/20/11
http://user.midlands.net/dacia/

"Worms Eat My Garbage"

http://pinterest.com/daciabb/

Posts: 4897 | Location: zone 4 | Registered: Sep 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post