Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  ADDED PIC re: sidesplash...bathroom vanity and baseboard. PIC's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ADDED PIC re: sidesplash...bathroom vanity and baseboard. PIC's Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
How do I work around this issue with the vanity and baseboard. If I set the vanity on the wall with baseboard already on, the vanity will sit away from the wall...see gap.

I have the vanity set up in my room on a wall with baseboard so you can see what I'm talking about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Posts: 9815 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another picture. Any suggestions on how to work around this issue?

Posts: 9815 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless the baseboard is installed around the legs of the vanity....???

or don't do baseboard behind the vanity because you probably wont be able to see it anyways...I wouldn't be able to tell till the pedistal is out and I can set the new vanity up againt the wall. But that may be an option.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
The chair rail will have to be cut and removed just where the back legs align. To remove the entire baseboard along that wall or even the portion under the vanity would not be professional in appearance. This is not a rush job tho. At least the legs are straight vs curvy. This is one reason I opted not to select a vanity with legs, but it's certainly doable in your case.

Posts: 18796 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure. I have a solid vanity, mine isn't open like yours. So my baseboards don't go all around the wall like that.
Your handyman should know how do it. I think the vanity legs would just sit in front of the baseboards. . Your vanity is like a piece of furniture, so that's how I would think it would work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4816 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
The chair rail will have to be cut and removed just where the back legs align

I agree but Froo means baseboard. Usually Always a bathroom floor would have kind of a cove molding that would not interfere, with the installation of a base cabinet.

You do not want it to be set out in room a/c water getting between wall and back of vanity.

Posts: 13131 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband installed a very similar vanity style in the bathroom at my daughter's house- he removed the baseboard and shoe moulding behind each leg so it would fit against the wall.

Posts: 138 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Again, ditto what Froo says. Cute vanity too!

Posts: 3505 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would put the top on it before cutting out the baseboards. Our top had a slight lip, so it couldn't go all the way back either.

Posts: 131 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
whoops! Indeed, I meant baseboard. Been smelling too many tile work chemicals of late. :-p

Posts: 18796 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slicklydia got it right, the rest of us were concentrating on the cabinet. You need to see where you are since most likely the sink top will hang over the base cabinet. It may not make a difference if the sink butts up to the walls.

Posts: 1995 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The countertop will be flush to the back wall, but then there would be a gap between the vanity and back wall that you would see from the side (right side) since the left side will be in the corner...

I already took out the baseboard because it will need to be replace anyways. The baseboard on the wall next to the tub was warped from water from overslash. I will need to get a slash guard on the tub/shower wall.

I can always keep the pedistal of the vanity doesn't work. It's not a bad looking pedistal. I can decide between the new vanity and top or reinstall pedistal after the tiles done.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Always,

Is there an overhang on the counter top? Left side next to wall and right side?

Will the left side be flush against wall also?

I would most likely do the full continuous baseboard across and pull the vanity out an inch from back wall and left side wall.

Here are some other vanities that look similar.

http://www.potterybarn.com/sho...nities/?cm_type=lnav

Another question for you. Are you adding any wall tile? If so you can do the install so the wall tiles meet with the floor tiles and no baseboard needed at all. It's a snow ball project but one that could be done now while everything is apart and shouldn't be too expensive. Tile is easier to clean and protects the drywall from splashes.

Our walls are tiled up about 48 inches on the vanity and toilet wall. You do have to consider tile thickness though. We had to change out the toilet tank back to a thinner one so it would fit.

I had our tile installers actually remove the baseboard they had so thoughtfully cut and installed. I didn't want extra surfaces to clean.

Good luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9515 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to have tile up the walls. I know there are some tile pieces designed to use at the bottom like a "baseboard" on a wall, but would it look weird to have the wall tile meet the floor tile?

ok...so looking at the PB picture, there is gap between the vanity and the wall.

As of for the left side of the vanity/countertop I am not sure if it will be flush against the corner or not..I did buy the piece of marble for a side-splash but I realized the light switch and plug would be in the way...

posted Hide Post
In regards to wall tile meeting floor tile, in this pic this person is making a "baseboard" out of the floor tile.

I'm going to see what pictures I can find online of wall tile meeting floor tile with no type of transition and how it would look.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Always,

Not funny looking at all. Just a differtent type of install.

I will get a pic for you and post for you. I have a late meeting
tonight and won't be home. My walls are a full tile. They were 16 inch tiles so
3 tiles high. No tiles were cut for baseboard.

No baseboards to clean. Smile

posted Hide Post
Unless the vanity is much higher, I don't see where the piece for the side would be in the way.
The wall will be a mess without a side splash.
I'd move the outlet up a bit and I don't see the light switch it must be out further than the picture.

Posts: 1995 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I don't have a sidesplash on either sink area in either bathroom. And my wall is in perfect condition.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know Sophie because I might not be able to get the left side splash piece to fit.

This is without the countertop and you need to add a little more height with the floor tile installed so the light switch and outlet is going to be in the way. I know the feet can be lowered on the cabinet but that wont be enough. I might have to trim the legs of the vanity if I want to use the left splash piece.

posted Hide Post
You think it's gonna be too tight with this new vanity? It will go over just past the edge of the left side of the toilet paper holder..

Well I know it's going to be tight, but I don't know if it will be too tight where a large person would be uncomfortable. Like when you use a toilet in a motorhome, you feel like you are in a box...

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Regarding the tile baseboard (tho this isn't your main concern), I'm not a fan of it due to the grout wearing away over time. My option in my undergoing Reno is for a wooden, painted baseboard.

posted Hide Post
My first choice would be a wood baseboard. I am hoping with a splash-guard installed on the corner of the shower, it will keep the area right below the shower/tub dry so it doesn't warp again.

Here is a link to the Home depot tile with reviews and pictures consumers posted in the their review...Looks very pretty. I am really excited now.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MAR...3?N=3l8#.Ulb6ynbn_cc

oh here you go, it let me copy the picture.

posted Hide Post
another one.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Always, are you installing the faux wood tile on the floor yourself? The reason I asked is that I had a discussion about it with my tile guy yesterday. He said it is difficult to work with because it bends (?) adding that the sub floor has to be perfectly flat. I believed he installed this type of tile in a spa. Passing this on not to discourage you (it is beautiful), but to extend a word of caution. Tile guy thinks a real wood floor is a better choice. I. Know some bathrooms have hardwood floors in their bathrooms (often found in older homes).

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Always both of my bathrooms are small like yours. I just measured. From the side of my cabinet the top of the toilet bowl is only 6 1/2 inches. That's it. My toilet roll hangs on the side of my cabinet. I think you have plenty of room with this cabinet.
Let me know if u want me to take a picture for you.

posted Hide Post
Froo-No, not installing it myself. The guy who is going to do the tile work has used this same tile in another house so he has worked with it. There were a couple reviews that mention a few bowed tiles in the boxes, but I will have enough extra that he will be able to weed any bowed tiles out. I have a concrete slab that the tile will be going over.

Sophie-only if it's not an inconvenience to take pictures...I'll have to measure, but then I also have to take into consideration that I will have a different toilet too. I'll check the measurement of the toilet I'm considering (so far, the Kohler Cimarron)

But if worse comes to worse, I will keep the pedestal. We have pretty much gotten used to no countertop space in the sink area anyways.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Ok when I have a chance i will take some pics. In my master bathroom the top of toilet tank is even closer to the cabinets. It's only 3 inches. lol The top of toilet in the widest part measures 19, 20 inches. There is plenty of room, at least for us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Always,

Here are the promised pics for you. Wall tile straight to floor tiles. No issues with the grout lines where they meet. (excuse the yard stick as I was measuring)

There are guidelines for determining the space between toilet/walls or sink edges.

http://www.bhg.com/bathroom/re...requirements/?page=2

Good Luck!

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Another pic of the other bathroom showing the corner floor area where tiles meet. HTH!

pic

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
You can see here how close the toilet and cabinet are, 6". The other bathroom is even closer at 3". I can try to take some more pics later this afternoon.

my pictures

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting thread....I had not noticed the furniture style vanities would not be flush but seeing them in PB or other pics it doesn't jump out at me...think we are just used to the built in look personally with some wood trim to disguise any gap....but I feel from looking at all above the most important of course is that the backsplash piece of top is flush.

Beau's Rose thanks for sharing your pics! I want to do something very similar in my small 8 X 5 Main bath...taking out tub to have a shower pan but otherwise? Tile like yours with no trim piecing....I am using all 12X12 sandbox ivory colorblox tile but I have been googling up a storm to think on the curb for shower to floor...and I REALLY like and am inspired by yours....is that a solid piece crossing the top? Can you tell me how high you made yours and as I too am using a shower curtain in preference to a glass panel, realistically tell me how effective you feel the height is for keeping water contained when curtain is shut!
THANKS!!!!

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7481 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh thank you B-Rose and Sophie for the pictures..That is a neat sink B-Rose. I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

As for tile up the wall, as much I would love to do that, that would take too many days and I can't be without a bathroom that long.

Sophie-I thought that was a wall when you posted that picture in my other thread regarding toilet recommendations.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
oh thank you B-Rose and Sophie for the pictures..That is a neat sink B-Rose. I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

As for tile up the wall, as much I would love to do that, that would take too many days and I can't be without a bathroom that long.

Sophie-I thought that was a wall when you posted that picture in my other thread regarding toilet recommendations.

No wall. Left is the sink/cabinet. Right is the shower/bath combo. My master bathroom just has a shower in it. I will try to post some pics later this afternoon, when I get home from work.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Always,

You are welcome. I'm not sure if that sink set up is still available. When we re-did our baths this was my solution to NOT having messy vanity cabinets...remove them completely. Plus we are tall and 30 or 32 inch vanities were low. These sinks are wall mounted at 37 inches high. The second piece (ceramic shroud) mounts over the hose pipes to hide them. There is a linen closet right outside one bath. We have a medicine cabinet mounted behind toilet area for our master bath. Honestly I would do wall mount toilets if I could. No dusty toilet ledges to clean around on the floor. Smile

Here is similar sink from AS.

http://www.build.com/toto-lt24...overflow-and/p181330

Green Alice,

I don't think Always will mind my response here. I don't want to hijack her thread. We removed the tub from kids bath and made the shower. So a shower pan was installed and drains changed. The other pic is the master bath but similar to other shower. That piece is a type of marble or travertine sill. I can't remember now. It has been "filled" so the pits are smooth. It came from our tile store. Outside was tiled with floor tile. Inside lip was tiled using the shower floor tile 4x4 ceramic. Both bathrooms were 5x8 also. We did add 3'onto the master. HTH!

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Thanks Beau will PM any other questions....but my post was 1/2 on topic! Big Grin No intentions to hijack...just got excited to see something that said "that's IT" to me! Thanks for sharing! Now back to the question of gaps....

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Always, here are some pics for you of master bath and guest bath. Shows the space between cabinet and toilets in both bathrooms. Also shows that I have no sidesplash. Here ya go...

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
same bathroom

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Guest bath

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
another

my pictures

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Some more pics for you Always!

These show some of the wall and floor tiles that adjoin each other.

http://www.hgtv.com/bathrooms/.../pictures/index.html

Here is the guideline for toilets. Check guideline 5 which mentions the amount of room needed.

http://www.bhg.com/bathroom/re...requirements/?page=2

Can you tell we are excited about your bath re-do? Good luck on all the decisions!

posted Hide Post
Just HAVE to ask. lilsophie, do you have 2 teenage children and 1 bathroom? I still think no side splash would leave the wall a mess.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaysmom49:
Just HAVE to ask. lilsophie, do you have 2 teenage children and 1 bathroom? I still think no side splash would leave the wall a mess.

I did have 2 teenage boys, but they don't live at home anymore.
Always has that pedestal sink, and it doesn't have a sidespash to it. So I think she will be fine.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the help everyone. No worries about hijacking the thread...I don't mind across discussions, doesn't bother me any.

Sophie-your bathrooms are very pretty...I like that mirror in the picture where it shows the bottom right hand side of the mirror. I've been looking at google picture of small bathroom and see lots of vanities and toilet pretty close together so that makes me feel better :-)

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I love that mirror too, Always. I bought it World Market.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Noticed when flipping through decor mags that vanities with legs were mostly flush against wall with the cutting into/well when it was built it was planned...to fit into the baseboard and trim....so it's a preference, because I assume the peeps pic's we see where it is freestanding was result of a switch out update. Whatever is pleasing to YOUR eyes!! Big Grin

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Always, when will your bathroom remodel begin??
Can't wait to see the progress pictures Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
Always, when will your bathroom remodel begin??
Can't wait to see the progress pictures Smile

oh Sophie..you know I can be a slower mover sometimes.

I still need the guy who's going to do the tile come by so we can make a plan of how to go about getting the tile and toilet back in within 2 days at the most.

Once he lets me know how much tile I should buy, I can get the tile. Purchase the toilet.

I am sure I have to get more of the adhesive off the concrete from the previous tile and original vinyl.

If it is prolonged till after the new year, at least I have place to stay if it's going to take more than 1 night without a toilet. I have a neice that travels a few times a year for work and she'll be gone in February.

posted Hide Post
Small update: I have the guy who is going to do the tile come over today after work so we can make a plan!! I still haven't decided between the two colors of tile though.

I should probably write down the things I want to go over so I don't forget.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Did he come over yesterday, hope so. Do you have a plan now Always?

posted Hide Post
Yes thanks for asking Sophie... He is ready to go when I give him the green light!! We also discussed dividing the master bedroom... I posted on my shared master bedroom thread what we discussed on that issue.