Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What Color Bedding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Color Bedding Sign In/Join 
posted
Help! I invested significant dollars in window treatments a few years back - want to "lighten up" the master but need to coordinate w/ this window fabric. Any thoughts on bedding, wall color?

Thank you so much!

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert on colors and there are some on this board that are really, really good at picking colors.

Do you like darker walls or lighter walls?

I think a cream might be nice for the walls. Then pick up the greens or the reddish color. I do like your print.

Are your floors wood or carpeted?

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Difficult to suggest without knowing...

Your room's furniture coloration.
The lighting conditions in this space (day and night) .
The feel you seek.

Pull any color from this inspiration fabric for walls and bedding. Keep in mind that as long as you are in the family of any of the colors in the print, you'll be fine. In other words, hue values can vary. Remember that your bed should remain a focal point. Know too that you can introduce another print scale or go solid and textural. If you introduce another print scale in a comforter, not all colors need to be present as found in the window fabric. Carry a fabric sample such as a valance or tie back with you as you shop for the bedding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18688 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Suggestions for lightening your space include...

Opt for lighter hue values such as the warm gold or cool green found in the window fabric.

Add cream for accents.

Allow maximum natural light to flow in and use sheers for a degree of privacy, if you don't already have them, when drapes are parted.

Use reflective surfaces (ceramics, metallic finishes, glass) and mirrors to bounce or double light.

Add a light or lightly painted piece of furniture if current furniture is dark.

Posts: 18688 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I'd paint the walls a light neutral from the fabric. Knock the hue back a few notches to compliment the fabric but not be matchy matchy necessarily. You can take the fabric to a paint store. They can assist in selecting a nice neutral tone in the golden hue that appears in the fabric. Go a bit lighter than the actual color in the fabric. Then on the bedding, I believe I'd go with a natural color bedding. Then I'd pull in colors like the green or paprika color in toss pillows, blanket folded and placed at the end of the bed, throws, artwork, etc. etc. If you lighten the walls quite a bit with those drapes, it will go a long way in achieving what you desire. Natural bedding will also help with that. But use color around the room found in the drapes! That will achieve a nice effect. Good luck.

Posts: 9010 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty fancy and rich looking fabric which makes me think you want an elegant traditional look to your room.
I'd probably go with cream walls and use the colors from the fabric in a chair, throw pillows and accessory items, as well as throw rugs.
One thing though, I would probably opt for a solid rather than patterned comforter and pick up the pattern of the drape in throw pillows instead.
Just my 2c.

Posts: 1677 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
That is very pretty fabric. Is it made into draperies or shades?

Bedding is harder than a wall color, as there are limited choices. My suggestion would be to take a swatch (if you have it) of the window fabric and first try to find the bedding. Then pick from that combined with the fabric to choose your wall color.

Posts: 12633 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
What is your bed frame?

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for great suggestions!

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty fabric. Do you have a straight on photo of it or the on-line source?

I would use a neutral colors such as a soft cream or ivory. Perhaps a matelasse would work nice with the print. Do you have extra fabric to use for shams or throw pillows? Then add in the darker accent colors for smaller items.

Do you have a rug in the room?

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
do neutral wall from the fabric and play with the bedding...you have so many pretty colors to chose from, why limit the bedding to just one?

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post