Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano Problems Sign In/Join 
posted
first- thanks for the earlier responses concerning the carpet transitions in my home. No, there are no transition strips- but it looks like that is just the way the flooring was done. I may just take a hammer to the doorway tack strips- if I ever find it! (still unpacking)

But here's the piano problem. The movers brought in the furniture on Monday- and everything went off without a hitch until we got to the piano.

This house has a small foyer/entrance when you come in. It is a small tiled area with a door to the garage and a staircase going up to the main level. It's a good, wide staircase, so I thought the piano could be brought up with some effort.

Nope.

The angle from the doorway to the stairs was just a few inches too tight, and the piano just a few inches too wide. It would not go up the stairs. Frown

Luckily, there is enough room in that foyer area for the piano right now. But it is not a permanent solution. When wet, cooler weather comes, it will not be good for the piano. Plus- actually playing the piano will echo and since this is a condo with other units in the same building, it could be a noise issue.

I could kick myself for not thinking this one through thoroughly. But at least it didn't end up in the garage.

So here are the options (in the order we will manage them)

1. Contact professional piano movers and see if they know any tricks that the regular furniture movers did not.

if that doesn't pan out....

2. Contact a contractor about taking out the railing (right now a solid wall railing) and putting in a removable railing. Can this even be done?

if that can't be done or is cost prohibitive....

3. Find a storage unit for the piano and buy a keyboard that is portable for my daughter to use. (of course, this option is not great, either- but like I said, the piano can't stay in the foyer)

Can anyone think of other options?

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh... and I can post a picture later if that is helpful

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
The angle from the doorway to the stairs was just a few inches too tight, and the piano just a few inches too wide. It would not go up the stairs.

Pictures will definitely help. Do you mean the piano is too wide from floor to top, or too wide from side to side (keyboard facing person) or too wide from front to back?

I'm assuming from the bottom to the top. But don't really know. Does it have casters that could be removed?

Posts: 12800 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Oh boy - been there done that - only for us it was the fridge. No problem getting it through the (4 ft wide) front door. Down the hall and through the kitchen door was another story...

I would rather have it in the foyer than storage simply because if/when you are ready to move it up, you won't have to move it from across town. Then call around and get a contractor in to remove the railing and then re-install it. Unless you are moving anytime soon, just put the regular one back instead of building a new one.

Is this the "odd shaped wall" that you posted recently? The stairs go down to the entry? Is that what's causing the issue?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3342 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would contact a piano mover- I have never had a regular mover move our piano.
Don't know what floor your condo is on, but in my neighborhood of very old houses, most of us have had furniture pieces come through 2nd floor windows that have been temporarily removed from frames.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would call the professionals, TQ. I've seen them partially dismantle pianos to traverse corners and stairs - and/or hoisting pianos into upper floors w/o removing railings.

Good Luck!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first mental image was of a baby grand piano and I was thinking there has to be a way to remove the legs. Then I thought "What a palatial condo to have a foyer large enough to accommodate a piano!" Then I did an "ice cream cone forehead" and realized you must be talking about an upright?????

Posts: 3462 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, an upright. Here is a photo of the piano in question:

posted Hide Post
Another angle:

As you can see- the railing is a solid wall. No temporary removal. It would have to be torn out and rebuilt.

If it were just a foot shorter, then the piano would have made it around the corner.

Our plan for this place was to be here for about three years (until DD graduates) and then move to our "dream property". So getting the piano up the stairs would not be a forever (or long term) thing. Which is something to consider in finding the solution.

posted Hide Post
I would contact a piano mover....they have the equipment and know-how to get pianos up stairs...they may have to tip it up to make the corner but they will have equipment to do that if they can't do it by muscle alone.

love life

Posts: 1538 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
TQ if you didn't have to get it around the corner would there be room if the piano was lifted from where it is to over the railing?

In other words is the stairwell wide enough for it at any position?

Posts: 12800 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stairwell issn't quite that wide- but several of my friends who are familiar with pianos assure me that there is a piano movers solution- so now I just need to find a good, local piano mover. I'm not going to sweat it. At least until I actually get it upstairs and have to reconfigure the room arrangement. Wink

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
ok..if you took off the hand rail on the the other side? and they might have to remove the front legs...

if you deside to leave it there? invest some egg crate bed pads to help mute the noise..and ask the neighbors what might be a good playing time...besides even if the piano was upstairs? i can tell you now unless the builder was a good one and added extra insulation. they'd hear you..

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sms29s66 -- My mental image was of a baby grand as well! Duh!

Martha

Posts: 6074 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IF a professional piano mover can't get it moved, I think I would tear out the wall to the stairway and replace with a railing and bannister that could just be bolted in and removed in the future IF you do move as planned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Love, Lu,

Posts: 1142 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Oh - for some reason I was picturing a banister or rail presenting the problem. Calling a pro is probably the only option to move it.

Out of curiosity, is that the only entry point for the unit? There isn't a porch or Juliet balcony window?

Posts: 3342 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the other hand that stairway may look nicer with a regular rail/banisters. It certainly would give it a more open look....and different from the other units.

Posts: 7115 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
re: entry

There is another entry- a balcony. But it is in the back and there is no street access.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
one question? did you ever consider flipping the piano on it's side? then scooting up the stairs wrapped in a blanket to protect the top?

if it were done slowly(the flipping part) would it jar or hurt the hammers inside?

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post