Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Dark bedroom theme
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dark bedroom theme Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm trying to design a new look for my bedroom. It's currently mostly black and white with very little color and I think it needs some color. So I'm going to start with changing the bedding/rugs to see if I can spice it up.

Here is a link to a bedset that I would like to be the centerpiece for my room.

http://www.amazon.com/Veratex-...forter/dp/B008JV0VS8

I just don't know how to incorporate color into this theme. Crimson or plum sheets/shams/bed skirt/rugs? Should I upgrade my wall decor to introduce color? I don't want the purple or red to be overpowering, just enough to pop out.

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Eleghant bedding. IF IT WERE ME, I would paint the walls the tan from the bedding and feature black iron headboard that is high and calls attention to the bed. I would keep the space monochromatic with lots of textural interest, attention to details and another pattern scale. There would some metal finishes and mirror or glass for sparkle. The drapes would be black (perhaps a matte and satin shadow stripe) with tan sheers and the room trim white including a rich crown. More white would punctuate the room for a crisp contrast. There would be no need for a colorful accent, but if desired, a spicy/earthy red might keep things lively.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with a very specific two color fabric is it's limitations for adding other colors. One large item in the room, say an area rug or bold painting would give you a jumping off point to add one or two other accent colors. I like Froo's suggestions with the exception of the black drapes (sorry). Regardless if you add other color or not, keep the drapes neutral. There is enough contrast in the bedding already. Some things in a room, especially a bedroom, need to be quiet and stay in the background.

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. I do like the suggestions so far. I will definitely look for a nice colored shag rug for the foot of the bed and perhaps a couple clear, colored vases for that shine.

I agree that a light paint will help contrast the color, and even with limitations they will stand out. Less is more!

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous bedding! I think a deep red or purple wallpaper could really help add some color to the room without being overpowering, especially if you did more of a solid than a print. You could tie in the wall color with some pillows that compliment it as well, and also add a few accents in the gold since that is a very eye-catching part of the bedding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: laurastewart,

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Have you already purchased it? It doesn't look like it is available.

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Whenever I read a question about color schemes it makes me wonder about the astrology sign of the person asking the questions (and answering them too if the advice is about a specific color)

Pat has very definite color choices but they would be so diametrically opposite to anything I would choose that I could not advise her.

Posts: 12145 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post