Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds - Last One of the Year (12-30-13)...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds - Last One of the Year (12-30-13)... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
…so let's make it a GREAT one Smile Hard
to believe but 2013 is almost behind us. We've seen lots of wonderful treasures throughout the year. I've even learned a few things about items I never even knew existed.

Let me say thank you to everyone for sharing or even just participating in the thread. I enjoy starting it every week.

Please share your pictures or just tell us about any great goodies that have come your way. Items may be old or new and we always love to hear prices.

Happy New Year everyone! Now let's get this party started!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skyler,

Posts: 10511 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Been looking for a cart that was not Colonial wood, and more 'Florida' look.. in other words this Rattan is working out just fine. I saw it for $40, ad said 'includes bottles [stuff shown on the photo]. The tray on the top part is removable and has a great buffed edged glass shelf (as does below). It is in great shape too.

So, I went to the house, the cart was darling, loved it, could have bought so much MORE stuff, they were moving in 2 days to a city further N in Florida. They were newlyweds (over 70 yrs old) and a DARLING, active, bright couple! WE hit it off, and they loaded up my car with a large poster in custom frame, crystal decanters, crystal ice bucket, an easel, and garden stuff! I told them thank you over and over but they kept loading my car with FREE stuff! LOL WE had a great time, talked a lot, hugged and I wished them well...

What a GREAT MORNING that was! So, here is the CL photo of the cart (showing the decanters and ice bucket on top).

I will use the cart near the day bed in the guest room where my sister stays when she comes down (stays a few weeks) and she can get tea and home baked goods delivered to her with 'room service'! Smile And her other snacks, books and other stuff she brings down can be kept on the bottom part... she 'makes herself at home'! Smile

A GREAT LAST CL find of 2013 for me! Hope you all have a last few days of the year! We are off to my son and daughter's house on the 1st and will stay a few days having our 'Holiday' time!

And the day before, we drove to another city to get some draw glides and hinges from a guy who closed up a shop. So, we got them for like 1/4 the cost (new, never used), DH was very happy for that find!!! Smile

Thank you so much Skyler for a another GREAT year with MMF's! You are such a dear to do this for all of us! Looking forward to the year ahead and that 2014 will bring wonderful experiences & good fortune for all of us!
(hint... we are going to start looking at puppies!)

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

CL cart

Posts: 9767 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
What a nice story Mary Ruth! Love the cart and all the goodies too! I have had a bit of a new obsession with crystal decanters and ice buckets lately and they are pricey to say the least.

Posts: 901 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
my2gals,
I know about pricey! My son has started collecting them (leaves them empty) and I was going to give him these, DH said he wanted them for us... So, somehow I have to get them to my son's house... so I do NOT have to wash or dust these! LOL These are crystal and heavy... just took a photo of them (plain ice bucket in back)..

They are dusty! (dust was also free! Smile )

decanters

Posts: 9767 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great find Mary Ruth. I'd just keep them awhile, then transfer to ds. Love the cart.

With the holidays, kept thinking I had better go check MMF, but it wasn't Monday. Doesn't take much to confuse me.

Skyler, thank you for keeping these threads going. Just love it so much, can hardly wait to check on Mondays. Also check to see any new additions.

I too, have learned a lot on here.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to the threads.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6309 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
My cute little vase I found when I was visiting my children in Oregon. I just love it and the soft blue color. It's so cute Smile

my pictures

Posts: 4752 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Love the cart Mary Ruth, very nice. I would love to find something like that. And the decanters are very cool as well.
I wish I had a bigger house, because I love to decorate and my home is small. I just need to decorate other people homes...lol...now that's an idea. Smile

Posts: 4752 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Wow Mary Ruth! Gorgeous!!!

Cute little vase Lilsophie. Love the color and unique shape. Smile

Posts: 901 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I want to say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" to all. My internet service has been up and down (mostly down) since Christmas Eve so I wasn't able to post Frown. MR that cart is great and I'm sure it will fit into your house wonderfully. Are you the one (my CRS is getting worse) with the rattan bar stools? If so, I'd find a place in the house to use this and then wheel it in the guest room when needed.
Back to MMF. A few months ago I posted about my Heinrichsen nativity scene. I put it under the tree and used the little top of an old birdhouse for a creche. Saturday, when I was in the SA, I found one that seems to work perfectly. The little putz house with the blown out window was also there sitting in the trash (yes, I will work on the windows after the holidays). TRASH! Turns out that the manager of the SA wanted all little Christmas stuff thrown out! This is why I never donate holiday stuff AFTER the holiday.
So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Here's to another year of friendship and MMFs! Thanks, Skylar!

Posts: 1972 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth - you scored! I LOVE those decanters (and the cart ain't bad either...). lilsophie, that's a darling little vase, and jaysmom, Wow! I can't believe they throw stuff out like that! You did good!

As for me, DH and I took a drive and I picked up a few things at a flea market, and then when we got home I visited a discount store and a Goodwill.

At the flea market, I got the bird print (which I've been collecting, and will eventually re-mat and maybe put in a smaller frame) for $10.95; an enameled brass blue & white ginger jar for $3.50; and a little pair of blue & white German spice jars for $7.00.

At the discount store (on the other side of town, and a cultural experience in another dimension altogether), I got the candle I went for (as I had gotten some similar ones there before) for $1.99, and five rolls of wrapping paper for 25 cents each!

At Goodwill, I got the two little silver trays - nothing special, made in China, but I think they're cute and they are another thing I'm collecting. The larger one was $1.99 and the smaller was $.99.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Strings,
Isn't Skyler just wonderful for keeping this thread going for us? Smile My Favorite thread! And she makes Mondays actually a day to look forward to!

lilsophie,
I hear you! My house here in Florida is smaller than our Virginia house, so not much room for extras! We have good space, but not much decorating space for accessories. Makes a huge difference when you like to have some 'fun' arranging Vignettes!

I will take photos when I have the cart set up in the house and snacks on it! Smile

my2gals,
Thanks, I think it will be a fun piece to play with! DH is coveting the decanters, so we will hold onto them a bit... see if I can fit them in somewhere! OR at least ONE. Thing is... I had a few and just gave them to my son, then these came along... LOL... some went out then more came in! Smile

jaysmom,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! Smile
Yes, I did get the Rattan bar stools on CL posted on a previous MMF's (previous MMF's post..CL photo attached). That is my thought too... I will be able to move it around.

You did good on your find!

I had no idea that Christmas stuff would be thrown out, after the Holidays, but makes sense since they would have to store it all year. Too bad, if they put a sign up 'FREE' and a table outside... it would all be gone FAST...

Nitalynn,
Thanks! I know considering the Decanters are crystal... and the ice bucket is nice smooth new glass...

GREAT find on the wrapping paper and candle! LOVE the German spice jars!
I have some silver trays and LOVE them... I got a collection of round ones I use for chargers! I am ordering some 'silver cloth' and will sew envelopes to keep mine in since they will be stored most of the year, being near the Ocean makes the sulfur in the air really tarnish silver fast.

_

bar stools CL

posted Hide Post
Wow, I can't believe that SA would throw out the Christmas things. I like to visit the thrift store at a local church here. They have a room just with holiday items year round. In July they have a Christmas in July sale all things 50% off. No thrift finds for me, I plan on going thrifting soon.

Posts: 303 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Thank you sweet members, I'm happy to start it.

Terrific finds everyone, thank you so much for sharing Smile

Posts: 10511 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, what a heart warming story to start off the new year! Plus what a score!

That is interesting Linda about the SA throwing things away! Nitalynn you also scored!

BTW DD tells me today is the best day to shop charity stores as people make big donations (a/c tax reduction) and there are bargains galore!

Skyler I want to add my thanks to those of others. We all enjoy this thread each week. It is kind of like an adult security blanket!

Posts: 12792 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more - I got this vintage print of "Grace" at Goodwill for $8.99. I see them occasionally, but not that often, and never that cheap. I saw it yesterday and hesitated, but looked it up on eBay last night and saw they were selling for $45-$50 "buy it now" prices, so decided it was a good investment! I went back this morning and it was still there. Even if I don't use it, I plan to have a resale business someday.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn, this print has hung in my parent's house all the years I was growing up. I always loved it, so when I got married my mom hired an artist to paint an oil for me. It now hangs in my dining room and I still love it!

It's funny, because the artist had to change it slightly to make sure he wasn't plagiarizing it.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
thanks Lady of shallot! Smile

Nitalynn,
Very nice print! Good luck with your plans for a resale business!!! With your eye for things... you should do well! Smile

Skyler,
What a nice thing for your mom to do for you! Smile

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
A Very Happy New Year to all! Everyone on this board is as much a "Monday Morning Find" as the delightful treasures we share Smile

See you in 2014!

Posts: 3341 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One more - I got this vintage print of "Grace" at Goodwill for $8.99

Except for the ear and the fact that DH wouldn't do that, this looks surprisingly like him. Mustache & beard a little long, but pretty close!

Don't remember ever seeing this painting before!

posted Hide Post
Skyler - how cool! I bet it's awesome in oil; what a nice gift.

M.R. - thanks! That business is a long-term dream, way down the road, after we finish the house project (IF we ever do) Wink

Emily - it's a pretty common print. I researched it online a little bit, and it was painted from a photograph taken in 1918, by the photographer's daughter, but I'm not sure exactly when she painted it, or when it was made into a print and widely circulated. Apparently it hung in a lot of dining rooms through, oh, maybe 40s to 70s? I figure one doesn't have to be religious to appreciate being grateful for their daily bread and other blessings. He can be considered to be "meditating" if you wish.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I figure one doesn't have to be religious to appreciate being grateful for their daily bread and other blessings

Oh, you are definitely right. We often talk about our blessings which are numerous. I had never seen this picture (its amazing how old you can get and still not have been aware of some things.) Even DH thought it looked like him. The nose esp, head shape etc. Dh is bald but white haired and bearded.