Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  I have a dilema - need advice on what to do.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a dilema - need advice on what to do. Sign In/Join 
posted
We moved into a house, I painted the guest room Benjamin Moore 234 before we moved in - figured it a neutral color. Came out a bit darker than I wanted, but overall it works. Purchased a headboard (Restoration Hardware Latham in Army Duck Sand color) off Craigslist. It looked much lighter online and outside. When I got it home it looks to be almost the color of the walls, but not quite. It doesn't look good at all. I got an awesome deal on the headboard, found bedding I like with the headboard and wall color. So, here is where I need advice. Should I repaint the room so the headboard doesn't look so yucky against the headboard or should I just paint one wall (the one the headboard is on) as an accent wall. If I paint one wall - what color? Would you go a lighter tone? If I go dark it would really make the room darker, which I don't want, and it's not a huge room, so that wall is the first you see and would come in on you quick. I've posted my stuff below for reference. Oh, I know, I know - painting should be the last thing you do when decorating a room! I went against what I know.

Thanks!

BM 234 Crisp Khaki

This message has been edited. Last edited by: christyinco,

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Headboard Color - being against the wall color makes it look dirty.

posted Hide Post
Bedding

posted Hide Post
Wood Trim color in house

posted Hide Post
Bedding Closeup

posted Hide Post
It's nice to have all the painting finished before moving in, isn't it? I'm sorry that the color didn't work for you. I think an accent wall would look great behind the head of the bed. I think you could go with a much lighter version of your current color or perhaps a shade of green (or blue) that's in your bedding. The green doesn't have to be an exact match.

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I think you are going to need to paint the room over. Decide on your bedding first and then pick the paint color. With all due respect to Gracie, I would not paint an accent wall even though it sounds easier. You will still have the color issue you do now. And accent walls are a trend whose time has come and gone.

Posts: 784 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post

I found an inspiration photo.
It is a color blocked wall in monotone colors of beiges/creams that might make a good focal point behind the headboard.

Just a thought.
Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Posts: 1247 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you for discovering the problem was the paint.
It's just paint! Here's what I would probably do:
I would re-paint the 3 walls a light beige or even ivory but the headboard wall I'd make a deep taupe color kind of like BM Stardust

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...color/stardust

Below the color, you can see swatches that go well with it. See the ivory and beige tones?
Those are the ones I meant for the other 3 walls.
It will be beautiful.
And remember -- dark walls are not what make a room dark. Improper lighting is what does it.
Make sure to take advantage of good light and you'll be fine.
Looks like it will be a really nice room.
Good luck!

Strange! The color showed up just fine yesterday.
Let me try this again and see what happens.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...paint-color/stardust

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Another thought as I looked at your post:
Since your bedding has stripes, maybe paint the headboard wall with lighter or darker color stripes, keeping the color you already have chosen as the base.

Candy

Posts: 1247 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Your bedding selection is beautiful. Could you just use everything as is, and add some artwork above the bed? Maybe the right art and accessories will be all that is needed!

Posts: 3044 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Frame out a design on the HB wall using molding. Paint inside the frame area a coordinating color from your bedding.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9352 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post