Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Artwork Question...***Picture added***Added more Pictures!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Artwork Question...***Picture added***Added more Pictures!!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
I bought two pieces of art work that are 1 inch thick. They are not framed. You can hang them unframed, but I think they need a frame.
Can I frame something that is 1" thick? If so how does that work when hanging on wall. I keep thinking the frame wont hang against the wall, but the picture will. Maybe I'm confused.
HELP
Pic added. Do you think added a frame to these pictures will work? If not I will return. They are too plain without frames to me. I did google canvas stretchers but am still confused to how they work. Or should I just return them?? I think they will be really cute with frames.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

my pictures

Posts: 4772 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
If you google "canvas stretchers" you will find they can be various thicknesses, even more than 1" and still work with frames. Frames are not flat on the back and most if not all of the stretcher will fit into the groove at the back of the frame. Looks fine when hanging on the wall.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joyluck, I will check that out Smile

2nd pic

my pictures

Posts: 4772 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Bumping up because I added pictures Smile

posted Hide Post
I like them -- as is.
If you feel you don't like them without a frame I think you should return them. There are many more pictures to choose from out there.
To add a frame to those pictures is to ruin the aesthetic IMO.

Posts: 1715 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
quote:
Originally posted by arepo24:
I like them -- as is.
If you feel you don't like them without a frame I think you should return them. There are many more pictures to choose from out there.
To add a frame to those pictures is to ruin the aesthetic IMO.

I agree. Unframed wrapped canvas helps keep the focus on the image, like you would see in a modern gallery. It's a casual, contemporary look that is perfect for graphic arts, like the coffee cup artwork. Frames would not really add anything to the artwork; why spend the money?

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
IMO the style of a picture does not preclude framing. Any style can be framed or left unframed. There are suitable frames for modern pics which would work well with yours. If you really like them and don't want to return them take them to a framing shop (or craft store like Michaels) and try various styles.

I actually like unframed pictures and have several original oil paintings I have left unframed, and even removed from their original frames. Some artists paint the side edge of the canvas black which looks good unframed.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joyluck:
IMO the style of a picture does not preclude framing. Any style can be framed or left unframed. There are suitable frames for modern pics which would work well with yours. If you really like them and don't want to return them take them to a framing shop (or craft store like Michaels) and try various styles.

I actually like unframed pictures and have several original oil paintings I have left unframed, and even removed from their original frames. Some artists paint the side edge of the canvas black which looks good unframed.

Thank you all for your words and advice, it was very helpful.

This got me thinking Joyluck...ome artists paint the side edge of the canvas black which looks good unframed.

posted Hide Post
You would have hard time finding a frame to fit unless you go to a framing store and likely have it custom made. Most frames are made for much smaller works.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Really cute pics Sophie!

Posts: 8030 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annie17:
Really cute pics Sophie!

Thanks Annie, good to see you, where you been lol

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Just trying to make it through this brutal winter. You are so lucky you live in a warm area!

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annie17:
Just trying to make it through this brutal winter. You are so lucky you live in a warm area!

Oh I feel for you Annie. I would hate living and dealing with snow. It has to be tough. What state do you live in? Spring is coming Smile
No decorating from you lately??

posted Hide Post
I also like them unframed. I think they'd be "overbearing" with a frame. They look really nice.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I do like them as is but they might also benefit from framing. My dad had a picture of the alps that he took and had it framed shadowbox style. Just thin black wooden sides but deep so looking at it head on there was a 1/4" or so line of black so it didn't blend into the wall color. Maybe Michael's with a coupon? (I haven't ben ther in ages so guessing here)

piney

Posts: 3216 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I was trying to find a frame similar to what Pinecone is describing. I think the prints would be great as they are but I also like this thin type of frame. What do you think?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie, I'm just now seeing this. I really really like it. Great idea on the framing. I may just give that a try.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Ok I'm going to show 3 more pics. Tell me what you all think. I hung them in my dining room. What do you all think, and what about the right side of the window, is it mistake with no artwork there?? Could I do something similar on that side?? Im thinking it looks bare on right side of wall. There is another wall there and it has a mirror and plate racks. Is this a go or a no, lol. Return or keep? lol
3 pics coming.

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post

my pictures

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
I love your chandelier and your whole dining area!

My opinion on the pictures is, I think they take away from the window. The space looks better without the pictures.

Posts: 2829 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
What does the rest of that wall look like, the side where you want to add the pictures. I like the pictures on their own, but I agree with Annie. Your space looks great already, I don't think you need the pics.

Can you use them somewhere else, maybe in your kitchen somehow arranged in your coffee maker area..if there is room.

Posts: 9689 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
The other side looks like this

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Maybe I can hang the coffee pics in my kitchen above my pie safe. I will give that a try too and show you, when I take some pics.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I think they look great. . . unframed and hung the way you have. The whole d.r. looks very nice.

I would not return them but neither would I think they had to be a "forever" part of the decor.

Posts: 12929 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
The other side looks like this

Not that side the other side where you hung up the pictures. I just wanted to see how much wall space you had over there.

Posts: 9689 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I like them the way you have them hung by the window!

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I like the artwork. But when I look into my dining room, something isn't working for me. I think the art is to plain for me. I may try framing them like Annie17 and Pinecone mentioned to me (shadowbox frame). Plus I think I will try them over my pie safe that sits in my kitchen and see how that looks.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
IMO, the art is way too small to have any kind of visual impact in your lovely dining room. And, framing them would not make much of a difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Aych, I don't they are working to my liking either unfortunately. I will try them in kitchen tomorrow if I have time and see if they look any better there.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Good luck, sophie. I can't tell you how many times we have moved around artwork in our home until it looks right and I am satisfied.

But, My DH will be happy to tell you exactly how many times he has gone up and down ladders, hammered holes in the walls and patched them up. He keeps count, you know. Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
Good luck, sophie. I can't tell you how many times we have moved around artwork in our home until it looks right and I am satisfied.

But, My DH will be happy to tell you exactly how many times he has gone up and down ladders, hammered holes in the walls and patched them up. He keeps count, you know. Smile

That's hilarious Aych LOL

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lilsophie,

Another option for your pictures...

Hang the pic and then add a larger frame around them. If they are 12 inch square, add another frame say 16 x 16 square. Good Luck!

Ay,
Counting nail holes on the wall...LOL!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9488 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
Lilsophie,

Another option for your pictures...

Hang the pic and then add a larger frame around them. If they are 12 inch square, add another frame say 16 x 16 square. Good Luck!

Ay,
Counting nail holes on the wall...LOL!

Beau, that sounds like an interesting idea. Do you happen to have a picture for me to see, of what it would look like??

Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
I feel that the suject matter and style of those is too casual and too contemporary for your more formally furnished space.

Posts: 1637 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lilsophie,

It would look similar to this pic with the frame inside a frame. It would just be a matter of finding a larger frame (no glass) and hang it. Then hang the mocha prints inside the larger frame.

You could easily make the frames from molding too if you have a miter saw. Then just paint the trim and hang.

The tiles are pretty and colorful. They add a lot of interest to your room. They could also be hung with molding around them.

Lowes has the ready made trims that might work. Stack 2 tiles on top of each other and put on each side of the shutter.

Similar to this one...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_364038...6page%3D1&facetInfo=

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9488 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
Lilsophie,

It would look similar to this pic with the frame inside a frame. It would just be a matter of finding a larger frame (no glass) and hang it. Then hang the mocha prints inside the larger frame.

You could easily make the frames from molding too if you have a miter saw. Then just paint the trim and hang.

The tiles are pretty and colorful. They add a lot of interest to your room. They could also be hung with molding around them.

Lowes has the ready made trims that might work. Stack 2 tiles on top of each other and put on each side of the shutter.

Similar to this one...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_364038...6page%3D1&facetInfo=

I LOVE this look Beau. I'm gonna give this a try before I return them Smile