Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Speaking of carpetting...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of carpetting... Sign In/Join 
posted
...is there a way to get rid of a stain EASILY that has gotten larger and darker on my silver grey carpet (not wool) without resorting to an entire carpet cleaning from a professional company? I think the stain was cat throw-up but not certain -- could have been a soda.
I am not averse to getting down and scrubbing if I know something will work.

Posts: 1722 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had great success with Resolve, on all types of stains.

Posts: 4149 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Woolite. Resolve seemed to leave light spots on my carpet when I cleaned up the spots...I have used it for years but seems they have changed the formula. Woolite doesn't leave the lighter spots.

love life

Posts: 1557 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
I've used Woolite and Resolve on MANY cat barfs and both work great. Looks much better after it dries and you vacuum it. The only thing I could never get out was a coffee spill and red wine.

Not sure if Resolve left any light spots because my carpet is already light (ivory).

Posts: 10519 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Spot Shot, carpet cleaner, is my go-to, especially for any dried/set in mystery stains.
Hasn't failed me yet. Wink

Posts: 9664 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DH says he used Oxiclean today but I was not at all pleased with the results.
I will first try the Spot Shot and continue (if necessary) from there with the other 2 suggestions.
Thanks all for your quick responses.

Picture of Traveler
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Spot Shot. Get the aerosol can.

--------------------------------
Chance favors the prepared mind.
-- Louis Pasteur --

Posts: 8406 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beware of the spot if it is cat barf. I had dog barf on my carpet and I cleaned it up and than a couple of weeks later the spot came back. Decided it was the grease in the barf....need something with grease cutter in it.

love life

Posts: 1557 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huge thanks to Traveler and Conrad. Spot Shot did the trick. I mistakenly got the trigger spray but it worked miracles. Seemed like most of it was simply cat fur where our Norma-Jean always likes to sit.
Thanks again. I am very grateful.