Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  JCP home decor UPDATED
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JCP home decor UPDATED Sign In/Join 
Picture of annie17
posted
I quit going to JCP when they put their new "no sales" clothes thingy out. I just read that they are putting out a new home decor line. Anyone seen it? It looks kind of fun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annie17,

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pebbles03b
posted Hide Post
No haven't seen it. We quit going there when they had Ellen be their sponsor.

Posts: 1314 | Location: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am boycotting Macy's over Donald Trump.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
sms,

Is Macy's related to JCP?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
No I haven't seen it Annie. Haven't been there in a while. I will have to go check it out. The new merchandise looks really fun. I have always loved shopping at JCP.
But the store is going down the tubes, ever since the new CEO took over. I'm worried they will close up. Sure hope not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
WOW.....that's all I can say...

To boycott Penny's because they hired Ellen to be their sponsor? really? really?

*sigh*

This message has been edited. Last edited by: just josie,

Posts: 1673 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the store is going down the tubes, ever since the new CEO took over. I'm worried they will close up

I've wondered too. I just quit going after the clothing change. I've been meaning to ask about the home dept. but saw this on AT and thought I might take a look.

Same guy Target used. All I need is another home dept. like Target....Big Grin

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
*sigh*

Josie, just noticed your sigh!!

posted Hide Post
I love juicy colors and that display looks wonderful.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
annie, no Macy's is not related to JCP, but since Pebbles chose to introduce boycotts, I thought I'd chime in. Hopefully that will put an end to any unpleasantness in this thread.

The only products I ever buy at Penneys are bedding and bath towels. The last time I checked their website, I wasn't happy with the bedding choices.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes many millions of people to protest/boycott consistently to make a store change it's policy. I guess I don't take it personally who the store chooses to be their spokesperson. The person they choose doesn't speak for me, just the store.
As far as JCP goes with me if there's something there I want or need I'll buy it, not whether its on sale or if I have coupon. Long ago I got tired of clipping coupons, bonus offers and have them pile up and clutter my purse, just give me the best price on a consistent basis, not marked up just so it can be marked down. I will be watching for the outcome on the lawsuit over MS products.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
annie, no Macy's is not related to JCP, but since Pebbles chose to introduce boycotts, I thought I'd chime in

sms, sorry that went right over my head!!

mamaspoon, I know you are right but for some reason I just don't like their new clothing line enough to pay the price. I want a sale! Smile

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I haven't done much shopping at jcpenny due to their change in the way they ran their sales..I guess their fair and square pricing campaign. Our store is getting ready to remodel...clearancing out all their home stuff/furniture etc. I love Ellen, I think she is hilarious and does a lot of nice things for people who need it.

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I used to buy lots of furniture from Penney's online. But the last couple of times, it looked a whole lot different when it got here. They took it back with no argument, so now I'm undecided whether I'll try them again. Maybe if it was a really good deal. Smile

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
I was just at JCP last weekend and I know our store doesn't have the new home decorating line. Based on the little I could see from the first picture, it does look interesting. Maybe not stuff that I would buy for myself but at least they look like they are trying for a more "fun" look. They did change their policies back as they do have sales again. I just wished they would sell skirts that were of a decent length and not the short skirts for skinny young girls! Smile

Posts: 3071 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
MS is in the news as having signed on to JCP decor when she was still obligated to Macy's.

I guess with money tight everyone is scrambling for what they can get including some of those Ikea looks!

I have never shopped JCP for furniture.

Remember, the DIY'ers are out there creating a new world for marketing, that is the level that is being sought after for $.

AKsunny,
I hear you on the market determining our skirt lengths! I sewed my own skirts after I (as a young mother) didn't want to to wear a skirt half way up my thigh! Sears used to have a catalog with some skirts sold as to the length you wanted, mini regular and maxi. So, if you were a very tall girl you could buy maxi and have the fabric you needed to have it hemmed to your liking. I no longer wear skirts, so that issue is over for me.

Everyone has their own opinion, and Peebles has a right to hers, BUT that does NOT reflect everyone's opinion (such a bait to start a DRAMA THREAD) Readers of this thread.... Please IGNORE her statement!

BTW ... I LOVE ELLEN and will always watch her career, she is so gifted in communication with people, and I love her understated, subtle humor! That is my opinion only not everyone elses.

Please readers, DO NOT fall for 'Drama Baits'! Give your opinion, YES, but do not attack other posters... let's rise above that mentality!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
I think Ellen is awesome!!! Shame on you

Posts: 4293 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
Annie, no I have not seen the new line but I will go check it out

Posts: 4293 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I agree Ellen is hilarious!! Smile

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Always, glad you chimed in as I knew you used to shop at JCP. Sounds like we had the same reaction to the "no sale" policy.

Annett, I hope they have some nice quality bedding for a good price.

Sunny, I hadn't heard that they have SALES AGAIN!! Thanks!

Mary Ruth, I did see MS on the news but missed the Penney's part.

posted Hide Post
JCPenney has changed alot of their style of bedding etc that they sell. I liked when they sold that line made for Penneys by Ralph Lauren I believe...alot of florals sorta cottage look.

What they carry now is a little more modern for my taste but still very very nice bedding and the quality looks good to.

Although I would probably like Martha Stewart products, they are usually overpriced.

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Always, if I understood the AT article correctly their new line will be more budget friendly. Wish they would get it in as I'm excited to see it.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I go to jcp maybe once or twice a year, mostly for bedding. Several times in the past, I purchased their ready-made curtains, but was never really happy with them.

It's too bad they discontinued their Linden Street collection of bedding. The sheets were luscious.

Business-wise, the chain is in a shambles. What that means for shoppers in the future is anyone's guess. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/...uarter-net-loss.html

Posts: 5162 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I have never bought bedding at JCP. I always thought it was high and found items I liked better at TJ Maxx.

posted Hide Post
JCP is one of the few retailers that sells womens tall sizes at reasonable prices. That "fair and square" marketing campaign didn't work well for me. By the time I sat down to see what the best deals were, most of the stuff was already sold. I don't do coupons either, I just want good value and I believe JCP has it. However, I did get a great bargain on patio furniture for our screen porch - the right color, sizes, and unbelievable prices. But that is only because I ordered the items the day the catalog arrived. Smile

Posts: 3984 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I don't like stores that use sales as a gimmick on a regular basis to lure customers in(Penney's and Kohl's). If they can afford constant sales, they can afford reasonably priced items and cut out the sales ploys.

I haven't bought clothes at JCP since the mid 90s because they are bland, boring, and totally not my style.

I have however bought some home furnishings through the catalog several times and been pleased with them.

Our local JCP is small and looks run down and has a poor selection of merchandise. I rarely go there unless I'm looking for an item and can't find it anywhere else-they usually don't have it either.

Posts: 3193 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I have always liked JCP for bedding and towels. I was in the local store this week and it looked EMPTY - tons of open space, everything rearranged, a minimum of merchandise...there must have been only 50 towels on the small section of shelves left. I remember noticing their decor line display, but they weren't using my colors Big Grin

ETA - Looks like they are trying to become a Target...groceries next?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Annie,

It looks very much like MS involved as previous mentioned. A link with more info on the matter.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/0...jc-penney/index.html

Our local store is looking empty also. Plus the last 3 excursions to the store left me empty-handed.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I found alot of clothes I liked b/4 their last change. Then it seemed like it looked pretty stark and I quit going.

I guess I'm into the sale game, just hate to pay full price. Roll Eyes

Good news, the stores are empty, change must be coming!!

posted Hide Post
I have to return that quilt I bought at JCPenney this weekend. Should be interesting to see what progress they have done on their remodel.

Our store has always been pretty nice. Big, clean and a good selection.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Always, if you see new merchandise let us know!

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I will shop just about anywhere. JCP has always been on my list of "easy to shop at", "usually has something I like", stores.

The new home dec line looks modern, fun, and young. I haven't seen it yet, but now I'm going to have to see if my JCP has it so I can check it out.

I think Ellen is one of the smartest, funniest comedians working right now. Her comedy seems to come from a sweet, friendly relatable place and I like that much more than negative humor.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of your comments! Smile

posted Hide Post
Can't say anything about JCP's home decor dept. because it has always been a store I avoided. All I can say is someone told me to check out their new men's dept. and when I did I was floored. It was so cool! All this 80's retro Izod Lacoste and Levi's skinny jeans in great colors, vintage 50's looking bucks in chocolate suede with bright orange crepe soles. The stuff was great.

I understand what the new CEO was trying to do by educating the consumer that sales and coupons are really bogus when the merchandise is marked up 5x's to begin with. I just think people love the idea that they're getting a deal when really they're not.

It's like Raymour & Flannigan, what's really the price when you're advertising a different sale every week?

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in there it looked like it was going out of business there was so few things in it and the prices were high for what they did have. I have no reason to even want to go back.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5703 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
There isn't a JCP near me, so I rarely shop there anymore. I was looking for curtain rods and went into the store, and the selection was somewhat sparse.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I havent shopped at JCP in a few years.The snoody young employees just stand around & talk to each other.UGH..NO customer service at all.Our JCP is very small.I like the one in the next county but I dont go there much at all.I will go in a few times a year but dont see anything I am interested in.Our store is more for teen girls,guys and small children.The home Dept.is just one small corner area.No real women clothes and small amounts of purses and shoes too.When I worked there 10 years ago,it had more products and was ran better.

I dont like the new JCP marking at all.I did get coupons and specials way back.

Posts: 2988 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont like the new JCP marking at all.I did get coupons and specials way back.

Jackie, someone here mentioned the sales are back and I also so it somewhere else.

I am excited to check out their new home decor.

posted Hide Post
KG,you made me chuckle. JCP used to own a chain of grocery stores called The Treasury which eventually went bankrupt--fortunately after my mother changes employers!

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from JCP. Looks like they have the new home decor in the store. I am going to check it out even though it appears that there are alot of really bright colors that I don't use.

Always, have you seen it yet?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I was in JCP about a week ago, The store was practially empty. I went to look at furniture, hardly anything. I was like what's going on. Saleslady, just said they are remodeling. And I didn't see anything in the store, like the picture posted above. Maybe I will take a peek again today while I'm out, and see what's up.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I used to buy a fair amount of stuff from JCP back when they had the catalogs. Especially home decor, bedding and curtains.I quit when they discontinued the catalogs..
I TRIED to get school uniforms for the kids at a JCP about 35 miles from me, (closest store) but they were dirty, the wrong size and priced way too high.

I can't tell the difference between JCP and target commercials on TV. I try to guess who's who and am always wrong.
I like Ellen just fine, the spokesperson for a store doesn't really affect whethewr I buy there or not.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't tell the difference between JCP and target commercials on TV. I try to guess who's who and am always wrong.

Kathy, I do the same thing! Maybe they are trying for the type of business Target gets!

Guess I better call b/4 I go.

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
I haven't been since they changed their policy and no coupons and sales. But they could send out that fancy catalog??? Say what?

But last week I got a 10$ of 10$ coupon so they must be changing back.

I love JCP. Mine is small but friendly and nice service.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
my daughter is tall and always gets get dress slacks, jackets and jeans at JCP. We really enjoy the one at the mall, sales folks are very nice and check out is quick.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LibraDesignEye
posted Hide Post
Fellow board folks are the ones who showed me that JCP has a lot of drapery at very good prices. I'm excited for the design changes - merchandise has really gotten better in style over last five years from my experience. I bought indoor drapery on sale there (down to 12 per grommet panel and I needed 10) and used them outdoors and they are still going strong.

I've been a happy convert, due to my friends recommendations here!

Posts: 2032 | Registered: Apr 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i long for the days of independent jcp's NOT in malls...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Penneys is offering 20% off both online and in store thru 4-17.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I finally stopped at Penney's. The home decor was a disappointment. There was a small selection and nothing I wanted.

Seems they may be in trouble as I hear Sear/Kmart are. Frown

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annie17:
I finally stopped at Penney's. The home decor was a disappointment. There was a small selection and nothing I wanted.

Seems they may be in trouble as I hear Sear/Kmart are. Frown

"SIGH" Frown