Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Looking for kitchen ideas, please! (pics)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for kitchen ideas, please! (pics) Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi! I need some ideas about what I can do with our kitchen to add depth and more character. We are planning to put in granite and a backsplash. What are some other ideas? Color, style, cabinet doors...etc.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
For depth, consider a dark color as pulled from the new granite around the light cabinets. The cabinets could use some jewelry and perhaps some glass doors.

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure new granite would help. You barely see the countertops from the family room. I've checked this post several times trying to think of some way to respond. My first inclination is EH (is that the way it's spelled?) Glass cabinets would brighten up the space but because it's so open to the FR and I see 2 little ones, unless you're going to be dedicated to your cabinets, please re-think.
I'd experiment with a little paint. Darker color on the backsplash and walls.
Before replacing the cabinet doors, what about some great hardware to break up the expanse of plain cabinets.
I'd really like to see the cabinets darker, the seem to blend into the floor.
I'm sure that there are other people on this board much more talented than me and since I'm really not an open floor plan person, I'm hardly an expert.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I would start with cabinet hardware. Could something be added to the back of the cabinet that faces the family room? It seems too dull for your pretty home.

Also, how about putting a rug under your table to give some color and pattern. It seems that the window treatments could use more color, too.

Posts: 3045 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that we are also planning on re-staining the hardwood floor to a darker shade so that will help with the "blending in" aspect. Also, I am thinking to lower the "top edge" of the island to open it up a bit more and put crown molding all around the kitchen and FR.

Here are 2 more pix of the exact same kitchen design and same cabinet colors. The cabinets have hardware on them, crown molding and a double oven.

I kind of want to put 2 glass cabinet doors on the skinnier 2 in the middle. Thoughts?

posted Hide Post
second pic...

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
They all sound like great ideas EXCEPT ( just my opinion) making the floors darker. Darker floors look lovely but are so much harder to keep clean.

I notice your little kiddies and would hesitate to have dark floors. Our floors are your current color and have been for 27 years. Our kids were 2 and 3 when we moved it. They were so easy to care for.

Contrast through fabric or paint would be much nicer.

Posts: 3045 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi & Welcome,

What is on the other side of the kitchen? Any wall space for decorating? Looks like the current space could use some color accents to add contrast. The darker floors will also help.

So the easiest way to make changes is with paint color. Because you have an open concept, consider choosing a color that you can use throughout. Find rugs or drapery fabric first and then work in the paint choices.

Right now the current color on the island doesn't add any interest to the room. It's just there. Is the window a bay window or three panel window? Hard to tell in the picture. But that is one area to bring in color with fabric and/or blinds.

Can you lower the curtain rod? It seems a titch too high. Picky for sure but it can make a difference. Do you have 8 or 9' ceilings in your space?

Consider changing out the light fixture to something that works with your decorating style. A light that is more stream lined and contemporary would also add interest to your space.

Most of all have fun with your decorating!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9352 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Additional pics helped. Paint will bring the most bang for the buck. A more dramatic, deeply saturated color will bring dimension and excitement to all that light wood cabinetry. Printed fabrics on windows will add more interest.

Carry the scheme into the adjoining open space paying attention to that area's lighting conditions and furnishings. Your goal is not to create a cave, but rather a cozy, inviting, unified space that you and family are comfortable in. Allow a new or existing print to act as inspiration and feel. In addition, do not overlook the importance and impact of lighting throughout.

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think some color and texture would do wonders. New curtains with a pattern or some pretty colored objects on counter tops, new cabinet hardware or some bar stools with upholstered seats?

Posts: 658 | Registered: Feb 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I'd paint out the cabinets in a favorite color to add some youthful energy into your lovely home. Don't be afraid to add bold color; you can always paint them later if you get tired of the colors. I'd also replace a few of the doors with glass front ones and paint the inside of the cabinet box a contrasting color. I might also pull out one of two of the cabinet boxes and replace them with open shelving.

If you go with a bold cabinet color, install white solid surface countertops for contrast.

I agree about the plain jane island wall. Paint it the same color as the cabinets or in a contrasting one.

Here are some ideas and inspiration for you: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks...binet-Color-Palettes

Posts: 5170 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
awesome! thank you for all the ideas!

btw, the first picture is our actual kitchen but it still has the previous owners' furniture.

here are a few more pics from the kitchen onto the FR. it is definitely an open concept layout...which I love. I feel like we can do so much with it! my hubby is a bit hesitant to do big changes because they are costly. the wood restain is a must but it won't be a dark wood, just darkER than what is currently there. lowering the island might help open it up even more. my ideal situation would have a double oven on the left of the micro, the micro would be replaced with a chimney hood to break up the monotone cabinets and there would be 2 glass doors somewhere in the mix. but most of those upgrades are too expensive for us at the moment.

posted Hide Post
again, keep in mind the furniture is not ours so it will look different.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Another thought if you are doing the counter top. Extend out the counter on the island at the same level as sink side.

You would have seating and a larger prep area.

The electrical plug on sink side can be re-done so you still have electric available. Here's a pic for you.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9352 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still believe that you need to address some of the other design issues before springing big bucks for new countertops. If you changed the countertops now it wouldn't perk up the area in the way I believe you're looking for (IMHO). Paint is cheap, so are window valances, etc.
Try some of these other ideas until you can get a real feel for the room.
And the darker floors, as much as I love the look, ouch...

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The floors will be maybe a shade or 2 darker than they currently are. Just like in the 3rd pic I posted (I know it's hard to see). I just simply don't like hardwood to be quite that light. Plus, the room is very bright...so it shouldn't hurt the lighting situation. The granite is also something we are set on because we like the look....currently the countertops are linoleum.

I'm like this:

textured eclectic great room / nicole helene designs
http://houzz.com/photos/76749

And LOVE this:

Kitchen Remodel - Nolan / Case Remodeling
http://houzz.com/photos/131784

Love the pop of color, the backsplash, black island, granite...etc. the floors are the perfect shade, too.

posted Hide Post
This weekend, the hubby and I had some major kitchen discussions...lol. Here's what I'm thinking:

Musts:

1. Granite for counter tops
2. Extend island at sink level
3. Back splash
4. New window treatment
5. A couple glass doors on cabinets
6. Hardware for cabinets
7. Crown molding in kitchen and around FR

Wish list:

1. Double oven
2. Chimney hood vent
3. Possibly reface the cabinets one day, although they are in great shape right now.

Thoughts?

I'm wondering....which cabinets would look best with the glass doors? The right ones or middle, skinny ones?

posted Hide Post
when designing what your kitchen would look like. know what you want and need, your personality. this will save more money and time. there are a lot of designs online where you can browse.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I love the floors that color!

I would say add cabinet hardware, Colorful accessories. Maybe an upholstered valance in a cool fabric, over the door, and drapes with more personality?

What about changing out the light fixture with a drumshade pendant that directs the light downward... Or something more unique there.

Also, I would totally do something to the side of the island facing the living room... Wood? I don't know... Painted sheetrock makes it look not like a piece of furniture and just like a half-wall, since you can't see over it at all.

If you're going to have stuff on the counters, make them colorful and fun, instead of a plain basket for catch alls, go to Homegoods or something to find something you like. It looks like you tied a bit of red into the living room? Do you want that in your kitchen?

Are you married to the table and chairs? Black and glass don't offer much of a chance for personality, but you could even throw a tablecloth on it, to make it more colorful.

And... How in the heck do you keep your house so clean with two little kids?! Ack, I have twins who are now six, and my house is constantly in a messy state. I clean, they undo the clean.

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
https://www.onekingslane.com/sales/22574

You seem like you might be more into modern/industrial style stuff?

https://www.onekingslane.com/product/22574/1387722

Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
More stuff...

Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post

Picture of daciab
posted Hide Post
Dasha, I wanted to welcome you and say "I think we have the same name!" Obviously spelled different, but I think they are probably pronounced the same. You must be really cool and unique. :-)

~DaciaB

UPDATED 06/20/11
http://user.midlands.net/dacia/

"Worms Eat My Garbage"

http://pinterest.com/daciabb/

Posts: 4895 | Location: zone 4 | Registered: Sep 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post