Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Wood or Painted Kitchen Cabiets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood or Painted Kitchen Cabiets? Sign In/Join 
posted
I have cherry wood kitchen cabinets in my current kitchen. There is a very good possibility that we are going to be building a smaller home next year and I am really loving the look of all the white or cream cabinet kitchens I am seeing. I have been told that white painted cabinets tend to split and crack over time. Do you have painted kitchen cabinets, and if yes, what is your experience with them? Would love to hear your opinion .. and if you have a white cabinet kitchen, would love to see pics! Thanks!

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I currently have oak cabinets, but our first house had painted cabinets. Before we moved from house no. 1 we repainted them after sanding them to the bare wood. I swore I would never have painted cabinets again. NEVER say NEVER. Wink I am considering painting my current cabinets a white. Now, there are pros and cons regarding painted cabinets vs stained and the color and steps involved in painted cabinetry impacts those pros and cons too. For one, white or cream (or any light color for that matter) shows dirt more. If not primed and painted properly, they will show wear early too. IMHO, white cabinetry is timeless. The newer variation is a glazing applied to emphasize textural details. That could be a short lived trend tho. Glazing over painted cabinetry is also an added expense. Stained cabinetry is quite timeless too as long as you steer clear of pickled or whitewashed looks. Stained cabinetry does not show it's age as readily or dirt as painted. That is not to say, it can change coloration due to UV exposure more so than painted and will wear around handles over time.

Posts: 18675 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Froo-this time around, clean them until they are spotless, sand them a little, then use a bonding primer vs. stripping them to bare. Don't wear yourself out girl!

Personally, unless the cabinets are some shade of natural cherry (not that dark pinkish red they pretend is cherry) or mahogany colored, I'll paint them in a heartbeat.

Froo is right about painted cabinetry needing more attention to keep them looking clean. Personally, I like to see where the dirt is so I can get it off. You don't notice it on wood colored cabinets until it gets disgusting. I'd rather KNOW I have clean cabinets than THINK I have clean cabinets. Wink

Anyway, as for the cracking you mentioned...how you care for your cabinets will have an impact on how well they perform long-term. The paint on the cabinets shouldn't crack and split on its own merit. A common problem with painted real wood cabinets is that when they expand and contract with the weather, the joints may spread, leaving a small gap that is visible. This is the reason many white cabinets are made from a pressed product that has a plastic coating applied to it then heated to conform to the design profile on the doors.

It's been a while since I was around cabinetry, so the products may have changed so that the little gap thing around at the joints is no longer an issue. Since wood cabinets are darker and have grain which gives them visual distraction, the little gaps go unnoticed. Both the painted cabinets and the wood cabinets may experience expansion gapping, it's just that you don't notice it on a wood product. Other real-wood products such as trim is the same way-crown mouldings, baseboards, window casings, etc.

If you choose a painted cabinet, inquire about the cracking and see if they have come up with a solution, what the likelihood is that this will occur, and what tips they suggest for maintaining them in a new looking condition. Remember you will probably talk to a salesperson, so do some research on your own. The manufacturer has a website, ask some technical questions there as well.

Personally, I love painted cabinets although I usually choose a shade of tan and I've always done them myself. I've never been disappointed.

Since this is a new place and cabinets are probably one of more pricey items you will be choosing, take your time making your decision and do your research and keep asking yourself which one is the "real" you-just in case it's a passing thing. The pros and cons may make the decision for you, but it you really love them, go for it!

Here's a kitchen that I painted the cabinets in. It's from the late 90s, so there will be no laughing. Big Grin

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a house with painted wood cabinets.
I've owned 3 houses - all with solid wood cabinets. All have been painted white. In this house, the cabinets had been painted when I bought it. I guess they were oak as I notice a grain showing thru which used to bother me a lot but I guess I've grown used to it as I don't notice it anymore.

I have never noticed any cracking of the paint nor separation that Bella described.

Like Bella, I LOVE white cabinets because one can see the fingerprints. A fresh white kitchen always seems CLEAN to me. In my last house, I even had a white kitchen floor but that's the LAST time:::::::laughing::::::::

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Bella, the current cabinets are stained so I need not strip them to bare wood. That was what DH and I did to the cabinets that were originally painted in our first house and we repainted them. The original paint was flaking so for a smooth new coat, we had to remove all the old paint.That was back in the 70s btw so it was a long time ago.

Posts: 18675 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I have cream cabinets with a taupe glaze on them. I love them, Here's a pic for you.

my pictures

Posts: 4701 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
if you cook a lot, I'd stay with natural woods...

but I must say we did one kitchen (1970's) in a blue and rubbed with a gold paste...I know sounds crazy but they matched the wallpaper and loved them...(not very many, small kitchen)

this home have all wood, and love them...

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way, you can always paint wood stained cabinets at a later date if you tire of them. The reverse is much more difficult.

Posts: 804 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer in a very comprehensive overall background. (which can then be layered with variety) So if I had the luxury of starting from scratch anything permanent like a bathroom or a kitchen or other architectural features like staircases and fireplace mantles would be an extension of the exterior architectural style.

Based on my personal preferences I would never arbitrarily pick something as permanent or expensive as kitchen cabinets without first knowing the style of the home. Painted cabinets would be great in say a Cape while oak would be preferential in a Craftsman. Painted cabinets would also look good in a cottage style home or even a Federal,while certain woods like zebrawood and walnut can be very mid century modern.

My opinion is that painted cabinets blend with more architectural styles than wood cabinets do, others may disagree.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Shortly after DD moved into her house 20 + years ago she removed all of the cupboard doors (40 of them!) carefully prepared them and then painted them and the cupboard structures too of course.

This is how they looked last Christmas. They are still in excellent condition.

Her house dates from 1929 and other than this project and replacing the linoleum with a black and white checkerboard linoleum she had done little else to kitchen, which probably was updated in the '50's. Had stove repaired (cost more than new!) hung green and white ticking paper, uses red accents.

this taken during meal prep hence mess on counters!

I can't really remember original wood of cupboards but nothing special. Her house style is Dutch Colonial.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12595 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
My opinion is that painted cabinets blend with more architectural styles than wood cabinets do, others may disagree.

I agree. Another factor to consider is the style of the cabinet door.

For instance, let's say you have a 1940's or 1950's vintage ranch and the kitchen is in a tired 1980's style, with arched cathedral doors in builder's wood grain. You can give the kitchen a more stylish mid-century modern look by changing the doors to a plain flush slab and painting everything out.

Posts: 5287 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles,
In essence, I think I tend to agree with you.
However, there MAY be other factors to consider when discussing painted cabinets versus wood toned. For instance, My kitchen has one small window and a double opening to the breakfast room. IF I had wood toned cabinets, it would look like a cave in there even with the recessed ceiling lights, under counter lights and a chandelier.

OR maybe NOT being a visual person, I just can't imagine it with wood toned cabinets.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Love, Lu:
Charles,
In essence, I think I tend to agree with you.
However, there MAY be other factors to consider when discussing painted cabinets versus wood toned. For instance, My kitchen has one small window and a double opening to the breakfast room. IF I had wood toned cabinets, it would look like a cave in there even with the recessed ceiling lights, under counter lights and a chandelier.

OR maybe NOT being a visual person, I just can't imagine it with wood toned cabinets.

Lu, if you have wood furniture in your breakfast room, that may be all the wood you need to keep both spaces warm and cozy. My preference is for painted cabinets in most cases anyway.The only time I did wood cabinets in my own home was when the kitchen opened up onto a small formal dining room. We opted for raised paneled solid cherry with dark granite so the kitchen when visible from the dining room looked more like fine furniture than cabinetry.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the discussion of painted vs. wood toned cabinets. The house in question is a Cape style. I would like to have a lighter feel/look to this home compared to my dark cherry, dark granite in my current home. I'm not completely decided either way ... have even thought of having cherry or maple cabinets with a white island. I have seen this done in magazines, etc. and I do like the look and maybe that is a good compromise. I just don't know. I do love the look of a white cabinet kitchen. They seem to be popular in the South but it is gaining popularity I New England where I live. Either way, this is still a dilemma for me ...

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Some pro /con tip pages to help you weigh your options...

http://blog.kitchenviews.com/2...vs-stained-cabinets/

In the following link, you will notice a mix of stained and painted in some kitchens...

http://www.houzz.com/painted-and-stained-cabinets

http://www.addicted2decorating...itchen-cabinets.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

posted Hide Post
I can only tell you of my experience.
My kitchen cabinets are painted shiny white with black wrought iron pulls -- sort of in the country style though the overall effect in the kitchen is Mexican, with other colors being black and terracotta.
Those cabinets were there even before I lived in the house (1956) and every time I think of modernizing them I get a panic attack -- I love the look of my kitchen that much.
Whether or not it is because they are shiny and smooth I do not know but I never had a problem with keeping them clean except maybe around the handles where people are most likely to be.
There are no cracks and they seem in fine condition.
Good luck with your decision. I'm sure whatever you decide, it will look great -- and what fun deciding.

Posts: 1674 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond, post pics and provided links. I have been weighing the pros and cons ... and I can't say with complete certainty which way I will go at this point. Ugh! I hate that I'm being so indecisive!!! Again, many thanks to everyone! Happy New Year!!!

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I updated my kitchen last spring and painting my cabinets was THE BEST decision I made (thanks Mom Wink )

My kitchen is dark because it's on the back of the house and it gets no direct sunlight. I have natural woodwork in the kitchen/home and while I didn't want white or cream - I did paint it a color that matches the new counters.

Before:

~~~becca~~~~

BEFORE

Posts: 5585 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
after painting, new counters, and a tile backsplash.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5585 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post