Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Help me decide please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide please Sign In/Join 
posted
Mary Ruth and I talked about this this morning. I have a colonial blue stucco house over used brick. I have white window frames and black plastic shutters I want to replace with slightly rounded handmade french style wood shutters. I am wondering what color for the shutters and framing. The framing is heavy above the window also. I will try to post a photo, but what do u think with or without photo?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Norco, CA | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
What color is the roof? A pic would be most helpful.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Hi Nita, long time no see. Good to see you here.
Yes a pic always helps!!

Posts: 4803 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The roof is black, the window frames are white, the shutters now black.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Norco, CA | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do I upload now, it's different, used to be easy.

posted Hide Post
hope it comes thru

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Nita, I gave up on the add attachment.
Now, I save my photo using paint and reduce the size before I save it in my pictures file.
Then, I go to TinyPic.com, choose browse, select my photo, hit upload (sometimes you have to answer a question to upload it)and once it appears in the box, choose the TOP line of the web addresses, right click to copy, then come here and right click to paste it in the body of your reply. It will appear as a bunch of letters, but once you post, the picture shows up. Do not try to put it as the "add attachment." That is just frustrating, LOL!!

Good Luck,
Candy

Posts: 1330 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here

posted Hide Post
okay, will try that, thank u

posted Hide Post
not working.....

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
help again?

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I open up a reply box and minimize it.
Then I go to tinypic.com and choose browse.
I go to my pictures file on my computer and click on the picture, that takes me back to tinypic. I then hit upload, this time I had to answer the question, and then the picture shows up.
Click on the top address line box, HTML for websites, it should turn black, then right click and choose copy.

Minimize tinypic and re-open the reply box.
Put your cursor in the white part of the reply box and right click, hit paste.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You should see a bunch of letters relating to tinypic.
That turns into the picture when you hit Post Now.

Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Posts: 1330 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some inspiration pics that I thought might help you to visualize different options.

ETA: I realize this house doesn't have shutters, but thought you might like to see how the dark gray looks next to the blue house body and white trim.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oldhouseluvr,

Cyndi

Posts: 4089 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Sherwin-Williams color scheme.

Cyndi

Posts: 4089 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Behr color scheme.

Cyndi

posted Hide Post
Another one from Behr.

Cyndi

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nita, Hi! Tomorrow I will take a screen shot of the photo you shared with me and post it here if you want. Can',t do it with my Kindle ( I am on it now)

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It works for me with the Add Attachment. Wonder why it doesn't for others?

Posts: 4803 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for the photos. I love these. I am going for a French country look and wonder if I make the new shutters distressed looking if there are other colors that will go with the Colonial blue? I still cannot upload photo, Mary, even though I followed all the help.

posted Hide Post
Like the cranberry too, that goes with the French country, wondering if a mustard would be too wild also.

posted Hide Post
one more try

posted Hide Post
Heheheheheehe, it was the attachment that worked.

posted Hide Post
also going to modify the top of the white frame with paint to make it look normal rectangle, not the wings. Is the white too much? Should I paint another color along with the color I choose for the shutters or does the white go along too much with the white panes?

posted Hide Post
mary, this is for you...the coins...

posted Hide Post
another I found....

posted Hide Post
The one above has the rounded look atop each shutter

posted Hide Post
one more, color chart

posted Hide Post
Opinions?

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Reverse the color scheme to make your post-war American ranch achieve a more stylized French country look.

1.paint the stucco and the brick - in a light to medium putty color to suggest the stone facade of a typical French country home.

2.paint the door and your existing shutters in French blue. Because your window frames and lintel are straight, curved shutters might look awkward.

3. change out the light fixtures, if needed.

Here is an inspiration picture:

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this! I had thought about whitewashing the used brick cause I love that look. I wonder how it would look if I just painted the front of the house and not the sides or back, cause that is unaffordable at the moment. The bushes have all grown up to hide all the brick, but I could have them trimmed halfway down again.

posted Hide Post
Love this whitewashed look of a house in my old hometown

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Nita,

What color is the roof now? Dark blue gray perhaps?

Are you painting the brick too?

Are you considering round-ed shutters like these from your pic? It seems like the round shutters might look dis-jointed with the ranch style of the house. Those shutters are usually done on a cottage style. If you check the pics posted by OHL, the shutters are all rectangle shape and not rounded.

AY's post shows rounded window and architecture that matches the round shutter shapes.

Can you cut or mock-up the shape of the shutters and see what you think?

Purists will say no to shutters since they would not cover the whole window. BTW: We have shutters like your current ones on our house too. Smile

Hopefully, the pros here will also reply with ideas and suggestions.

Good Luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9512 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The roof is as black as it can be. Smile

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
IMO, I would completely remove the shutters, and get beefier lights. I think that the white trim could stand alone.

Softer, curvier, landscaping would give you a new look.

Posts: 3270 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would just remove the shutters- scale seems off for window trim.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing I am not going to do is remove the shutters or have none. Just looking to customize. I do agree, I could curve the beds.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nita, of course, you are in a ranch style and cannot transform to a French Chalet! But the feel of a French Chalet can appear as decorations and not as part of the architecture.

We tend to not do this to our exteriors as much as inside because it is the one space that is CLEARLY seen from all who drive by and affects property values more so than interiors.

I like your idea of changing out the shutters to a more substantial style. Painting the brick so that your house is not cut in half horizontally is a good idea too, but then must be maintained thereafter.

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post