Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  could my husband be right?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

could my husband be right? Sign In/Join 
posted
I am thinking about putting an engineered hardwood floor in the guest bedroom. The one I picked out turns out to be almost the exact color of the poster bed and 2 nitestands and armoire in there. the color is called French Roast- a darkish wood color. My husband said that there would be no contrast. I am planning on putting a very light or white area rug down but will probably only be under the bed. The walls are light blue and the drapes are white. Could he be right???? and its going to look bad?

Posts: 81 | Registered: Nov 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
You're both right. Without an area rug and light drapes and those pretty blue walls, the dark floors would not contrast with the furniture color.

Posts: 5169 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
It won't look "bad" but will require the light rug and other items that contrast to prevent boring. IMO it's not necessary that *everything* contrast. In fact low contrast can be calming.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12613 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of flooring do you have in the hallway leading into the bedroom? What kind of flooring do you have in the rest of the bedrooms and house? I think that is the most important thing.

Posts: 1129 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
The light blue walls will provide contrast because they back the furniture. The white rug and drapes will also provide contrast. What your DH is concerned about is the similar, dark coloration of furniture and flooring and generally I agree that there ideally should be a noticeable variance in furniture and flooring.

BTW, I don't feel the coloration of flooring in your public spaces should necessarily be carried into private spaces such as your bedroom.

When you shop for an area rug, be sure it is large enough and not predominately concealed by the bed or else it will defeat it's purpose.

Posts: 18455 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
HGTV.com HGTV Message Boards Decorating General Decorating could my husband be right?

Absolutely agree with Froo.
I see no problem whatsoever with your plan
AS LONG AS you make sure that the area rug under the bed extends far enough to make sense.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a personal preference thing...I have lots of different wood tones in my house (and while stained trim is not my dream house look, it is what it is in this house...), but when I re-did my master a few years ago, I purposely stained the furniture to match the floor and trim. Here are two pics to follow.

Posts: 4027 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two

Posts: 4027 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you for all the comments and suggestions. I am going to go for it. I will keep size in mind when I purchase the area rug. The rest of the house is marble floors except for tile in the bathrooms. I am just not a fan of carpeting. thanks again.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Nov 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i'd probably go for a rug where your fist step out of bed, is something soft not hard or cold..unless you're in so ca or fla, lol...

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post