Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Attention recent bathroom remodelers.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attention recent bathroom remodelers. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
I am curious about your vanity brand choice and why. Also, are you happy with your choice?

Posts: 18397 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
We used an antique buffet. Love it! Probably not the answer you were looking for...right?

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are always so helpful, Froo Froo and I hate seeing your posts asking for help getting little to no response. I wish I could give you information, but I haven't re-done a bath...ever. Have you tried posting on the Garden Web Bathrooms forum? I don't post over there, but I think that forum has more traffic than this one.

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Gracie, actually I have come across some related topics there but nothing specifically related to my inquiries. It was kind of you to try to help me tho and I appreciate your effort.

This whole remodel thing is driving me bonkers.

BTW, tho I love the concept of using an old dresser, it is not an option for us. I am inquiring about brand vanities.

Posts: 18397 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a local cabinet maker? They often have competitive prices and can make everything to your specifications. I never use box stores for cabinets because I don't find their prices that reasonable. When you buy locally, you are dealing directly with the people who will be making your vanity and you are supporting a local merchant too!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I also use a local cabinet maker and their prices are competitive. I usually find that pre-made vanities don't fit as I would like them to.

Posts: 7077 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Froo,

Do you have this link? There are some posts for vanities that might help with information.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/searc...forum_name=Bathrooms

Another thread that is older and relates to kitchen cabinets. But it has information about different brands that might be helpful for you.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forum...sg0616464714456.html

Check locally to see if you have any cabinet liquidator places that may have different styles on display.

A custom cabinet maker will work with your needs for the bath storage and space. Might be more expensive but factor in the long term of the item.

Good luck finding the perfect vanity!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9329 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Funny having a 50+ year old home and a 10 year old home and the height of vanities have definitely changed. (probably because average people are taller?)

4 and half year old DGD loves Grandma's house because she does not need a stool to wash her hands in the bathroom. Wink

On a side note, we are gradually replacing the toilets with comfort height ones, if you are replacing, have you decided on a toilet yet?

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I've used Master Bath in the past and had no problem with them.

Unfortunately for us, we mostly usually go middle of the road in renos and have purchased many vanities from the big box stores.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Froo I am sorry too to not have answered before, but I have never re-done a bathroom.

We live very simply with very old things. After doing without anything but two of those metal rolling rack things, DH built these two cabinets.
One for him, one for me. They are the same size but the insides differ.

I chose a single tile for the tops and I have been very pleased with these. They are about 15 years old.

I do have to move them to clean the floor, but we can also take them with us. Our sink, like Conrad's is low.

We have only one bathroom and a half bath but this last is very awkwardly situated in house.

When we installed a sink in that area we made it quite tall for our comfort.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12176 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: Met for a second time w/ local cabinet distributor/granite co. this AM and am now weighing between Decora and Bertch. DH likes the Bertch style better as it's one unit vs two cabinets abutted..plus it's approx $400 cheaper tho it takes two weeks longer to come in. I am still undecided as I weigh the fact we most likely will install a shallow cabinet that will project only 3" from the entry wall for added storage (it's 6" deep) and only the Decora brand gives us this option. Tho I most likely will have a frosted type door on the wall cabinet, the white trim may not match if I go w/ another brand, but I suppose I could paint that. It's always something. Thanks again all for your thoughts and suggestions.

posted Hide Post
Froo, my DD and her husband are in the process of upgrading their two baths. Their house is about 15 years old, with dated vinyl flooring, cheap mirrors and lighting, cheap flimsy pickled oak vanities. They had X dollars from their tax refund to spend, so they shopped wisely going to the big box stores and small kitchen and bath stores.

They priced Kraftmaid vanities and tops at the big box stores and decided they were above their budget. They went to a small kitchen/bath store and priced Kraftmaid and saved quite a chunk of money on their vanities and mirrors. I think she told me they were around $400 less for each vanity by going this route. This included real wood ends, soft close doors, etc. Of course, they were shopping for two baths and I think that gave them some negotiating room. They basically ordered without seeing them, but are very pleased.

Posts: 648 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tuesday and others.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
A cabinet maker sounds like a better choice. Even at Home Depot and Lowes, with the upper end cabinet brands you're still getting some laminated MDF along with solid wood.

I know not everyone can make their own, but when we get around to it, I will design it myself and have DH make them. And of course they need to be about 4-5 inches higher than the builders model, because we are both tall.

I know this will sound so outdated, but I actually want cultured marble with an integral sink for the top. They are so easy to keep clean.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post