Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Need Bedroom Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Bedroom Help! Sign In/Join 
posted
My husband and I moved into our home this last summer and I have completed decorating all of the rooms like I wanted them with the exception of our bedroom. It's painted Coventry Gray by Benjamin Moore. Our furniture is black and the headboard is large and Pottery Barn looking. Our bedspread is white. Our room is small and has two big windows. I would like some kind of curtains that have a pattern and some accent pillows for the bed, but I don't know what color scheme I want to go with. I thought about using a mustard or gold as the accent color, but that's how most of the rest of my house is (mustards and grays), so I was hoping for something different in this room. Any ideas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Katyyan,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
There are numerous options you could go with. It's truly a matter of personal preference for your personal space. It depends upon the feel you want to create in the room.

I would suggest selecting a print fabric that you love with the wall color and white bedding. Then select a solid color from the print fabric for drapes and play that up with accent pillows on the bedding.

I'm attaching a picture of just one idea of a serene neutral like bedroom with Coventry Gray walls and a print fabric used for the drapes and then a beautiful peaceful blue shade as an accent. Your wall color allows you many color options for accent to play with.

I would love to see what direction you take the room. Please check back with us once you've decorated it fully and share it with us as inspiration. Hopefully others will give you more ideas.

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Here's a room with conventry grey. I'm loving this space, what do you think?

my pictures

Posts: 4753 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Any accent will "go" with the gray, white and black as an accent. What are your favorite colors? Find one color you love and scatter it about the room in a mix of scales of prints and textures. Note how the teal in your pillow works with the gray walls or the magenta of the flowers in the inspirational pic. If you wish a print featuring the gray in the walls along with colors, carry a paint chip with you for reference. Other things that can dot the room in a color or three are lamp bases, a rug, picture frames, a throw, pillows, a clock to name a few.

Posts: 18713 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides Froo's always fine ideas, I was thinking that for a change you might like to consider a bright, cheerful room rather than (my favorite) monochromatic grays etc. and go with light yellow.
Just another thought...

Posts: 1705 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
More iNsPIrAtiOnaL pics on the following link. I LOVE the peach (or coral) teamed with it.

http://www.porterhousedesigns....rs-for-gray-bedrooms

Posts: 18713 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your ideas! I've been looking online at fabric because I can't find any curtains or pillows at any stores that I like. All of your ideas were very helpful! After looking at that last link, I am now really liking the light coral/peach color which is a direction I hadn't thought of before. Smile I definitely think I want to bring in some color rather than sticking with the grays and muted tones throughout the room.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post