Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Bringing life to my dining room :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing life to my dining room :) Sign In/Join 
posted
Here is my current dining room. I purchased a large antique white china cabinet to go on the far wall (the only wall in the dining room). I am also looking into purchasing a custom length barn wood table that would be stained med-dark. I am stuck on what chairs i want to put around the table. I'm thinking maybe upholstered chairs at the heads of the table and then maybe wood chairs on each side of the table. Or all upholstered. Not sure. I need your help. Am I headed in the right direction with the china cabinet and table? Thanks!!!!

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jun 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another angle from living room to dining. The back room there is the sunroom. Don't pay attention to the loveseat back there (we are literally changing every room). Smile Just the dining room comes first.

posted Hide Post
Here is the antique white china hutch that I would like on the dining room wall.

posted Hide Post
And then a table similar to this

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I LOVE that hutch!

Do you plan on keeping this piece white/off white?

How do you plan on tying in that black mullion look (and hinges and handles)? Black table, or antiqued with black? white/off white upholstered chairs? (or off white in print on chairs)

Will your table be more rustic (as photo shown, and similar to what is sold at World Market (Cost Plus)? OR more refined look?

You mixing Primitive with Country refined?

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the table I was thinking but in a lighter stain than this. (A local guy can build one for me specific to my measurements) And for only $400 which I thought was a steel for an old barn wood table. Smile I will post a couple pictures of chairs I was maybe thinking... (not sure how to do smaller pictures and more than one pic in a posting.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Love the china cabinet. It will offer you abundant storage and display space. A vibrant wall color behind it will set it off as a focal point and breath vitality into your neutral space.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This table is on order. Smile Love it. Now, what about chairs. I am getting the white China Cabinet as well (being picked up tomorrow) Smile Thoughts? (I can't do a bench though)

posted Hide Post
What do you think of the metal chairs in that pic paired with upholstered chairs on each side?

I also like these chairs...

posted Hide Post
I was thinking the one before this or this one for the head of the table (2). And then maybe a wood chair or metal chair for each side (3 on each side)

posted Hide Post
This one looks bright white but it's actually antique white like the hutch.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Love your idea of mixing the two different styles. Those floral chairs are pretty and would be a nice bridge between the two pieces.

I would carefully consider the chair style and perhaps keep them all the same. Boring? perhaps but the eclectic look can easily become the chaotic look without planning.

What direction do you want to take the room? Do you have a design plan so the items you bring in will work with other rooms/furniture later?

Copy & paste the different options so you can see each choice and get a better idea.

Good Luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, bring some color to the space perhaps repeating one color from the adjoining space. There are an awful lot of variations of brown thus far. I like the idea of carrying some of the hutch color to the table via chairs which would be a nice contrast to the dark wood table. I also like the addition of pattern.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
Love your idea of mixing the two different styles. Those floral chairs are pretty and would be a nice bridge between the two pieces.

I would carefully consider the chair style and perhaps keep them all the same. Boring? perhaps but the eclectic look can easily become the chaotic look without planning.

What direction do you want to take the room? Do you have a design plan so the items you bring in will work with other rooms/furniture later?

Copy & paste the different options so you can see each choice and get a better idea.

Good Luck!

I agree with everything Beau's Rose said. Sometimes eclectic can get off track easily. You already have dark granite which comes across fairly contemporary. The table, hutch and chairs will be enough of a mix for one room. Keep the walls neutral and if you need more colour, add it with a few accessories or an area rug.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am starting all over with the whole open concept (Kitchen/Dining/Living Room) so I just need an inspiration piece for color.
Obviously I won't be changing any countertops, cabinets, or trim. But, I do need a start for bringing in color. Do I go with more of a neutral color chair (white wood chairs and gray upholstered chairs) and then bring something new in with a rug? Do I go with the floral chairs as head of the table chairs but then what do I add for the side chairs? Wouldn't it be too much to have the floral chairs as the only type of chair around the table?

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mommy4Life:
I am starting all over with the whole open concept (Kitchen/Dining/Living Room) so I just need an inspiration piece for color.
Obviously I won't be changing any countertops, cabinets, or trim. But, I do need a start for bringing in color. Do I go with more of a neutral color chair (white wood chairs and gray upholstered chairs) and then bring something new in with a rug? Do I go with the floral chairs as head of the table chairs but then what do I add for the side chairs?

Wouldn't it be too much to have the floral chairs as the only type of chair around the table?

YES! Chairs all the same, imho! I think there is a hint in your post of indecision about your inspiration. Are you under time constraints to get the room done? When I struggle with decorating decisions (paint, fabrics, rugs, etc) it usually means I need to step back for a bit and then something hits that is even better.

How fun to be able to start over and make new choices for your space.If you are at the "start-over" point, it makes perfect to do lots of homework first. Here is a recent thread on the boards with tips on design.

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4079532/m/4013921867

There are lots of different directions for your look. But without a definite plan it will be too easy to veer off course from what you want. Too many temptations in the decorating world. Factor in those items you are not changing; they are an already given. Are you planning any changes to the lighting?

Carefully study other DR and what you like about them. Make your plan first. I like to put ideas in a folder or notebook to carry with me. Include fabric swatches that you are considering along with a "TO-Scale" floorplan.

For example, most of these DR have coordinating pieces. Many rooms show the table and hutch in the same style. Then the chairs can be mixed with different fabrics but are usually all the same also.

http://www.ethanallen.com/shop_by_room/dining%20rooms

Decorating is hard work (for me at least) and expensive. Take the time to do a plan first.

BTW: All my DR chairs match. Smile

PS: Don't forget that you can use a soft tweed fabric on the chairs and add interest with pillows or a table runner. It really comes down to your personal style and decorating wishes! Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Any chance that you would share where you found the hutch? I need a large one like that and hopefully with a matching table for our new house/dining room.

TX Mommy4life

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like country decor then you know all about where to find the best primitive decor online. Or so you thought. country decor can be hard to find. Even better country decor at a good price. I however have a solution for you. The best new place to find country decor. Visit www.theprimitivecottage.com there is everything you can imagine. Register on their website and get 10% off!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Three advertisements in a row....all on old posts!

Please read the rules.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
word of caution? i'd tape out in the floor first the hutch, then the table...it seems you're putting some pretty big pieces in a limited space?

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post