Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Updated w/ Pics - Need Table Top Help / Ideas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated w/ Pics - Need Table Top Help / Ideas Sign In/Join 
posted
Updated

The post now includes pictures with the glass. Thank you everyone for the help. Pier 1 glass table top on sale for 89.99!! What a steal. I only set the table for two people which is why I went with the smaller size, and I am still looking for stools to match (I already had those stools). Any suggestions of bar stool types would be appreciated! Thanks for the help again!

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking for a little bit of help. I picked up this old spindle that was used to wind wire in a factory planning to convert it into a pub height dining table. It will be going in a slightly industrial style loft with wood floors against an exposed brick wall. Some suggestions I had received so far included clear glass (easiest route), black glass (my favorite right now), and white marble/stone of sorts. Any other suggestions or opinions on what would look best? I included a photo of the spindle as well. Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jelondon,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some reason I think the clear class option would be best. Otherwise the unique features of the spindle will be lost

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Lu...

Posts: 4782 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I agree with either glass or plexiglass to be able to appreciate the structure of the spindle.

JMHO,
Candy

Posts: 1324 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Another vote for glass here as well -- that way you can see the lovely features of the spindle!

Martha

Posts: 6279 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote clear glass as well. VERY cool find!

Posts: 4152 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neat looking. Clear glass.
I want it!!!

Posts: 1730 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Another vote for clear glass. Smile

Posts: 903 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
My remark is an observation on your table. Since you want to use it for dining and since the base is the same size as the top, how will you accommodate chairs to sit at the table?

If they set into the framework, how will a diner pull his/her chair out and then back in to sit? Seems they would have to lift one front leg at a time to fit in comfort under the table.

I like your idea and understand how great it would look in the space you describe but maybe something has to be tweaked.

Also do the screws extrude above the rim? If so that would create a problem of the glass "rocking".

As far as color of the glass. . . I see that as your call. Although the dark glass would obscure the top of the spindle, the design is repeated at the bottom, so is still visible. I think the dark might be more sophisticated.

Posts: 13003 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. To address the concerns - The screws are not taller than the rim, and the glass will be a larger diameter than the table itself so that you are able to pull a chair up to and away from the table with ease (the first concern I had before I bought the table).

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
another vote for glass. it's not my style, but I have to say, it certainly is unique, and I like unique.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I vote for glass, too (clear). If dark glass is anything like mirrored glass, you'd be in for a lot of dusting! I have a clear glass coffee table and I'm not a slave to it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 6073 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
the glass will be a larger diameter than the table itself so that you are able to pull a chair up to and away from the table with ease (the first concern I had before I bought the table).

I think this is going to look smashing! As to the clear v. black, why not take a piece of plain glass, put something black (taped on) on one side and check out the look of the black? I kinda thing the black might be more impressive.

Posts: 13003 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
probably cheapest is plywood covered with a small tile...

caution no matter what type of glass, it must be safety!! pretty expensive but easiest to keep clean...remember marble has to be sealed...

what a clever table!

Posts: 8564 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Brilliant with clear glass. Have a pro fit and cut it so that you have the right type for safety and don't forget the bumpers under the glass!

Posts: 3445 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loving the finished product! Any stool suggestions?

posted Hide Post
I LOVE it (and your space)! That is so cool! I don't mind the stools you have.

Posts: 4152 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of teewa
posted Hide Post
Brilliant! I'm green with envy. The table goes great with the old brick and the beautiful wood floors! Love the stools you currently have but wonder if a chrome leather combo would compliment or detract from your fab table?

Posts: 532 | Location: Canada | Registered: Mar 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
It looks fantastic! I love the brick and the floor. It reminds me of a cozy pub Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post