Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  advice needed re flooring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

advice needed re flooring Sign In/Join 
posted
Our kitchen has creamy white cabinets and Caesarstone quartz in Chocolate Truffle. We love both. Should the flooring be light or dark? Any suggestions or thoughts will be appreciate. We have not decided upon what type of flooring we will install, but probably tile. It will help if I know what color I should be trying to find. We only know that we don't like "busy" floors that are so popular at this time. This flooring will extend into our dining area, as well as our laundry room and pantry. It's is an open floor plan. We will then need to decide what direction to go with the living area floor. It now has carpet. That can be another discussion! Thanks!

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Can you post pictures of the space? That will help in getting better feedback.

Posts: 9694 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
How about tile that looks like hardwood planks? This is what I just installed in my open plan kitchen/DR/LR space. A versatile color would be a warm midtone "oak,"neither too light nor too dark.

Dark wood-look tile floors are very dramatic and bleached driftwood version is more casual.

There is so much too choose from. http://www.houzz.com/wood_look-

The finishes these days are spectacular. Handsome and low-maintenance. And impervious to water. To me, the perfect flooring.

Posts: 5332 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you still prefer an actual ceramic tile floor, I'd probably like white with inserts of a brown diamond pattern or else, depending on light, reverse it to chocolate brown with inserts of a diamond pattern in white.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo24,

Posts: 1720 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you choose a white ceramic tile floor...remember the grout (if you use white) will get very dirty in a kitchen. I have that same thing in my bathroom and even by sealing it, it gets grimy looking.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will never have white kitchen floors again!!!! They are much too much work to keep presentable. My current kitchen floor is cork. I can't sing its praises loudly enough. Cork is very comfortable underfoot. I looked at a lot of samples and chose a very underatated dark brownish cork that blends in well with the oak floors that butt up against it. The pattern is not busy at all. It comes in large rectangular tiles and my carpenter told me it was very easy to install even though he hadn't worked with it before. And the best thing about the color is that it doesn't show dirt at all.

Posts: 3499 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Grace, Think about the tone or feeling you want for your room. Do you like high contrast or a more monochromatic look? It really depends on your tolerance level. I'd most likely go with a happy mid-tone to avoid all the cleaning issues with dark vs light.

But LOL!
I'll weigh in for now and say I love the white tile floors in our house (LR/DR, kitchen and den). They go with any decorating changes I make and no worries about coordinating with specific colors.

Good luck!

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Carry a sample of your cabinetry and countertop to tile places to check the vast possibilities tho the retail lighting will no doubt differ from your kitchen's at least you can narrow the choices down. Then take the candidates home to view in your room's lighting next to your cabinetry. BTW, consider the larger tiles laid on the diagonal which visually expand the spaces and look more interesting tho the instillation cost will be somewhat higher.

Posts: 18733 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
PS...be sure to have extra tiles for repairs down the line.

Posts: 18733 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I agree with Aychi....the wood look tile would be great, easy to care for, and be timeless.

Posts: 3229 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. If we use the wood-look tiles option, then I feel we should continue it on into the LR, foyer and hallway. That can cause another concern of mine. The wood-look tile would butt up to the 16" X 16" tile we just installed in our hall bath. Not sure if that would look ok. If we use a wood looking tiles in the kitchen and dining area, then what will look good in the open LR area? So many decision that I just freeze and don't do anything. Is there an easy way to upload photos to this site from my iphone? Thanks!

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I would continue the same tile into the living room, too. This will eliminate your fear of a busy look.

In regards to the half bath, I would not be concerned about the contrast. Most homes have different flooring in the baths.

Growing up in the 50's and 60's most homes had different flooring and paint colors in every room! That was what folks wanted. Your home will be lovely!

Posts: 3229 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Dec 31, 2013 10:50 PM Hide Post
I would continue the same tile into the living room, too. This will eliminate your fear of a busy look.

In regards to the half bath, I would not be concerned about the contrast. Most homes have different flooring in the baths.

I completely agree. The flow of the same tile throughout will unify your space. Bathrooms have doors, so the tile doesn't need to match the hallway.

You want to make sure the heights of the wood plank tile in the hall and the bath tile are the same. If they are, great. The tiles will butt up against each other with a line of grout.

If they are not, your installer can make adjustments or create a decorative threshold. This is a very common occurrence and not too big of a deal. Talk to your flooring dealer about it. Good luck!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5332 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
listen to froo froo! I can't tell you how our original choice for a floor changed, and the counter, if we hadn't had those samples...if you have any back problems and like to cook, I sure would think 2x before installing hard tile!

it's almost more cash than good carpeting, but sheet vinyl is my next wish list, (but that bamboo sounds good as well)the thicker the better! our kitchen is freezing! we have such a big floor space!

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grace121:
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. If we use the wood-look tiles option, then I feel we should continue it on into the LR, foyer and hallway. That can cause another concern of mine. The wood-look tile would butt up to the 16" X 16" tile we just installed in our hall bath. Not sure if that would look ok. Thanks!

Grace, we have different tiles that adjoin in the LR and bedroom. The installer adds a trim piece (sill or reducer) in the doorway. Also there is different tile between the hallway and another bathroom. You really don't notice the two different styles.

ETA: But I would do tile the same throughout the main areas if possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post