Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Would you want to be on a reality TV show?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you want to be on a reality TV show? Sign In/Join 
posted
I've already decided on my answer - NO - but I was told that it might be a possibility! If you've kept up with some of my recent posts, you know that DH and I bought an early 1900s house and had it deconstructed and the pieces moved to our recently purchased land. We plan to have the house re-built in basically the original configuration, and this will be our "retirement project" and retirement home. The rebuild will not start for a year or so, since we don't have the funds, and will probably have to sell our current house.

The young eager contractor that did the deconstruction works with a company called Reclaimed Space (you can add a dot com to that and see their work, but I didn't want to appear that I was advertising), and apparently he is being featured on a reality show about reclaimed space (I haven't gotten any of the details yet; it was a quick conversation). He told me in that quick conversation that the show was very interested in featuring our rebuild on a future show...After the initial excitement, I realized that it wasn't a good idea...first, I knew DH would never go for it, but more importantly, this is supposed to be our little putt-putt retirement project; no pressure, taking as long as we want, no outside influences or pressure or interference...I can't imagine being rushed for a TV show.

So even though I know the answer is "no" I'm still intrigued enough to want to find out exactly what I'm turning down Wink I will find out what show it is, how much money, etc.

What would you do?

Posts: 4016 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
I'd also go with a "no" until I had a whole lot more details... you're right that being rushed on a "putt putt" project would be no fun.

Posts: 8186 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can definitely say no. My cousin's daughter and son-in-law were part of Freshman Class on that cooking channel and I found it too painful even to watch! My little cousin who has a degree in hotel management and a good job with the state tourism agency was made to look like a pauper when, in fact, she was just on maternity leave.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My life is too boring to qualify for a reality TV show, but in your case I would be open to what life brings your way. Who knows, it could be super fun, and it could bring in a nice surprise income. I think that you should absolutely at least check it out!

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
DH and I always stated that we'd NEVER qualify for such a show for two reasons, we take forrrrever to complete a DIY and we lose our cool so often that we'd break the station's BEEP button during the editing phase. Our work however is top notch. Smile Guess that answers your question. On second thought, those perceived drawbacks could fit today's reality shows' criteria to a T! :-0

BTW,I neglected to state the importance of covering every legal detail before signing any contract. If you are seriously considering this, consult with your attorney for valuable advice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I would never want to be on such a show, I can't even bear to watch them! LOL I like to be in control of projects and am too private to ever willingly be on TV.

However, I do urge you to check it out carefully as it might be to your advantage in some way.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your replies. I will try to find out what I can about it, out of curiosity, but I honestly don't think it will fit into our plans.

Posts: 4016 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
IF and that is a large IF, being on the show gave you ** to get it done sooner and FREE or near that.. it would help! BUT they control so much of the 'image' of the show as was mentioned... it would not FEEL like your dream house anymore.

Does the crew that will assemble the house WANT to be photographed? Will the delays cost you more money because of delays and distractions?

Since this is not a turnover experience, but a loving project, I would NOT turn the project over.

NOW this puts another idea out there... WRITE a BOOK about it. I would buy it! I mean it is interesting enough that I think others would want to see it. It might actually make some money to recoup some costs... you never know!

You also could BLOG it and some of the local supply stores might take on your ads, you can solicit the ads to them and use their products. There are some bloggers out there getting free flooring, paint and other supplies.

In those other options I mentioned, YOU would be in charge of the information about you and your family and the house. And NOT revealing exactly where it is so that you don't get surprise visitors. (don't know about TV show and the trampling on your property from crews, etc.)

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All very good points, Mary Ruth, and along my line of thinking. I had already thought that something like a magazine article after it was finished would be more to my liking. I do plan to blog about (in fact have been blogging about the process all along), but have not pursued commercial blogging.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
we'd break the station's BEEP button during the editing phase.

I thought that was us! And only at each other! LOL.

I would not because it would be so discouraging. I already hate the sound of my voice and I'm sure my appearance would not be too hot. That is why. Has nothing to do with my work!

DH is a pretty careful worker (I say as he is giving that seamans chest yet another coat of shellac)

Nitalynn, I would love to see you! You are so pretty and it would make all your friends here at HGTV forums very proud!

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
If it were "This Old House" I would say sure, but if it is just another DIY reality, well, that's a different story.

Considering the number of meltdowns DH and I have had during simple projects, I can't imagine having someone document us putting a whole house together. Yikes - the BEEP button would be the only audio on that program Wink

Posts: 2955 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol, LOS and JC! Emily, you are so sweet!

posted Hide Post
Ordinarily I would say an adamant NO but since this would be a program about reconstructing a house, I might consider it considering how much money they were offering.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
For This old House... They have strict BUDGET requirements, and their own crews... since they do ALL by code and what they deem 'correct' building practices, they require a Large budget way over what you intend before they even consider their doing a show. I heard Norm mention one time they had asked the homeowner to have at least one hundred thousand more than the estimated cost, at least this was for a large farm house so it had to be gutted, and foundation rebuilt and leveled, and new addition so the project was large enough to warrant that extra. They want nothing to STALL the project so filming can continue on schedule.

IF they have not made a show like this one, they may feel it would add to their 'types' of job that their watchers would want to see! You NEVER KNOW!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless someone would be interested in a reality show where cleaning people come in, make the entire house spotless, repaint, and then put everything (ok, not the giveaway pile I'm collecting in my LR) back WHERE IT BELONGS,
I'd opt out. Admittedly, giving up control is NOT my strong point.

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Oh he11 NO!
I never watch reality shows and the invasion of privacy would just creep me out. All the drama I see on just the advertisements is a turn-off for me.

As Froo mentioned, we would cause the censors to work overtime.
Eek

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
While it would be an honor to be considered, I would personally decline. Too much invasion of privacy as zone9alady mentioned. I'm a private person anyway, and I could not handle the loss of privacy.

Mary Ruth gave some great ideas on alternatives to doing a reality tv show. This appears to be a labor of love and a passion for you and your husband. A reality tv show might turn it into a nightmare.

Posts: 8997 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
One time I was at an event at which I must have had too much bubbly because I agreed to make a public service thing for t.v. Couldn't remember that I had done this when they called to schedule, boy what a monotone!

But earlier on when I did a lot of volunteer work for our symphony I did one and it was quite o.k.

Vanity would be my concern!

One of my favorite shows is Rehab addict and most of what we know about Nicole is reading between the lines.

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LoS, I learned the hard way to run from the microphone. I was the local spokesperson for Food Stamp outreach years ago and I was called upon to make a statement about a new fairly contro*versial policy. Apparently I didn't say what the news wanted so they did a voice over that distorted the facts and all anyone saw of me were moving lips. I vowed then, never again.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LOL sms29s66
LOVE that! Happened to me too! I was picked out of the patrons at a NICE restaurant in Boston by Evening Magazine (a nightly local TV show about what was going on in the area). There was a 'Pick up artist' (picked up women easily) and they wanted me to sit with him at a table and let him cement the deal after picking me up!!!
I agreed.. I was a student from the nearby college off Boyston Street and my friend and I were eating there after a class. I did everything they said... UP TO WHEN I WAS TO TALK...

Then, TV camera on me... everyone looking at the table, all lights in place (no extra make up) and he started to talk, it was making me sick... the slick way he was talking as if he was a 'G*D! I mean I could hardly keep from slapping him! So, when it was my turn to talk.. I softly and nicely said 'so you have commitment issues'! and smiled... I said a few other things in a very low voice... softly to let him know I was NOT impressed! He was not classy nor polite...

My kids saw the show... It was aired that night... all the camera crew and the people in the restaurant applauded and LOVED my replies... BUT on TV... I looked good, but ALL was a VOICE OVER! They were saying how successful he was... and my kids (then grown teenagers) laughed and said they 'knew by the look on my face that I was ripping him apart'! LOL... but with a smile! LOVED that!

They should have aired it... cause that guy was continuing to pick up girls and hurt some feelings along the way.. I really wanted to deck him! Since I was an 'older woman' he was in his early twenties and I was in my thirties, I felt a need to protect my younger sisters out there!

I was picked a few more times around Boston by Evening Magazine, and those times they used my voice... I see what you mean, I hear a lot of people say they won't watch themselves on film nor listen to their voice! I already knew how I sounded by some tapes I had made in reading stories to my kids so they could play them back... I am not enamored with my own voice!