Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Maintenance of Recessed Lights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maintenance of Recessed Lights Sign In/Join 
posted
When I purchased my current house, it had horrible track lighting and recessed lighting in many rooms. I replaced the track lighting in the kitchen and breakfast rooms with recessed lighting.

In the family room, I was able to redo with recessed lighting using smaller bulbs 2 of the bulbs have burned out and when I went to replace them, I found that it was not only difficult to find a 45 watt bulb but that they are only sold individually for $10.00 apiece. Package says they are supposed to last 2 years. I may have installed them closer to 2 1/2 years ago but I rarely turn them on. You can bet for 8 bulbs to replace, I'm NEVER going to turn them on now!!!!! The recessed lights in the kitchen were installed at the same time. I use them daily got for at least 10 hoursand I've never had one burn out. Let's hope that replacement bulbs are NOT going to be as expensive.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Girl, the cost of light bulbs these days is absurd! My opinion is that it's all based on some marginal changes, new packaging touting how great they are, and 98% propaganda. If you can find them in the wattage you need at reasonable prices, snatch them up. They don't go bad on the shelf in your garage. As you may know, I work at a hardware store these days and the cost hike on these things is one of the most appalling things I've seen.

We have all of our overhead lighting on dimmers. You can use them on recessed lighting too. Saves energy and extends bulb life but keeps full bulb strength available for those times when you need it. We find them very handy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: *Bella*,

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post