Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Update - Dining Room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update - Dining Room Sign In/Join 
posted
So, I am waiting for my dining room table to be complete. I have attached a similar picture below.
The first picture is a before of the dining room and then second one is the start of the transformation of the dining room. I am not sure if I will go with these white chairs with the farmhouse table or I was thinking of having custom amish oak chairs made to match the stain of the table. Thoughts on that?
The next would be a rug. Would you suggest a rug? If so, I would get a wool rug that's a flatweave but should I keep my chairs simple and add a pop of color (brightness) with the rug?
Thanks so much for the help!!!

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jun 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Updating in progress...

posted Hide Post
Barnwood Table ordered (same color and top just different style legs)

posted Hide Post
I hope you love your table when it arrives.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
The DR hutch is pretty and you have it filled already with dishes. Love the rustic look of the table. You can always wait and see how you like those chairs. Then decide if you want to change to the oak ones.

I am a no rug person with tile floors. Easy to sweep and mop without them. You can add colors with prints on each side of the hutch. Just another possibility for your DR.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9342 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I'm loving your progress. If I were to do a rug, I'd probably go with something simple like a jute or sisal. I like how the chairs contrast with the table instead of match it.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of that table with the hutch and yes, keep the white chairs. They're really nice and will tie the whole thing together. I like the idea of a rug, but like Beau said, it's much easier to clean up without one, especially if this is your main eating area.

Nice to have a fireplace in your kitchen!

Wanda

Posts: 4801 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a little concerned about the white chairs being a little cheap quality. I have little ones and want the furniture to last a long time. Smile

The other thought I had was this chair (arm chairs at the head of the table and armless on each side) What do you guys think of these amish, solid wood chairs in a custom stain to match the table?

Thanks much!!!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of repeating the table stain via the end chairs. Though you can rest assured Amish furniture is well made to last and those chairs appear to be comfortable due to the style of the curved high backs, I would be reluctant to buy them on line. It is always best to test them in person.

Posts: 18443 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo - We have tested them in person. I just found a picture online to attach. There is a local Amish Home Gallery in town and that's where I would order them from. They are super cool and comfortable for a wood chair.
Do you guys think that these chairs would be ok with the "barnwood" style of the table?

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Those are cool chairs!!!

Can you bring a chair home to see how it looks?

After my experience w/ a quilt and my kitchen Roll Eyes, I gotta see in person anymore. LOL!!

My ability to visualize seems to have left the building!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5552 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The proportions of the table are a wee bit chunky for the china cabinet, which is OK for a more relaxed casual look. If however, you go with the wood chairs they will also be masculine and chunky.The cabinet will be a lone odd piece. I really like the chairs and the hutch being of similar style and color to tie the two sides of the room together. Also having the table being its own singular style usually works because it is so grounded to the space and can sit on its own.Maybe you can find better quality Louis Phillipe style cream kitchen chairs?

Posts: 1738 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
ITA with Charles D.

Here's a chair from Pottery Barn that could work with your table: http://www.potterybarn.com/pro...ey=cchairs-barstools

Also, upholstered chairs would contrast nicely with the heavy masculine table. This one provides a whimsical "country" feel: http://www.decorsouth.com/list...utxbYCFRQbnAodBV8AYg

Posts: 5169 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aychi, exactly the chair I had in mind, love how the arched back picks up on the curve of the hutch.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to give you an idea...this is the exact table that is being created for us. Just same color as table I posted above.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/14...ctic-kitchen-atlanta

I fell in love with the amish chairs i posted a picture of and now I'm having second thoughts due to your suggestions. Frown Uh oh!
I don't have a good sense of what things will look like until it's all in the room and i can see it so maybe you guys are right, maybe it won't work to have same color stained chairs and the table/chairs won't match with the hutch. mmmmm.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mommy4Life,

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The custom table with its X-legs is gorgeous. Great choice!

I feel the Amish chairs, while beautiful in their own right, are not a good fit for the table -- even if the hutch were not a factor.

I know how challenging it is to find chairs for a table when you are trying to mix and match or coordinate with other pieces of furniture. I am too embarrassed to tell you how many times I've messed things up in the past.

That is why lately I have found that upholstered chairs are the best solution for this type of decorating dilemma: they can be made in any color or pattern you need. They add softness and comfort, especially when there are a lot of hard surfaces in the room.

If you can try out the Amish chairs and be able to return them without any hassle, that might help you better visualize how they look with the table.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

posted Hide Post
I too agree that upholstered chairs would look great with the table. The concern of mine would be that this is my main (and only) dining area and I would be worried about stains. Once again...young children and we entertain a lot.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I hear you, M4L. Growing up we were a family of 7! The chairs my parents used were upholstered on the seat only; the fabric was replaced periodically. They took a beating! As we grew older and more civilized, we got new chairs with fabric on the back and seats.

You might consider chairs with linen or cotton slipcovers that can be laundered. Just a thought.

posted Hide Post
The other option could be to have the Amish Gallery custom paint the chairs an antique white to match the china hutch and place three on each side of the table (6 total)? and then find two upholstered chairs for the ends (head) of the table?

posted Hide Post
Here is my custom table. It is almost done. A few coats of finish and it's done! It will also lighten up a little.

posted Hide Post
So, seeing it close to this picture of the chairs, what do you think? (keep in mind these chairs would be custom stained to match the table) Or painted antique white.
If they're not a good "style" match, I'll go a totally different direction. Smile

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Here are some options for your table.

Use 2 of the Amish arm chairs (stained to match table). Those chairs need to work with the table color and not the hutch color (imho).

Then use the white chairs on the side. Add cushions if needed to bring color into the room.

There are stain resistant fabrics so that would not concern me. Easy to change out a few cushions. I always add a couple extra yards of fabric to have just in case of an accidental spill. Truly, have not needed the extra fabric in 8 years. Yes, kids and boys here too.

Here is a link so you can see some of the patterns in the fabric.

http://www.joann.com/home-deco...abric/brand_crypton/

You can also order swatches to see them first which helps in making the final selection.

Good luck on your DR. The table is gorgeous and I hope you enjoy it for many years.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9342 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update of the dining room with the new table!!! The picture does not do this table justice...it looks amazing! I also had a wine rack with railroad ties build too that's in the back left. Not sure if I'll hang it on the left or right yet.

As far as the chairs go. I love the style, weight, quality of the wood, stained amish made chair. The cream chair is from Pier 1. So, what are your thoughts? One arm chair at each end of the table and then have the same chair (without arms) painted cream like the pier one chair to put on the sides of the table? Or ...... ?? (Keep in mind the pier 1 chairs are a total different quality and weight than the amish chair (hence the suggestion of maybe getting the armless chair painted to match the hutch)

Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
That looks really nice! I like both of the chairs but am drawn to the chair to match the china cabinet. To me it makes it fit with the table instead of having it be the only white thing in there. Your new table fit perfectly too!

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the table, buffet and white chair.

It appears that the table leg will prevent you from using more than 1 chair on the long sides of the table. With that in mind I would forget that large armchair and consider the white armchairs or possibly an upholstered chair.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Apr 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you!

The stained arm chair actually looks huge in this picture for some reason. Just keep in mind too that I'm not keeping (or buying more) of the white chair from Pier1. The quality just isn't there for me.
The table also has extensions for each end (I will post a pic later) that will allow more chairs to fit easily. On an everyday basis, I will probably only have one chair on each side and a chair on each end. With guests over, I would have three chairs on each side (two may hae to straddle the "X" style legs) and then one chair on each end.
What about the stained style chairs. Two with arms stained to match the table for each end of the table and then 6 of that chair without the arms painted to match the china hutch for each side of the table (only one on each side of course when the extensions are not in place)?

posted Hide Post
And the walls will be painted eventually too so they don't clash so much with the china hutch.

Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
It might look really nice with all of the chairs in white. I'm not sure about mixing stained and painted chairs. I do love the cabinet and table!

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I think it would be cute to use the white chairs, but then use upholstered chairs on the ends of the table.

Posts: 4590 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about all stained chairs but adding the cream in another way? Table accents? Add pops of bright colors inside hutch....?

posted Hide Post
I think all stained chairs and the hutch painted an earthy shade of yellow, green, orange, or red would look nice.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
it sounds like you really like the stained chairs, so go for it! If that's what you really want, it's your kitchen Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4801 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The style of you table is so much more weighty and masculine looking in comparison to the china cabinet. If you add straight lined stained wood chairs the cabinet will not relate to the eating area at all. You need to have at the very least the two head chairs in cream. Other cream accents in the room like picture frames or accent tables aren't going to create the tie in you need to connect the table to the cabinet.

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Love love the table & end chair.The curved arm rest & back.This room is coming together beautifully.That table is well worth every penny it cost.PRICELESS!!My DF built DM a hutch,buffet and farm table in the 1970's.Has ladder back chairs.It still looks brand new today.The hutch will be mine one day.SmileDF built a sis a small hutch in 1990.My DD has it now.

Ok if this was my room-home.I personally don't like the white chairs.I know they will be painted to match the hutch,which will look stunning.I don't like the slats on chairs.I think they have too many slats on the back of chair.Does not match slats to end chairs.It is drawing my eye to look at it.I'd rather look at that table & end chairs.Smile
I love the style & shape of chairs in the 1st pic.The backs match your new end chairs better to me.They can be painted too.

Can you return those to Pier1?I would like a more plain back chair with simpler backs.If not I'd live with them.You could add cloth chair toppers to tone it down.It could be a coridnating fabric.Just my thought if this was mine.Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. So I went ahead and ordered two stained arm chairs and the rest stained armless chairs. I just decided in the end that I liked that better. Smile

What about painting the hardware on the china hutch a bright color? Yellow, orange, green, turquoise.....?

And then I was thinking a table runner to match the china cabinet and maybe a bright color in it that would match the hardware placed from side to side of table like this...
http://www.houzz.com/photos/13...ining-room-vancouver