Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds 1-6-14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds 1-6-14 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Happy Monday everyone. I hope everyone had a terrific holiday season and is having a good 2014.

Please join in our weekly fun by sharing pics or telling us about any great treasures you've uncovered. We always love to hear prices.

As for me, DH and I are ready to continue our hunt for the perfect wood floor. I'm having a lot of trouble choosing one!

Okay, let's see those treasures...

Posts: 10496 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll start...I was off work for two weeks (back today, alas), so I had plenty of time for browsing around.

I have two pics...

At a church thift store I found this "distressed" antique mirror for $8.00 and another nice silver tray for $5.00. (The lady at the thrift store asked me if I was sure I wanted the mirror in that condition, but as I told her, I've actually seen directions on pinterest for MAKING them look like that!)Then at Goodwill I found a whole box of little blueware pieces for $5.00. They are unlabeled and nothing special, but for that price...

Posts: 4081 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then on Sat. DH and I went for a long drive along some backroads and stopped at an antique mall which was a mecca for Blue Willow! I really had to restrain myself!

In the back row are two US-made plates for $5.00 each, and between them another US-made plate for $7.00. In the middle row are two English-made plates for $8.75 each, and a cute little oil & vinegar set (unmarked) for $6.00. Front row (from another antique store), four English-made cup and saucer sets for $6.00 each.

Posts: 4081 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I bought this adorable frame at Pier 1 on clearance for $9.00. It's just so cute Smile

my pictures

Posts: 4707 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see what wood floors you choose Skyler. Wood floors are just so beautiful. Do you know if you want a dark wood or a light? Do you like the new wider planks or the narrow ones? Can't wait for pictures Smile

Nita, I just LOVE that mirror. What a deal for $5.00. You can't beat that.

Posts: 4707 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
And we're off to a great start!

Nitalynn, hope you enjoyed your two week vacation. Terrific finds! I love your mirror and even if you didn't like the distressed look (which I personally love) there are so many creative things you could do to change it. It's beautiful. LOve all your blue china . It's so timeless. You and LOS could open your own blue and white china store!

Lilsophie, that IS an adorable frame. I love the colors in it. It says very "beachy" to me.
As for my floors, I definitely want wide planks and a light, distressed color. There are just so many to choose from.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
With Christmas just barely behind us, could I possibly be thinking about next year's decorations? Well, yes, I am! Many times I plan a year or even two ahead, especially when I want to incorporate quirky or vintage pieces!

I have been looking high and low for a pretty deer, and I found him at an after Christmas sale! Yipee!

I found this oil painting about two years ago at a thrift store. It is hard to see, but it has a dusting of snow, and seems to look early winterish to me. Anyway, I have had the painting in my stash waiting to find a little deer and some other things to make a little scene in front of it for Christmas. The bottle brush trees won't work, but if I can find some branchier trees, and maybe a silver footed tray to set the deer and trees etc. on, I will be on my way! I'll be on the look out this year!

Here is to the continual, everlasting hunt for treasures!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn, you definitely scored esp with the mirror.

Plus you have added nicely to your collection (if you have one) of blue & white china. I think I have some plates like the ones in back on either side of the blue willow, will have to check it out.

Cocok you really are planning ahead! And lilsophie that really is an adorable frame. We just had a Pier one open here, have to check it out!

Posts: 12611 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn - I have that pattern in small squared off plates and just love them! Don't know if the square is for bread or cake/dessert but the pattern is really pretty in the blue and white.

Love that you were able to get such lovely cups and saucers too.

Nice score!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3271 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Skyler,
Thank you for keeping this thread going, even through the Holidays! What a trooper! Smile
OOH can't wait to see what you find for flooring!
I find it easier to pick something, IF I first eliminate what I do NOT Like!

Nitalynn,
WOW look at that mirror! LOVE it! you stole that at $8! Love the silver tray, I have one like that, I like that edging! Love the blue ware too, nice modern clean pattern, great for mixing in with other blue and white dishes.
Love your Blue Willow! What GREAT finds!!!

You really did GREAT!

lilsophie,
AW what a sweet frame!

cocok,
LOVE that painting & deer... what a nice combination! I found a few nice trees in the small train (hobby) section of a hobby store. This will make a nice wintery scene! Smile

1st attempt was 'moderated'... trying again
No finds for me this week... we just got home from a week long visit with son, daughter, grand daughters...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
my find was in my very own house! when I was putting away Christmas tubs pulled out my gma's old suitcase, thinking it had a dress in it...no dress but 2 picture fames! have no idea when or where they're from...(it's crs syndrome)

I have a dear friend in texas who paints landscapes, and am thinking of sending them to her...maybe at her next showing she can use them?

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Cocok, that entire arrangement is beautiful! I really love that deer. I'm sure you'll find just the trees you're looking for….you have an entire year Smile

My pleasure Mary Ruth, thanks for always supporting the thread. I'm sure you had a great visit with your family.

sjf, those are the best finds…they're free! When I tell my DH I want to go shopping he tells me to just get the ladder out and go up into the attic. Smarty pants.