Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning/Favorite Find 4/22/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning/Favorite Find 4/22/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Good Morning everyone, happy Monday!

Who's ready to share pictures or tell us about your recent and/or favorite treasures? We always love to hear price too.

Please join in the fun...

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning, Skyler. I'm looking forward to seeing this week's pictures. I'll check back later.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
My amaryllises were lost but now have been found... just in time for Monday morning finds.Smile

They never formed flowers at Christmas, just leaves. I wonder if I'll get flowers this time around. It's about 2-1/2 years old. I forgot to water it the last few months thinking they were goners. Must be confused with all the unusual snow and colder temps we've been having....

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything today. Looking forward to the others' finds.

Good luck with the Amaryllises. Tried once and didn't do well at all.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6170 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nance425...I was watering my flowers over the weekend,mainly wanted to trim my orchids- and found 2 of my amaryllis blooming also, these have not bloomed for 3 years and NEVER at Christmas- also found 2 of my orchids with buds. My husband has been watering these plants and never noticed the blooms.

Wanda

Posts: 1726 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Hi Gracie, I'm looking forward to everyone's goodies too.

Nance, how nice of your amaryllis to put in an appearance just for us Smile I've always wanted to give those a try because I think they're so pretty.

Hi Strings, thanks for stopping in to take a peak.

gmvj, those are beautiful!

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thank you Skyler! Love MMF's! I can't believe it is Monday already!

I found few items on CL this week, BUT had to cancel the appointments so those items are gone, BUT it was FUN searching CL for treasures!

nance, gmvj,
OH Cool with Amaryllis plants!

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nance425 and GMVJ, I love your blooms. How funny that the amaryllis would bloom in spring rather than at Christmas time.

I do have a MMF thanks to a delivery from eBay. I think I've mentioned in the past that we have cut down our use of paper products significantly. One of the ways we've done so is to switch to cloth napkins that get used for several meals before going into the wash. We don't eat messy foods so there's no reason to wash them after every meal.

Anyway, I've been wanting to have some sort of napkin ring for each member of the family. I had thought that I might have some engraved, but the other week I happened across some on eBay that allow you to insert a card, so you can have whatever name you like on it. The set of eight even included extra cards. I figured these would work well and be more versatile than an engraved set and cheaper, too.

They arrived today, just in time for MMF. Here's one:

posted Hide Post
Graciepj, those are a good idea. We use a lot of paper projects---especially when the grands are here. Admire your green efforts.

Need to do better at this house.

Strings

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strings:
Graciepj, those are a good idea. We use a lot of paper projects---especially when the grands are here. Admire your green efforts.

Need to do better at this house.

Strings, I've never really known if it's more ecologically sound to use fabric items that have to be washed and dried, using water and energy, or paper products, but I know that cutting out purchases of paper products definitely saves us money. Smile

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
4th try to post this!!
It is much abbreviated as I am tired of typing!

Cold and snowy here, 3rd snowstorm in as many weeks!! So my find is appropriate:
A brand new king size BH&G comforter at GdWl for $16 w/discount. I will use it next holiday season in my MBR.

Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good find, Candy. Very festive.

Strings

posted Hide Post
Know what you mean on the price of paper products. Before the grands were here so much, dh and I used a good quality paper napkin. Now it is the cheapest we can get. Even using more than one per meal, think we come out ahead of the cost of nicer one. Do miss them though.

Strings

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Gracie,
Isn't that clever! You can also get inventive with paper in different colors and patterns from scrapbook paper as well!

I use cloth napkins as well, have always used them unless there is a cook out out of doors with a large crowd. My favorite every day napkins are getting worn and time to move on to another set. I have a large drawer full to chose from!

I still have about 40 red cloth napkins I bought in Virginia for the holidays and parties. I also use bar towels for everything when cleaning up. They go in a hot bleach wash (double rinsed) to use again and again. When they get worn or stained, out they go, but that takes some time before they get tired looking. I have better towels for my dishtowels this way I do not use paper towels, have always done this in my kitchen. Paper towels are used less frequently this way.

Christmas Candy,
I always type out my message on Notepad, and scroll down over the posts as I type, this way, even if I get interupted, I do not lose what I have typed. I lost so many posts over the years (getting timed out) that I finally made this a habit.

COLD AND SNOWY? Oh my! GREAT buy and great looking quilt!

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find, Candy.

Strings, I don't know how old your grandchildren are, but if they are relatively young, you might consider using tea towels as napkins for them. They are large, you can dampen one end if you need to clean sticky stuff off of hands and/or face, they are handy when you have a spill, and you can dump them in the washer with all of your other kitchen towels.

posted Hide Post
3 boys, 14, 12 and 7. Oldest and youngest will be a year older in Aug. They mostly use their clothes as napkins. Trying to break them of that. They do not eat at a table when they are with their Mother, so we are trying to instill some table manners in them.

Think I will pick up some bar towels instead of using so many paper towels.

Kitchen towels for napkins sounds like a good idea too. Thanks.

I do remember Lynette Jennings years ago saying that she had some tea towels that were used for napkins at out door BBQs. She would get the colorful ones.

Strings

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Gracie -- what a clever napkin ring!

I, too, use cloth napkins (always have) and bar towels and dish towels in the kitchen . . . never thought about it being "green" but I guess I am!

Candy -- what a pretty bedspread! Will look so good next winter!

Nothing for me this week -- haven't been anywhere although we're going to the city Friday and there is a great estate sale!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I have a special small hamper by the washer that is just for all my kitchen linens. One to hold bleachable and the other for my table napkins. Since I do a wash or two every other day, sometimes every day... depending on when DH has his days off... In that case the kitchen towels get changed out EACH time I need to use one (never know where it was used! LOL) YES I have a drawer full of bar towels just for the kitchen!

Linderhof,
And Estate sale! Can't wait to see next Monday's MMF's post!

posted Hide Post
Strings, I actually had a picture in my mind of a boy wiping his mouth with his shirt sleeve when I was posting about tea towels as napkins, but I didn't put anything in my post about that because I didn't want to offend you. In reality, the most well-mannered boy child will resort to a shirt sleeve as napkin when not under the eye of an adult or girlfriend. Big Grin I applaud you for trying to add some structured mealtimes to your grandsons' experience.

Martha, I'm already looking forward to next Monday because I just know you will find some wonderful treasures at the estate sale.

Mary Ruth, one thing I never have to worry about is a kitchen towel being used inappropriately without being tossed into the laundry sink because I've traumatized everyone in the family with my screeching about it. Luckily, once a young adult has had his obligatory starter fast food job, he has learned about HAACP and realizes that I'm not just a crazy lady.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Gracie,
I am still 'training' DH! He scrunches up the towel and puts it on the counter. That means if wet, no chance to dry... so I put it in the laundry bin.

DH means well, but had to take on the whole load of cooking and taking care of things when I fell, there was no one to 'teach' him about how the kitchen is run. He never really cooked beyond the 'grill' out of doors. He was a Drill Instructor in the Marines for many years and before that traveled and lived all over the world so he just ate out.

This house with me is the MOST domestication he has EVER had! LOL

BTW the mailman came with my order so I will share. I got this on Amazon.com and it was a GIFT to myself when the doctor said '4 more weeks in the boot' I thought I will get that scone pan I have always wanted, and this way my scones will be one more step towards perfection! Smile I am a happy camper!

Nordic ware scone pan

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
ok so technically it is Tuesday but I received my new kindle today and this is the inaugural post!

I also found Nordic ware - a mini cake pan - but this takes the cake!

Posts: 2957 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pan, Mary Ruth. I just bought a new NordicWare pan for tea cakes. Darn, I should have posted that in MMF. Maybe I will once I make the cakes.

Junk Collector, I love seeing new finds no matter what day it is. I hope you love your Kindle.

posted Hide Post
Junkcollector, which Kindle did you get? I am thinking about getting an eReader and can't decide which to get.

I think a new Kindle is a very good MMF!

Strings

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
You know... I have always followed this thread and NEVER once did I think of it as only posting on MONDAY! HA HA. I always thought of it as the post that 'starts' on Monday for that week! Since it takes all week for most of our regular posters to see the posts... ???

Love the FINDS! Gracie, good idea! Bake the cakes then post photos of the new pan AND the cakes, darn we can't taste them, but we can imagine!

Looking at Kindles, but am also waiting for kindle-like features to be integrated into an iPad or other multi-task unit.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strings:
Junkcollector, which Kindle did you get? I am thinking about getting an eReader and can't decide which to get.

I think a new Kindle is a very good MMF!

I bought the new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 that you are all likely to see on TV ads compared to the Ipad. this thing is SHARP! Web, Skype, Reader, etc... There is also another "upgraded" model but whew - pricey!

It was a splurge, but well worth it! (even though it wouldn't let me type out "Bundt" cake pan - darn auto correct!)

Posts: 2957 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Junkcollector, thank you. Think that is what my dsis has. Really don't know if I would use it enough to justify the expense. Enjoy yours.

Strings