Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Seat cushions for shorties
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seat cushions for shorties Sign In/Join 
posted
Here's a strange request.
I was at the movies and saw a woman walk in carrying a seat cushion which she was carrying by a handle. I asked her what it was and she told me she was too short to fit at certain restaurant seats and was going out after the movie for dinner and was carrying her travel seat cushion with her. It was square and maybe an inch to 1 1/2" thick.
I have the same problem and was wondering if anyone knew of a place to find this neat travel cushion for shorties.
I'd appreciate any help and thanks from a 5'1" shrimp.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Check at a sporting goods store. They usually have them for the bleacher seats at games.

You could also custom stitch one to your exact comfort. The square foam pieces are easily found at the local craft store.

Good Luck!

ETA: Duh to me...Check for boat cushions too.

http://www.sportsauthority.com...w=boat+cushions&sr=1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9346 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Bed Bath & Beyond... I saw one there that was more to relieve back pain but the right size. Might even find something with outdoor furniture stuff... something for patio chairs..you might have to put your own handle on them. I have what is labeled as floor cushions that I picked up at costco...they are 4" or so... they have handles...

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips youze guys. I will keep searching...

posted Hide Post
How thick was the one you saw? I don't think it should be too difficult to make.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6189 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About an inch and 1/2. But the one I saw was a travel cushion with a handle. I thought it was a big square purse at first.
And no, I do not want to make one. I want to buy one.
But thanks anyway.
I looked up Bed, Bath which is near me and will go there and check it out.

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I'm picturing a seat cushion, like one to SIT on. But, that would only RAISE the seat higher.

So is this really a BACK cushion, to fill in the back area?

A back store (we have a couple around here) might be someplace to look. Or perhaps a different location inside a BBB-type store.

Posts: 4408 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Index Lady:
Yes, I do want a cushion that raises me up to the table a bit higher -- so my nose isn't at the table top (just kidding!)
Here is what I found on the internet with some help from y'all. I'll let you know if it works or not:
http://cascadedesigns.com/ther...ng/lite-seat/product

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do want a cushion that raises me up to the table a bit higher

Oh! OK. I was picturing dangling feet. That's why I thought it must be a back cushion. Big Grin

Posts: 4408 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking back cushion also.

I have been in chairs/booths at restaurants that I was too low also.

I also don't like to be so far back that can't bend at the knees when sitting.

Guess a cushion could be used either way, which ever is needed.

Strings

posted Hide Post
I just walked out of Costco with a seat cushion... Handle included. It is memory foam with cool gel inserts... $19.... It's about 2" thick...
I'm going to try it in my office chair... Then DH is using his in his truck...
Might be something you want to look into if you have a store near you... I can post the # after I get back home if needed.

Becky

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Becky is that like the ones seen on TV? Have seen ones like those on TV at Hambrick's. Don't remember a handle on those.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

posted Hide Post
The one at BB&B is the same as Seen on TV... friend picked that up for a neighbor... he loves his.
Costco doesn't list this one on line.
Black & the shape would fit any office chair.
Latex foam topped with Memory foam then the gel pads.
The fine print says to enjoy a "cool seat" it should be stored indoors before throwing it in the car... cooling only last an hour or so.
I'm in Houston... do you think it could cool after one inning of baseball here...LOL

I got it to give me a boost sitting in my office chair. The new computer is playing havoc with my progressive triple action glasses...

Becky

posted Hide Post
Thanks Becky. Those gel pads can get pretty hot in the sun. Dh knew someone that had gotten a gel seat for his motorcycle and ended up with skin burns. Not the same as in a car, but do be careful.

Dh's new glasses are giving him fits too. He says the computer screen is lopsided. They have redone them once and are doing again since he asked for bifocals to be lower. Got them too low. Also lopsided when reading. First time he asked me what I had done to the computer monitor. He had to put his old glasses on to be convinced that the screen was okay.

Hope the cushion helps. When I worked years ago, it was at an old oak desk. Had to have my chair so high that my feet dangled and needed foot stool.

Strings

posted Hide Post
I just received my thermarest lite seat cushion and it is perfect for my particular needs. All I really needed it for was to boost me up a bit higher to a table, especially on banquette seating which is usually too low for me in restaurants, etc. It is a pleasure.
Thanks for everyone's advice.