Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Sliding closet doors - mirror or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sliding closet doors - mirror or not? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Pecasatwo
posted
Hi - we have a 106" wide closet currently with three wooden sliders (each 3') and I am thinking of replacing them with mirror doors. My home is older (50's) and there is no wall space in this bedroom for hanging a dressing mirror - so I figured why not change the doors -? I would go with heavy beveled edge glass - not the inexpensive plastic framed doors of the past... what do you tink - mistake or not?

All opinions welcome. ps - it's not ahuge room - but it has two walls of window and a wall of dresser - so this is almost a full wall of mirror - across from the windows - so it would bounce lots of light!

Posts: 936 | Location: Roselle, Illinois | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
My living room window is 110" so I have a pretty good idea of the size you are working with and that is a large area. Personally, I would not like that much mirror but if you like it, go for it!

I saw this done to wood doors and it creates the look of "french doors".

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Annie, I LOVE that take on a French door so thanks for posting it.

Regarding 9feet of mirrored closet doors, I too think it's a bit much. It's personal opinion though. Can you mount a framed mirror on the back of the entry door? Another option and one I have is to have a standing mirror if floor space allows.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We designed and built our present home 27 years ago. Our master has a whole wall of sliding mirrored doors...not particularly fashionable these days, but I wouldn't change them now as they make the bedroom APPEAR much larger than it is and as they are opposite another wall of windows...the light reflects giving the room a very spacious feel.

Posts: 734 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
i have a full length mirror on the inside of closet doors - One that i can stand far enough back to get a good look at me from head to toe.

I suppose it is personal taste - but I would not want to see myself in a mirror everywhere i turned, so a wall of mirrors wouldn't be my cup of tea.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned about proportional space... 9' isn't bad if your wall is at least double that length. Love the idea of being able to bounce light around though. I think Annie's post is something to inspire you... the benefits of mirror tempered with classic doors. I am just taken with those.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I say go for it. I had a tiny 710 sq ft house with mirror sliders on th hall closet and they were great for 'adding' expansiveness to the place. Like you, it was the only place for a full length mirror.

After a while you don't even notice them or yourself in them all the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wendek,

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i'm glad you're not skimping on the mirrors...what i might do is find a glass showroom and look at a larger set to see if you'd be overwhelmed...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the ones that I have!!!

Mirrors are not currently the trend but as soon as everyone has taken them down, the pendulum will swing and they will be de rigeur again.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care for the look myself. If that is what works for you--go ahead. If that is what will make you happy- go for it. It is not a difficult thing to change down the road if you needed to sell and buyers didn't like it.

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My closets have mirror framless folding doors and look GREAT!!!!

Posts: 1126 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
We did something similar to the picture posted. We just got the mirror tiles and put those on the wood doors with trim and stuff. I looks nice. I like it better than a huge solid mirror door.

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post