Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Any info about this desk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any info about this desk? Sign In/Join 
posted
Can anyone give me any information about the style and/or age of this desk. I bought it at a thrift shop with the intent to paint it. I love the drawer pulls, they are so unusual, and want to reuse them after cleaning them up.

I posted to the Antiques and Collectables board, too, but thought someone here might have an idea.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
looks to be mid century modern. very cute - what are your plans for it?

Posts: 3036 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
IF it had different legs I would call it vintage. But the bottom with the kick probably means it was part of a modern bedroom set, or a kitchen cabinet set. Depends also on the veneer, from a mark under the second drawer on the right looking like veneer flaked off, (and also on the left of the pencil drawer and bottom left drawer bank). This means it won't take too much sanding before actually sanding off the veneer.

I am just about sure it is not a valuable antique, but looks like a piece that was not abused too much to make it to today in that condition.

Posts: 9545 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses. I didn't think it was valuable, but the pulls and angular frames around the drawers made it look a bit different. There is some missing veneer that I was hoping to either patch or fill with wood filler, then paint it cream and the pulls a bronze color. I'm planning on using it as a vanity. It has lots of storage and the bottom drawers are quite deep. I hope it works out the way I envision it.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2bake:
...then paint it cream and the pulls a bronze color. I'm planning on using it as a vanity.

yes, yes and yes!

Posts: 3036 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post