Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unconventional Sign In/Join 
posted
In a perfect world everything would be exactly the way you want it, which I'm sure is everyones point of view that posts here. Unless we (hubby and I) build our home from the ground up, which isn't happening, I understand (and have accepted) the fact that I have to work with what we've been blessed with. So, I'm wanting to know that if you find something works in your decor lifestyle that might be considered unconventional, do you do it anyways? I think I've read enough posts from most of you to know what the majority of the answers will be Smile Thanks

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
DEFINITELY! Smile I have always practiced and encouraged others to evoke their personalities in their homes rather than giving in to what the industry, their extended family or friends dictate you should do. Also, unexpected elements can make a memorable space. Mixing of textures, prints and colors and furniture pieces, creative arranging of furniture, a found, heirloom or handcrafted treasure that makes a wow statement and which speaks about you and a space that reflects the occupants passions, lifestyle and travels is a great way to personalize and make the space and your home uniquely yours.

I find the conventional dull and predictable. Some even define this approach as lazy. Though I would never poo poo or disrespect someone who practices the conventional approach to decorating, it is not my preference nor one I promote for the reasons mentioned.

Posts: 18654 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I actually seek the unconventional as have never wanted a 'cookie-cutter' decor that's the same as everyone else's. So in a 'perfect world' everything I bought would likely be custom and much of it designed by myself. Since that's not in my budget I've had lots of fun shopping pre-owned items and often refurbishing or changing them to suit me. It's one of the reasons I like original art because I know no one else has the same thing. I also like to use things in unconventional ways. My favorite shops are those that have unique one-of-a-kind handmade items.

ETA - This is one of my recent 'finds' and is a handmade burl bowl. While there are many artisan woodworkers who make wood burl bowls each are completely original due to the nature of the material. It's my latest collection - handmade totally unique wooden items.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12721 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
well, I guess then we are unconventional.

I don't know too many people who "decorate" with more than 20,000 books.. Our decorating choices seem to revolve around how much wall space is available for a bookshelf, or planning to expand the LR shelves..

my big thing is making sure that the shelf tops line up with the woodwork/mouldings around the window and door frames, which gives us exactly 84 inces heights for shelves.

as long as the books are accomodated, everyhting else falls into place..

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1554 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear MB, my partner is a graphic designer and I am an interior designer, I mention that only to underline the fact that we both are trained, visually dependant people. Even so, with all of our professional years behind us and 20 years as a couple making decisions together, every once in a while I/We get an unconventional idea to address a problem situation. We always ask our friends opinions, but we have learned to go with our gut regardless of whether it turns out to be popular with our peers.

Certain architecturally based design guidelines pertaining to measurement, wearability, or function should be adhered to, but oft times unconventional aesthetic choices yeild great results.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's my latest collection - handmade totally unique wooden items.

That is a very beautiful bowl, Joy Luck! My DGS mother makes wood furniture (a la Thos. Moser) and also many smaller wooden items, like Xmas tree ornaments and bowls similar to yours.

I don't think of myself as being deliberately "unconventional" rather I think I yam, what I yam (in the immortal words of Lil abner!)

I would say that I have done things that are "accommodating" rather than deliberately unconventional. However to a person who would never like my style of decorating/house choice these things would seem very unacceptable.

Something we never discuss on this forum is our place(s) in the world and what we deserve/require from it. Some years ago we heard a lot about our "carbon" footprint and now we hear a lot about eating locally grown products (locovare) I think its called.

Personally I don't believe I should have so many things when there truly are many who have so little. Thus I feel comparatively wealthy with things (like my 43 year old washer/drier) that others would find really should be replaced.

When I hear a 20 something year old couple looking at a house to buy and complaining about the color of the granite countertops, I think they need a good dose of reality!

I had to ask DH for a specific answer to your question MB. This is what he reminded me of.

We cut the ends off a bunch of old books (not valuable or even desirable) as I wanted a "fool the eye" aspect to this bookcase. (books on end)

I don't know if it "works" but it is certainly unconventional. However it is not a necessary element in our lifestyle but maybe expressive of our (My)lifestyle.

Not sure if this is what you mean MB.

Posts: 12539 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This is maybe more what you mean. This is a narrow shelf unit, made to fit exactly between the window and the kitchen shelves. It is meant to give extra storage space.

This is what I would call accommodating "unconventionality"

Posts: 12539 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:
So, I'm wanting to know that if you find something works in your decor lifestyle that might be considered unconventional, do you do it anyways? I think I've read enough posts from most of you to know what the majority of the answers will be Smile Thanks

You might know my answer, mountainbeach: yes, definitely.

I'm curious, however - where did your question come from? Any particular home or situation you're considering?

Whatever it is, make it your own. That's MHO.

Good Luck!

Posts: 484 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AguaBella:
I'm curious, however - where did your question come from? Any particular home or situation you're considering?

I'm having a time (not in a fun way) planning my kitchen. I had a contactor to help but when he found out I'd changed my mind and wanted to keep my original cabinets (instead of installing new) he hasn't had any contact with me since. I think he wasn't hearing enough cha-ching to make him happy. I just couldn't find anything I liked to fill a space between the range and fridge. I didn't want a cabinet, it's too "predictable" for me but I didn't want to be so far out there that people would look and say "WTH" was she thinking? For me it's hard to work with what we have and not gut it all out and start over. It takes time to find what I like, and patience is not a strength of mine, unfortunately. But, after spending 3 hrs. on the computer today, I'm getting close to finding something I like. Thanks all!!!

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed your post earlier, mb. Yes, as the job size is reduced, contractor interest level tends to follow. On the plus side, at least the guys didn't do demo and then simply disappear. (That ploy's common, IME.) Hopefully you can find a skilled, capable handyman who considers your job significant and will give you good service.

I hear you on the kitchen planning, too. Hope you finished it up, to your satisfaction. I didn't reread the above posts but curious how much space you had for the cabinets adjacent to the stove. Personally, I don't care for the skinny cabinets often inserted around the range. Some people do the spice pullout but then spices are near the heat.

It isn't my favorite configuration but am curious if it's possible to move the fridge and range together. That might give you enough space for a normal size cabinet on the end. Or, you might consider an endcap with open shelving on the side for cookbooks and/or accessories.

Sorry - just one more thought on your kitchen reno. You're probably done by now.

Let us know how it goes (with afters, if possible) and good luck!

Posts: 484 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would never poo poo
Sorry Froo but I just had to go for this!!!
Froo Froo would never poo poo!!!!
Smile And Froo is unconventional conversational!
Gotta love that!

Posts: 9708 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post