Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  OT...unless crafting jewelry qualifies as "decor"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT...unless crafting jewelry qualifies as "decor" Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
Encouraged by Mary Ruth on another thread, I thought I would see if there are closet jewelry crafters on this board. It is an art after all and I found the general craft board is pretty dried up. Sad to say. Anyway, any fellow jewelry crafters please share pics here.

Posts: 18727 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
For those who may have missed this post, it is a statement necklace I fashioned from a belt. I frequently use belt components for creating one to four one of a kind necklaces. My pieces are up cycled and given freely to clients at an organization for which I volunteer. They can also be purchased by staff, co volunteers and visiting case mgrs. All proceeds benefit the org.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18727 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I name my pieces. This is an example of utilizing misc. beads.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Another example of utilizing misc. beads.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ok Mary Ruth and others...please share your works of art. Smile

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Oh my those are pretty! I'm still in the simple pendant on a chain phase. Have a large turquoise heart I need to turn into a charm but haven't found the right cord. Gift for my teenage niece.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your eyesight must be perfect to do all that fine work. Am very impressed with your talent and creativeness Froo Froo.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Mama spoon, guess my ************ glasses still work (and also my fingers). Smile

This is one I made for clients this summer. Note the mini silver shells. I often make coordinating earrings.

Still waiting to see others...

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
I'm not a jewelry crafter but my daughter is. She has made some very pretty things. She does bead weaving. She makes anything from necklaces, bracelets, hair pins, pins, to even bead weaving around Christmas ornaments or eggs for Easter. She has a fb page set up with some of her jewelry on it. I'm having trouble posting pics over here but her fb page is Radiant Ash Handmade Jewelry if anyone wants to see some of her pics.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5717 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Mama spoon, guess my ************ glasses still work (and also my fingers). Smile

OH MY - those must be some spectacular glasses that you own - it was edited Wink

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Add the word pre-scrip-tion to the list that includes Lou-is-iana. Very strange list of trig-
her words.

posted Hide Post
LOL - ** didn't even occur to me! Couldn't cipher that one!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:
LOL - ** didn't even occur to me! Couldn't cipher that one!

Oh for Pete's sake! It won't allow R*x either.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I LOVE this thread! I am on my Kindle and can't post that much so will come back tomorrow to post a few pics and ideas I have to make some beachy jewelry. Thanks so much Froo for doing this thread! I LOVE your work!!! Especially that everything necklace!

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9805 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Froo - I can't believe you've kept this talent hidden from us! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7532 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Froo, I can see why crafters are all going to Pinterest, the photos are so much better! And the links (when they work) are so handy to just click and go see what the photo is all about. I LOVE it, I can glean ideas in a short time even on my Kindle!

I mentioned your 'everything' necklace you posted here, is that one for sale? I am interested, also if you make anything like this again, I would love to see it!

I do not have photos of my 'stash' yet, but am purchasing containers as I go to hold what I find, I am saving in categories, such as beach theme and colors, pearls, etc.. It sure is FUN to gather and the pieces are smaller than 'furnishings' which I was collecting for our house for the past couple of years. DH got his fill of going to CL sellers to pick up stuff for me... that is all finished now... MMF's for this coming Monday will show the online fabric I started collecting which has also been fun, since it arrives right to my door!

Posts: 9805 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, thanks for your compliments and I am glad to see you finally post. I look forward to seeing your beachy necklaces.

Regarding my Everthing Necklace, I can not sell anything via these boards...as you know. I sell them only to interested parties at the non profit org. To which I volunteer and all profits go back into the org.. Clients receive them at no cost to compliment the outfits we select for their particular jobs, body types, coloration and age.

I have made pieces with materials I purchase for gifts to family, friends or myself. I had a home show once in which I sold jewelry and a variety of my then current craft interests. It was open by invitation only. I did make some decent money, but I overdid the event because I baked a variety of cookies from scratch as well as offered hot cider,etc. The Martha in me took over and I was exhausted.

It is not difficult to create your version of the Everything Necklace tho it takes time and attention to scale mixing textures, shapes, sheens and colors.

Please post your pics ASAP so it doesn't look like I started this thread purely to toot my horn. Wink I sure hope there are others visiting this board who fashion jewelry and will share their creations BUT not in an attempt to sell here tho.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks, KG. I did not share my creations for two reasons...I only recently was given an easy site in which I could resize my pics. The source of that tech help is a funny story that spanned continents, I might add. Also, this is an OT for this board which gave me pause but I found the General Craft board to be lacking in participation and Mary Ruth encouraged me to begin this thread.

Truth be known, I have been up cycling or fashioning jewelry for a number of years and typically churn out 8-12 necklaces or sets per week. My house pays the price tho and so does hours of sitting. Frown Still, it gives me much joy to express creativity in this manner especially since it brings joy to the faces of struggling women of all ages and backgrounds. The clients we serve are re-entering the workforce and I have been with this org. for over a dozen years.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Love, love, love your things Froo Froo! The Everything Necklace is fantastic! Very intrigued by that one especially!

Posts: 7246 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Froo, just want to share how this thread has had an impact on me. DD is visiting (accepted students visit at her and her DH's alma mater) and she wanted to go to the rummage sale at the nearby church.

I found myself looking through the boxes of belts which I normally would not have looked at, at all! They had nothing but I did get DGD a darling formal dress for 2.50! (DD tried to discourage me, but I can always pass it on if DGD does not like it!)

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks Froo, for explaining, and I am also happy to view your photos, I thought the sale of the item might be open as I would gladly pay all cost to ship and DONATE to the cause. So, I understand your criteria for making the jewelry!
Thank you so much for explaining.

And DESIGN and CREATIVITY are related, in that we express ourselves through what we touch, retouch and create. I really have enjoyed viewing your creations! And if ever one similar (meaning lots of 'old charm bracelet style') becomes available for sale, please PM me about it!

I am encouraged & motivated by the work you do, thanks again for sharing!

A photo of what I found at our local GW store nearby, (all for a couple of dollars) these will be taken apart for creating other pieces, the round parts are made of shell material, and the faux turquoise is plastic, but something my neighbor likes (so she get's some of those). And the chain and other parts become part of bracelets, and the smaller blue into delicate earrings.. I have a few boxes of stuff, and can't wait till the armoire I got on CL is fitted with pull out trays to hold all the chandelier parts, and extras I have stashed here and there. Will be nice to get them all in one place and start 'mood boards'.

The bamboo cutting board was also from that same day of GW finds, it is 6" X 8" for scale idea of pieces.

_

jewelry

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I got some faux pearls to string for a Christmas garland, I bought them in a quality bead store in Virginia. Then I learned to string pearls using a stringing tool. I then bought the string and started to knot between (with a nice blue silk thread) and got the aqua or turquoise fresh water pearls to string for a necklace.

My left hand worked less and less, till it quit about 5 months ago...still residuals from my infamous fall, so after 3rd surgery on that hand...therapy... recovery, my hand is WORKING great! So, I chose this hobby to have FUN and get some finer motor skills back in my hand. I am improving fast and am already cooking and baking up a storm... Getting back to sewing and crafting.

Every time I browse a shop with jewelry findings I pick up what findings I get on sale, the photo shows an example of what I got for 75% off. It is FUN to add to a stash!

So, you can see how encouraged and excited I am about ANY craft I wanted to try.. and now can! Don't know how far I will get with it, but I will have FUN playing with it. My neighbor also does beading so we plan on doing some projects together.

When I can get to the suitcase full of my old parts and 'stuff' I can post more, tried to get to it today... no luck... (I can't lift or move anything, so hard for me to get to stuff...) frustrating at times, but once organized, it will be FUN for me!

_

jewelry pearls

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thank you Cocok.

It is fun to create these charm bracelet looks and a great way to utilize stray beads and findings.

Mary Ruth, you have the beginnings of some summer fun with your bargain finds. If you have any further questions about any of my pieces you can always PM me.

This is one I worked on yesterday. Since turqouise and lime green are summery colors, I felt this one might fly off my organization's display much like the black and white necklaces did since that scheme is on trend too.

A hint to my fellow jewelry crafters...visit an upscale costume jewelry dept. to view the latest looks in jewelry. I don't suggest that you copy anything to the letter tho as these field trips are purely inspirational resources.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
How FUN those colors are! My neighbor and I are collecting pattern ideas for beach look as well as more relaxed fitting 'hang out' clothing. We live in flip flops that we can easily shed, and it is nice to have a small wrap for the shoulders and neck for the evenings... see we have been busy! We go out to eat together too, so this would be a FUN way to dress up quickly...

We have been scouring the thrift stores for sweaters and lacy items we can alter to put together for these outfits.. I am also getting a dress form for fitting the pieces.
I have been baking for tea parties and 'hang out' sessions for some of the neighborhood gals and I and it has been so much fun! Each week we pick something to celebrate. I have baked special cupcakes and lots of scones, quiche, we gather special treats and make surprises. I am amazed at how much we laugh and just enjoy each other.

So, the jewelry idea came to me as for making special pieces to go with certain shirts, outfits, etc. As we are also dress up a bit for some occasions when people are visiting. We nicknamed our neighborhood 'the village'! LOL We live on a Circle, so no pass through traffic and we can easily walk over to someone's driveway when they come outside for a bit...
I have also looked for comfy loose clothing styles on Pinterest, here is one example: (using beachy colors and soft cottons)
One lady I got ideas from on Pinterest calls her board 'clothing for Jewelry'

outfit 1

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
this leather strap and pearls idea is my first ones I want to attempt. There are all sorts of ways to combine leather cord with different sized natural shaped pearls. I don't have enough supplies to start one yet, but am close!

Forgot to mention: thanks for the idea about visiting an upscale shop, we have been viewing items in our artist district here, so much fun to go through the higher priced antique shops, and we recently had a beading and gem show! I was so tempted to bring home so MUCH! I kept the spending in check, but the ideas were great... since we are making these items for ourselves, it is easy to just pick our favorite colors and style. Easy living and easy to care for clothing and FUN jewelry! My friend wants to venture into hats someday... small hair pieces or visor type additions...

WE got a tumbler for sea glass... and I have a Dremel tool with all sorts of parts DH keeps buying me... I have my own tool box full of files and tools.

And we have a lot of doilies I saved, so we figure we are close to getting to making our first outfit! Then it will be styling for each of the 4 of us to start...
_

leather and pearls

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Oh...love the lavender lace layer!

Gosh...our responses overlapped. That is a cool necklace. I have one I bought some time ago that is multi strands of gray sheer ribbon. Faux pearls are attached throughout allowing spaces between each pearl. Similar in style. Btw, speaking of leather...that belt I mentioned earlier that I turned four discs into necklaces had a brown soft leather band. I cut it into strips. So far I slip tied each strand onto a thick silver chain. I plan to search for shinny silver beads to add to the fringe.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
FUN! I know you have a Pinterest board, Here is mine http://www.pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

I have a few boards on there for jewelry and clothing Ideas, I can send you an invite to a few of them.

Love your ideas! Thanks so much for sharing, you really got me motivated to set up my sewing/craft room... with 2 guest rooms and one not being used as much, I can reclaim it for ME!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
No...I do not have a Pinterest board, but I will visit yours when I get a moment.

I had a craft studio, but my DH took over the room after a few years. Miss it. My family room is where I craft now. You are going to LOVE your creative space.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I bumped a thread we did here a while back on Pinterest with some of the member's Pinterest links:

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...532/m/3103931108/p/1

Do a Pinterest search for Jewelry, and what type, also vintage, etc. That will give you some browsing ideas! Have FUN!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
a link directly to my Jewelry inspiration boards:

Jewelry Inspiration board:
http://www.pinterest.com/mary_...piration-admiration/

Jewelry Beading Inspiration board:
http://www.pinterest.com/mary_...beading-inspiration/

Jewelry using Resin Inspiration board:
http://www.pinterest.com/mary_...y-craft-using-resin/

Jewelry using enamel work (new board)
http://www.pinterest.com/mary_...ry-craft-for-enamel/

Jewelry using soldering techniques (new board)
http://www.pinterest.com/mary_...lry-craft-soldering/

DH wants to help me with the last two IF I do anything with a torch... my neighbor's DH also got into beading to help his wife, my friend. But we have not got that far yet! LOL

Please, if you see any pins (anywhere from 1 to 100..or so) just feel free to PIN away, I got them for free, I don't mind sharing.. or passing on the ideas out there Smile

I do have a Private Pinterest board with jewelry ideas geared for my current taste, and it is not visible. (only by invite)...

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Good source for parts for jewelry making:Fire Mountain Gems:
http://www.firemountaingems.co...14&WT.mc_id=CW140426

Even if you do not purchase anything, worth viewing, at least this is HOW I LEARNED what some parts are called! Smile

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links, Mary Ruth. I am enjoying them.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I was out looking at patterns today, didn't find anything I could use, now for internet sources...
I may have to make my own patterns!

Froo, I am glad you like the links!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I reworked this necklace today. It was disconnected and a single strand of mixed beads. I turned it into a double strand, added the mini shell discs, the larger central shell disk and glued on silver filigree to the focal shell.

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
My daughter has ordered from Fire Mountain Gems a few times. They have sales every so often and you can get some good deals.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5717 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Froo, What a beautiful 're-work! Pretty colors too!
Lisa Ann, I get email updates from them!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary Ruth.

Sharing today's creation. Pure simplicity...

posted Hide Post
OMG, I love today's piece!! Are all the pieces the same size or are they graduated. Still marvel at the patience, steady hands and good eyesight you and others have that craft jewelry.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
They are the same size which made it easier and quicker to complete. They are black bugle beads strung on pins and hooked onto the chain. Thank you for the compliments. This may be a keeper too...at least for a while. Wink

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I fell upon my Rhinestone stash. The bright red is left-over pieces of red velvet the pieces were once attached to as a Christmas decoration I found at a thrift store in the shape of a triangle (for an Xmas tree) on velvet and framed. I dismantled it and plan on creating something (again for Christmas). a few pieces are turned over, but you get the idea... (I have a zip lock bag with lots more small parts too.. I love the new Swarovski elements they sell now, but the vintage look has such charm.
All but what is on the black cards are vintage...

Froo, that necklace is nice (last one posted with bugle beads. I think that would dress up any outfit! GREAT WORK!!!
_

Rhinestones

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Bling it on! And you did. Fun pieces especially to incorporate into a holiday project. I can envision lots of possibilities.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
my latest treasure hunt find:
Ocean colors... my favorite! All on sale at JoAnn's, went for fabric, and also found beads! All 50% off...

the larger square pieces on top are actually a thrift store find, a Vintage metal bracelet with Enamel on it.. LOVE green.. so I will restring the bracelet to be more sturdy.
_

beads...

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Yummy colors and at a great price to boot.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
This is ONE of the plans I have for some of that 'Bling' Vintage Rhinestone pieces! I am on the lookout for the right blue velvet to make a couple of these for my faux fireplace mantel (we have not installed yet...)

_

xmas stocking bling